wear of CAP uniform before/after events

Started by Rob Sherlin, October 30, 2008, 06:37:35 AM

JayT

Quote from: DNall on November 02, 2008, 06:26:32 AM
Quote from: JThemann on November 02, 2008, 05:12:18 AM
It's pretty clearly stated in 39-1 when and why you can wear the uniform.

I never really brough the 'It's good PR' argument, someone care to explain it better to be?

I don't understand why you believe that CAP members should be allowed to wear the uniform to ball games or shopping or what not. Honestly, I don't see to many regular military types doing that much these days.

If you spend any time around a military base, you'll see quite a lot of it. When you wear a uniform all the time, it's just cloths. There's no reason you shouldn't wear it from work to the store or anything else. I've worn ACUs to a football game (granted it was A&M vs Army), dress blues to weddings & non-military formal events, we're encouraged to wear service dress to church one day a year. If that's all fine for the real military, why would it not be fine for CAP?

Honestly there aren't too many rules about when you can't wear a military uniform, just that you're responsible for your conduct when you do. We where uniforms enough though that we don't really want to wear them when we don't have to, not unless there's a good reason (and half-price tickets to a baseball game is a good reason).

I can see where it needs to be a little tighter for CAP cause we don't have any UCMJ to hold you to, and the novelty of the uniform hasn't quite worn off. But it doesn't need to be taken too far either.

Okay, I'll give you that, but how many CAP squadrons met at military bases? In how many communities is CAP the only thing that resembles a military presence?

Also, you're professional soldiers. It's your job, and your life. CAP is a volunteer organization.

If you wanna wear your uniform to a ball game, make it a squadron event. But make sure that everyone is in the same uniform, with proper jackets, then we'll talk.

I'm a paid EMT, who wears a uniform to work. If I want people to know I'm an EMT outside of my job, then I'll wear a tee shirt.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Major Carrales

If you are taking a group of Cadets to a ballgame as a CAP "fellowship" activity, I don;t see any problem with it if it is approved by the Commander.

Frankly, at the 2007 PAO academy, then Brig General Counter recommended that we should be seen in uniform more often.  Of course, in the most professional manner we could.

Folks there brought up the regulations and practice of 1 hour before/after, but she (and others) went on to express that until we are"visible" we would always be invisible. (note: my paraphrase)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: JThemann on November 02, 2008, 04:03:00 PM

I'm a paid EMT, who wears a uniform to work. If I want people to know I'm an EMT outside of my job, then I'll wear a tee shirt.

I can't say I agree, a tee shirt is basically "underwear."

I think that the golf-shirt is good for the same purpose, however, if you want people to know you are Civil Air Patrol a good organized approved wear of the uniform make a solid statement.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Rob Sherlin

For the question-"How many CAP squadrons met at bases?"

The Niagara Falls CAP meet at the Air Reserve base every week. But that's a regular meet and the uniform question doesn't apply. On the other hand, all of the air shows we have here are also at the same place.

I think Eclipse had the main point to resolve whether it's ok or not.....Get the Squadron Commanders permission.

I also tend to side with Sparky and the Brig General Counter on that we should be able to wear uniforms more often as long as it's properly done (the whole PR thing, and letting people know we exist). But, I'm not saying to wear your uniform just to wear it. I just think if there is something going on where you have to be in uniform (or allowed to be), maybe the whole 1 hour thing is somewhat working against us as far as public awareness goes.
Maybe CAP needs more events to have members show themselves looking sharp and professional in uniform. But, how could CAP get invited and involved in more events, when over half of the population doesn't even know we exist?
   In every school in America (at least I think in every school), there's some point or another where they are studying the Space, Astronauts and the Solar System. During that point, how many schools actually say "Hey, the Civil Air Patrol is big on Aerospace Education, let's see if we can get them here to talk to the class!" I think this doesn't happen to often because we're not even thought of at all (out of sight, out of mind).
    I know rules are rules, but if the rules are set to where 85% of the time, the only time we're seen in uniform is by other CAP members, then it really doesn't do much for public awareness. Therefore we will always remain somewhat invisible to most of the public. Rules are rules, but they're not set in stone and can be changed to serve better purpose (hence Sparky's quote).
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116