Wear of GTM Badge?

Started by skippytim, May 30, 2008, 12:14:33 AM

skippytim

I have a question. A cadet at my colorado squadron, a SSGT to be specific has been wearing his GTM badge for months. Today he was showing me his new pic on his 101 card, and I noticed he is on trainee status for GTM3.

I don't think you can wear the badge on Trainee status, but I wanted to make sure before I said anything to him.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Nope, have to have been fully qualified as GTM3 first.  Trainee with no prior qual is a no go.

Quote from: CAPR 35-64. Requirements for Award of the Ground Team Badges:
a. Basic Ground Team Badge:
1) Be qualified as a CAP ground team member in accordance with the CAP 60-series regulations or
2) Graduate from the CAP National Ground Search and Rescue School Basic Course or equivalent program as determined by NHQ CAP/DO and certified by the school/activity director. Each wing and region is encouraged to host ground team schools with the intent of certifying their members. All schools must ensure trainees meet the current regulatory requirements for qualification in the specialty before the rating is awarded.
Mike Johnston

skippytim

Okay, the one thing I'm thinking though before I inform him of his reg violation, he had it before I came, and he's been a SSGT like a year.

Could his first aid or BCUT or something have expired, which set him back to trainee status? And if so, wouldn't wearing it be in regs?  ???

MIKE

You don't lose the badge if you fail to requal.
Mike Johnston

skippytim

Okay. Hmm, I'm not sure...I'll have to check with him next Thursday.

Eclipse

I'd say based on the amount of time its takes to be a SSGT vs the amount of time it takes most cadets to complete GT3 its not likely.

If he went to Nesa and then let things lapse, that's a possibility, otherwise he should be able to produce an old 101 and/or show online where he originally qual'ed.

A lapse of activity would not drop him back to trainee status, he would simply not be current.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

If you really think the C/SSgt (sp!) hasn't earned it ever - even in the past-  respectfully bring it up to your chain of command and leave it at that.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2008, 12:38:54 AMA lapse of activity would not drop him back to trainee status, he would simply not be current.

If you are not current i.e. parts are expired, I think it will come back as Supervised Trainee... It does on mine for GTM3* and UDF*.
Mike Johnston

_

Remember if he graduated from NESA he can wear the badge even if he isn't or has never been fully qualified as a GTM.  At least that's how the reg seems to read.

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on May 30, 2008, 12:44:53 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2008, 12:38:54 AMA lapse of activity would not drop him back to trainee status, he would simply not be current.

If you are not current i.e. parts are expired, I think it will come back as Supervised Trainee... It does on mine for GTM3* and UDF*.

Are we talking eServices or WMU?

I don't think the WMU drops you to trainee.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

DNall

ES awards in eServices should reflect award of the badge. It's incredibly unlikely that a C/SSgt has been in over three years AFTER initial GTM3 qual so that it could have expired & dropped back to trainee status. It would not drop for expiration of first aid or similar.

Either way, a C/SSgt for a year is not advancing in the program at the minimum required rate. He should be counseled by adult leadership that he needs to complete a couple more achievements real fast or risk being cut from the program or other disciplinary action, including at very minimum restriction from all ES activities till he finds his priorities & gets his act together.

Short Field

Easy to check to see if he was once fully qualified as a GTM3 if you have the right permissions.

In eServices, go to Ops Quals and click on the 101 tab.  Enter the person's info (name or CAPID) and you will see current 101 card achievements.  On the same page, scroll to the top and click on "Click here to show achievements"   It will expand the page and show you any expired achievements and when they expired.  I just check a person and it show the AOBD achievement that expired in 2006.  That means it was last renewed in 2003. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DNall

^ WHAT??? I just went though a whole crazy process with NHQ over the last few days cause they said they couldn't verify past ES achievements.

I finally explained the ES Awards section to them so they could see my MO qual, so I could punch up AOBD.

Which apparently PSC doesn't actually post for approval till you have both AOBD & GBD posted, even though it only requires one or the other.

PSC is the only thing missing for OSC. Already approved for IC3-T. Guess I'll get around to that sometime after I get back.

Short Field

ES Awards have to be entered by someone.  It is not automatic.

You only need one - AOBD or GBD - to meet the prerequisites for PSC.  Just checked it on eServices and it says in red - 1 Task.  I am not a GBD but it accepted me for training as a PSC.  You also have to have been a GTM3 at some point.  It doesn't show on eServices but it is in 60-3 and the Task Guide.  That is something your ES training officer should know and make sure happens prior to approving a person to train as a PSC.

IMHO, the person who approved you for IC3 training needs retraining and a course in ethics.  He basically certified that you meet all the prerequisites for training as a IC3 - which includes being qualified as a OSC and PSC.  GIGO. 

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I am a IC3.   ;)
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

Quote from: skippytim on May 30, 2008, 12:14:33 AM
I have a question. A cadet at my colorado squadron, a SSGT to be specific has been wearing his GTM badge for months. Today he was showing me his new pic on his 101 card, and I noticed he is on trainee status for GTM3.

I don't think you can wear the badge on Trainee status, but I wanted to make sure before I said anything to him.

You can't .....but his 101 card may not be updated.  It is easy to have someone check his status in Eservices.  Then make him take it off if necessary.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP