Main Menu

Walking canes

Started by Daniel, December 03, 2009, 09:58:35 PM

Daniel

Are cadets allowed to use canes in blues or am I not supposed to wear my blues with an assistance device
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

lordmonar

If it medically needed....you may use it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Daniel

Even without doctors orders? My leg brace broke and I was told to walk with a cane but have no written orders.
Also wouldn't it take away from our professionalism?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

RiverAux

I'm not aware of any regulation prohibiting the use of a cane or a wheelchair if it came to that.

lordmonar

Quote from: Daniel L on December 03, 2009, 10:07:30 PM
Even without doctors orders? My leg brace broke and I was told to walk with a cane but have no written orders.
If you really need it....you need it.  Does it take away from professionalism?  Maybe a little but what is the alternative?  Being in civilain cloths? 

If you need it, use the cane.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

alamrcn

If this isn't a facetious question........

I'd argue that it is something you're not wearing, like a purse or a cell phone, so the uniform regulation shouldn't apply. It's closer to a bicycle or even a car.

A friend in my wing was in a car accident as a cadet long ago, and as a senior member had used a wheelchair with a hot pink frame - seriously! And no one ever said a thing.

Use your best judgement and maybe take the purse regulation as a guide... Find one that is plain and black and compliments the uniform. Or just use what you already have. Or go with the jewel encrusted pimp cane, if you have the means  ;)

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

PA Guy

Quote from: Daniel L on December 03, 2009, 10:07:30 PM

If you need it use it.  If you go on a large base you will see active duty personnel in uniform using canes, crutches and wearing slings all of the time.  It's no big deal.

MIKE

Nobody had a problem when I used both of mine.  I got gigged once WIWAC because they were dirty though.  Just remember to wear backpacks properly and use a verbal greeting in lieu of saluting.
Mike Johnston

Gunner C

Quote from: MIKE on December 04, 2009, 12:30:51 AM
Nobody had a problem when I used both of mine.  I got gigged once WIWAC because they were dirty though.  Just remember to wear backpacks properly and use a verbal greeting in lieu of saluting.
+1

If you, or anyone else, is in the cadet program and needs to use a cane short term or permanently, BRAVO!  We need more "never quit" types.  I've served in the RM with folks with "wooden" legs, two crutches, eye patches, and personally know of one SF group vice commander (LTC) who's 100% blind from wounds (now retired) and another CPT who's serving as a B-Detachment executive officer.

Don't ever think that having a physical challenge means you're not professional.

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/11/11/veterans_day.html

(Ya think this guy is a pro?)

The sky is the limit. Stick with it.  You have my salute, sir.

ColonelJack

Hear, hear!

As a matter of routine, I carry a cane.  (More along the lines of Bat Masterson than one who actually needs it, though.)  Any time one sees me in civilian wear, I have my black cane with the brass tip -- or my tan walnut cane with the silver tip -- with me.

But in uniform, since I don't need it for medical reasons, I leave my cane in the car.

If you need it, use it. 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

The CyBorg is destroyed

If it is medically necessary for:

Recuperation from an accident, surgery, etc.

As a support for a disabling condition,

USE IT. 

As a former safety officer, I would be more likely to gig you for needing one and not using it to try and be in compliance with uniform regs and maybe have an accident than for an unlikely uniform violation. 

Safety is the Prime Directive.

Just remember, as others have said, that your uniform is otherwise good-to-go and you make sure to give a verbal greeting to all CAP officers and Armed Forces personnel.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

I assume that we are talking about canes for medical reasons as one would use crutches and not sporting "bubba sticks" or "shillelaghs" in uniform.  For the medical purpose there is no problem, however, one should use good judgment in using such things for elements of "style."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Lord

Top reasons to carry a cane in Uniform:

1) Legitimate medical need ( Who are you kidding? Stay home and rest up!)
2) Because Doctor House is totally awesome!
3) Allows you to board commercial airliners earlier than the Coach class people.
4) Chicks dig the wounded war-vet look, and can't tell a Cadet from a soldier. (Try an eye patch to round out the look)
5) Those Zombies are not just going to kill themselves you know!
6) In case you are playing in a high school musical.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MIKE

The British military have Drill Canes.

I have a set of these in tactical black:

Mike Johnston

Daniel

Quote from: Major Lord on December 07, 2009, 01:02:36 AM
Top reasons to carry a cane in Uniform:

1) Legitimate medical need ( Who are you kidding? Stay home and rest up!)
2) Because Doctor House is totally awesome!
3) Allows you to board commercial airliners earlier than the Coach class people.
4) Chicks dig the wounded war-vet look, and can't tell a Cadet from a soldier. (Try an eye patch to round out the look)
5) Those Zombies are not just going to kill themselves you know!
6) In case you are playing in a high school musical.

Major Lord

In that aspect I actually hate House he uses his cane wrong!

I use the ever-so stylish offset cane
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

C-150

As far as uniform regs. It is ok to use a cane, crutches, a brace or wheelchair. Some on here get so wrapped in looking professional that they don't see the forest for the trees. Tell someone returning from the middle east after being wounded that a cane doesn't look professional in uniform. Try that and see how it works for you.

Pylon

Quote from: C-150 on December 07, 2009, 01:48:38 PM
Some on here get so wrapped in looking professional that they don't see the forest for the trees. Tell someone returning from the middle east after being wounded that a cane doesn't look professional in uniform. Try that and see how it works for you.

Actually, I don't know who you mean it so wrapped on here...  not a single person on here advocated not using one if it were needed.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

alamrcn

Quote from: Sparky"shillelaghs"

LOL! Does the Irish military even allow those???

Other than you and Spike from the "Droopy" cartoons, I don't think anyone else uses that word...

I think we're all in agreement that this is a medical case, and not a fassion statement.

And again, using other uniform "add-ons" already noted in 39-1 as a guide... If you can get a cane in black or even Air Force blue, that would be best. If not, then so be it. You need one regardless.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

flyerthom

Just modify one of these

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2870.0

ducking and running away fast enough to pass a PT test
TC

Major Carrales

Quote from: alamrcn on December 07, 2009, 03:37:43 PM
Quote from: Sparky"shillelaghs"

LOL! Does the Irish military even allow those???

Other than you and Spike from the "Droopy" cartoons, I don't think anyone else uses that word...

I think we're all in agreement that this is a medical case, and not a fassion statement.

And again, using other uniform "add-ons" already noted in 39-1 as a guide... If you can get a cane in black or even Air Force blue, that would be best. If not, then so be it. You need one regardless.

While your knowledge of classic MGM cartoons is quite good, I was referring to a biography of General Douglas MacArthur which one part indicated that he honored a New York Guard or National Army Unit that utilized a shillelaghs as an authorized part of its uniform.

It would not be far from the reality to see such things, based on the number or tartans and kilts I've seen with Mess Dress.   Which are sources of pride for Celtic peoples.

The idea of a "cane" for "style" purpose can also apply to the Fred Astaire types that wear them with tuxedos.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

"If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where fashion sits,
Puttin' on the ritz."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on December 08, 2009, 04:23:53 AM
"If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where fashion sits,
Puttin' on the ritz."

Try this...
"Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek. "

Commander
SWR-TX-454

alamrcn

PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ!! Oh my... It just begs to be watched again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH2nQHPs4aA
Always a side buster!

And more on topic, here something that might actually be of interest to Civil Air Patrol members in uniform that utilize a cane...
http://cgi.ebay.com/United-States-AIR-FORCE-Cane-Bridges-Walking-Stick-NEW_W0QQitemZ220436055398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3353034566
I'll bet you could get one made with the CAP seal, too! Oh wait, Vanguard would have to do it  :-\

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

flyerthom

Quote from: alamrcn on December 10, 2009, 04:01:12 PM

And more on topic, here something that might actually be of interest to Civil Air Patrol members in uniform that utilize a cane...
http://cgi.ebay.com/United-States-AIR-FORCE-Cane-Bridges-Walking-Stick-NEW_W0QQitemZ220436055398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3353034566
I'll bet you could get one made with the CAP seal, too! Oh wait, Vanguard would have to do it  :-\

There's a Tedda cartoon in there somewhere. An old senior with a bit of a Prussian attitude towards cadets, a slightly um stout cadet sergeant and an annoyed IG yelling KLINK! THAT DIDN'T COME FROM VANGUARD!   >:D
TC