Vintage USAF Overcoat

Started by CDCTF, November 23, 2009, 02:35:13 PM

CDCTF

In one of my many vintage USAF buying sprees I picked up a vintage USAF wool overcoat. I bought it because it was a good price and I collect military memorabilia. I was wondering if you guys think there would be a problem wearing it with my blues as it gets very cold around here. I know it's not the same as the one pictured in the 39-1, then again they still show wing patches on the blues. I'll probably end up buying an overcoat more to 39-1 regs eventually but really I'm just interested in wearing it for the time being.

Link to similar ebay item  http://cgi.ebay.com/1949-AIRFORCE-BLUE-WOOL-OVERCOAT-USAF-28-OZ-SIZE41S_W0QQitemZ390115040407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad4ab1c97

Майор Хаткевич

I hope you didn't spend anywhere near $150 for it.

I picked up one of these 3-4 years ago for around $25 shipped, and it was a much later issue, maybe the 70's. But even then the shade was off, and the friend I got it for opted not to wear it due to not being in regs, and being out of shade.

It also is more reminiscent of some Luftwaffe uniform than anything USAF currently. :P

CDCTF

I got it for 20 bucks plus shipping. I collect these things so I'm glad I got it anyways even if I don't wear it with my uniform.

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1a. Service uniforms include the service dress uniform, long-sleeve light blue blouse/shirt, and shortsleeve
light blue blouse/shirt. These uniforms are authorized for year-round wear. Cadets may continue
to wear obsolete uniform items for a 2-year period following the phase-out date except when
participating in national activities where only currently authorized items will be worn.
The old-style Air
Force service uniform for cadets will not be covered by this phase out rule and will continue to be
authorized indefinitely. When old and new items are worn, the coat and slacks/skirt/trousers will be of a
matching material (same shade, weave, and weight). Blue uniform items except shirts/blouses should be
dry cleaned unless label specifies differently.
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on November 23, 2009, 04:21:03 PM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1a. Service uniforms include the service dress uniform, long-sleeve light blue blouse/shirt, and shortsleeve
light blue blouse/shirt. These uniforms are authorized for year-round wear. Cadets may continue
to wear obsolete uniform items for a 2-year period following the phase-out date except when
participating in national activities where only currently authorized items will be worn.
The old-style Air
Force service uniform for cadets will not be covered by this phase out rule and will continue to be
authorized indefinitely. When old and new items are worn, the coat and slacks/skirt/trousers will be of a
matching material (same shade, weave, and weight). Blue uniform items except shirts/blouses should be
dry cleaned unless label specifies differently.

And the coat from 1949 isn't even in the manual.

CDCTF

Well, have you read it from front to back, you never know, the oh so updated 39-1 may have something in there from 1949 (mines from 51) LOL.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cadetTF on November 23, 2009, 04:30:41 PM
Well, have you read it from front to back, you never know, the oh so updated 39-1 may have something in there from 1949 (mines from 51) LOL.

I have actually. In fact, I'm teaching a class on CAPM 39-1 to a unit tomorrow. ;)

Nothing in there that looks like this coat, and definitely not from that time period.

Sure, cadets can wear unauthorized outerwear on top of the uniform if the conditions warrant it, and this coat is better than an Orange Ski Jacket, but if you have the right coat, I'd opt for that one.

CDCTF

I was being sarcastic. I have actually read most of the uniform manual. I guess I'll need to look for that horrible looking one that is in regs. It's hard to find in surplus stores and they are really expensive online. Thanks for the input, didn't think I would get away with wearing it at my squadron anyway.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cadetTF on November 23, 2009, 04:39:29 PM
I was being sarcastic. I have actually read most of the uniform manual. I guess I'll need to look for that horrible looking one that is in regs. It's hard to find in surplus stores and they are really expensive online. Thanks for the input, didn't think I would get away with wearing it at my squadron anyway.

Sarcasm online doesn't work most times.

The current AF ones aren't that hard to find or that expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COAT-ALL-WEATHER-AIR-FORCE-MANS-USED-W-LINER-SIZE-40R_W0QQitemZ390120978618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad505b8ba

One suggestion with this, go up in size.

I wear a 42 Service Coat, and the Overcoat I purchased was a 44 with another 42 Service Coat.

The size difference helps make sure it doesn't burst my ribbons or anything else.

CDCTF

I was actually just looking at that one. I wear a 39 service coat so this just may work. Finally one my size. Definitely will bid on this. Everything I find in surplus stores in either huge or tiny, but I guess that's why it is surplus. Thanks for all the help!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cadetTF on November 23, 2009, 04:50:21 PM
I was actually just looking at that one. I wear a 39 service coat so this just may work. Finally one my size. Definitely will bid on this. Everything I find in surplus stores in either huge or tiny, but I guess that's why it is surplus. Thanks for all the help!

Most AD folks seem to hit the 38-44 Range, so those seem hard/easy to find depending on place and time.