Main Menu

VSAF Uniform

Started by Ricochet13, January 11, 2008, 05:15:08 PM

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on January 12, 2008, 07:24:52 PM
QuoteWhy wouldn't they want civilians (us) wearing a civilian uniform when helping out?

It's not gonna be the end of the world if we can't wear our military uniforms for this thing guys.

Whats more important? Helping the Air Force out? Or making ourselves feel better by wearing BDUs or what not?
I said it would be my preference.  Why?  Two reasons -- 1.  It requires CAP members to purchase yet another new uniform in order to do the mission when they already own a uniform and 2.  The AF has already authorized us to wear AF-style uniforms and there is no real good reason to not allow them to be worn while doing this mission. 

The only reason not to that has ever been presented is that we're worried that CAP will not follow proper customs and courtesies.  If a CAP member can't figure those out then they probably can't figure out the volunteer job they're trying to do on base anyway, so it isn't an issue.  Frankly, it is a bit of put-down in saying that essentially we can't be trusted to wear the uniform they've said we can wear. 

However, as I said earlier, I strongly expect that it won't be very long before the uniform requirement is relaxed and if this is what it takes to get us started, its worth it. 

Why don't you stop looking at it as a put down and just be happy we have the ability to help the Air Force out more?

Sometimes, you guys act like the Air Force senior guys sit around in smoking jackets and think of how to demean us bastard step children more.

Do you honestly believe some Air Force officer said 'Man, CAP can't get there C&C correct, so lets design  them another uniform."
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mikeylikey

Quote from: JThemann on January 13, 2008, 02:05:27 AM
Do you honestly believe some Air Force officer said 'Man, CAP can't get there C&C correct, so lets design  them another uniform."

YES.  OR Vanguard said  "Hey CAP here is something new for you to do....."
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

QuoteDo you honestly believe some Air Force officer said 'Man, CAP can't get there C&C correct, so lets design  them another uniform."

Well, its either that, or some variation of that comment OR somebody in CAP said the very same thing and suggested it to them (after all you can't go two posts on CAPTalk without finding someone saying that CAP members can't tie their boots). 

How else do we end up with a brand new uniform specifically for this mission? 

Major Carrales

I hope this replaces the GOLF SHIRT, I would wear this.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 13, 2008, 08:47:33 AM
I hope this replaces the GOLF SHIRT, I would wear this.

Ditto. Now if they added a spot for a name, better still.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mikeylikey

^ Why do you need a name on the shirt?
What's up monkeys?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 13, 2008, 03:05:18 PM
^ Why do you need a name on the shirt?

I dunno... give 'em the option to do so if the wearer prefers. Not mando.

But then the aircrew mafia will soon be clamoring for wings on the new shirt. Then the ground-pounders will snivel if they can't wear their GT badges, finally everyone else will want their specialty track badge embroidered... whatta vicious circle!  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mikeylikey

^ Agreed, it would get out of hand.  Almost like it is right now!  I say we need a new shirt, and I am glad they matched it up with Khaki's.  I am just wondering how long until they say if your fat or wearing a beard, you can't wear the new uniform.
What's up monkeys?

AlphaSigOU

And offer it in both long sleeve and short sleeve lengths!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

wuzafuzz

To quote Higgin's from Magnum P.I., "Oh my GOD!"

Why on Earth do we need yet another uniform?!?!?!  Jeez louise!  Say what you want about polo shirts, but this VSAF get up fits the same niche.  Maybe the VSAF "uniform" will replace the polo shirt and grey slacks combo, but that seems like an unnecessary change and expense.  On a positive note, maybe the new shirt will be available with long sleeves.

Sigh....
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

BuckeyeDEJ

You guys talk about relaxing this polo-shirt thing and allowing CAP members to wear the blues? I think that will depend on how many fatties participate. Fat and slovenly people jump in on VSAF, everyone willl stay in the polo shirt. Period.

The Air Force is tired of CAP embarrassing it, let's face it. If you can't wear the uniform right, how in hell can you be trusted with anything more? This isn't the same CAP I joined in 1984, but it's because CAP's standards are so low -- and the organization has become mamby-pamby (safety pledge, paranoia about any physical activity becoming hazing, etc.).

American Cadet League members look plenty more professional than CAPers, and they're a totally civilian organization. Why is that? They appear to be better disciplined. No one has the guts to tell a volunteer to wear the uniform right or get out of it pronto. Of course, some of those unit commanders aren't wearing it right, either.

I know this is a rant, but we really, really need to wake up this organization, lest we lose it.

This is a foot back in the door. Be patient, grasshopper.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

One possible reason for the new uniform shirt is that it doesn't have your rank on it like many of the CAP polo shirts do.  Since the intention of the new uniform is to divest CAP of any military image, having the rank on there would cause untold chaos within the AF, possibly leading to the reabsorption of the AF by the Army.   

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RiverAux on January 13, 2008, 10:15:37 PM
One possible reason for the new uniform shirt is that it doesn't have your rank on it like many of the CAP polo shirts do.  Since the intention of the new uniform is to divest CAP of any military image, having the rank on there would cause untold chaos within the AF, possibly leading to the reabsorption of the AF by the Army.   

And that would no doubt cause the graves of Generals Arnold, LeMay, Doolittle, Spaatz and a few others that fought for a separate Air Force to do some high-speed spinning six feet under!  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Falshrmjgr

I think the "New" uniform has much more to do with preventing pretentious CAP'ers from wearing their wing laden golf shirts even than showing rank.

Now I dare you to wear your Black Leather Flight Jacket over this Uniform!   >:D
Jaeger

"Some say there are only wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs in the world.  They forget the feral sheep."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on January 13, 2008, 10:15:37 PM

What polo shirts have rank on them?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JohnKachenmeister

Its ugly.

No wings.

If I wanted to wear a uniform like that, I'd go work at Home Depot.

Something wrong with the existing Golf Shirt combination?

Every time we get a new mission we need a new uniform?
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 15, 2008, 02:19:23 AM
Every time we get a new mission we need a new uniform?

Of Course, Vanguard invents our new missions, we buy their products, they tell NHQ to invent new "better" versions, we buy their products, Vanguard tells them to rescind the new mission, we are forced to go back to the old product, which most of us recycled in the trash and the whole cycle repeats over and over and over and over and over and over.....................

However, with this introduction, we need to ditch the Grey pants and current polos NOW.  Lets phase this new uniform in over 6 months.
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

I would surmise that this shirt ( I wont call it a uniform) was put out so that:

1 ) all the vollunteers would be wearing the same exact thing.
-- To forgo the AF vs Corp uniform battle, along with the fact that there are at least two versions of the polo.

2)  cant be worn wrong,

3) doesnt have rank.
Something that the AF wanted to avoid.

4) No rank means CAP Officers can work under NCOs and do grunt jobs

5) non-military shirt in keeping with job purpose: family support

------------------

These observations aside, I hate it and would give anything to be in the
military uniform doing unit augmentation, instead of this family support stuff ( bases have groups for this already)

- Im going off the fact that the website said something about family support-

All things aside, I'll put this on, salute, do the job, and hope that this will be an IN to eventually allow us to wear the military uniforms while performing more important tasks.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

^ Currently civilian volunteers are given a CAC card so they can move around Base/ Post and access computers if need be.  Does anyone here think CAPERS in the VSAF will get a CAC Card?!?  I don't.
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Nope, the USAF will say that our current library cards can get us on base and that we wont be doing any job requiring network access.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student