Main Menu

VSAF Uniform

Started by Ricochet13, January 11, 2008, 05:15:08 PM

Ricochet13

Quote from: tedda on January 10, 2008, 10:43:13 PM
Always with the knee-jerk up in here...

Chances are, a distinctive polo and khakis are typical dress for Wing Administrators and State Directors (of liaison services)
They are around this wing, and the two gentlemen in those positions who work in our Dept of Military Affairs building exemplify professionalism.

Do not, I say again, do not turn this into a uniform thread.

hahahahahahahahah!!  ;D  I promise!! No uniform thread!!!  ;D  hahahahahahahahahah!!! ;D

Quote from: modHere's a nice safe place for you guys who cannot resist discussing everything there is to discuss about the uniform.  Go nuts.
-TA

Nomex Maximus

I don't *DO* polo shirts.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Smokey

***POLO****

I don't even own a horse......and I don't play golf.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Gunner C

RocketPropelled

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on January 11, 2008, 05:30:31 PM
I don't *DO* polo shirts.

Well then, good sir, perhaps this combination better suits your high sartorial standards?

ddelaney103

Having had another chance to review the web version of the story, I see a few things:

• This seems to be directed at supporting military families - I see nothing that would indicate support to operations.
  • The "uniform" seems to be a CAP, as opposed to a VSAF, uniform.  This seems to indicate VSAF is working for CAP instead of us working for VSAF.
  • Still no idea on the work envisioned or the imagined skillset.

Right now, the jury is still out if this is just another "Mission for America" or a mission suited for CAP.

Pylon

Someone recently coined the term the "Seven Mission Spread" for CAP.

CAP's missions now look more like CP, AE, ES, HLD, DDR, Safety, Wreaths Across America, VSAF...

What we need to ask ourselves:

What exactly is CAP's true mission these days?  Does VSAF fit into our missions?  How does it?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

I predict this thread will grow to be at least 3x as big as the thread discussing the VSAF program itself.

I guess it's true that the amount of discussion on an issue is inversely proportional to the issue's actual importance.

It's a business casual outfit with a CAP logo... big deal.  The attire is comparable to what state directors wear these days.

Besides, VSAF will live or die based on the actions of the participants, not what they're wearing.

Enough with the uniform religious wars.  Crickey!

NIN

Quote from: Pylon on January 11, 2008, 08:03:22 PM
Someone recently coined the term the "Seven Mission Spread" for CAP.

Yeah, that guy was some major wiseacre...

And its more properly "Seven Mission Spread™"

QuoteCAP's missions now look more like CP, AE, ES, HLD, DDR, Safety, Wreaths Across America, VSAF...

What we need to ask ourselves:

What exactly is CAP's true mission these days?  Does VSAF fit into our missions?  How does it?

AE, ES and CP.

Then Safety, DDR, Wreaths Across America, CISM...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Lancer

Quote from: RocketPropelled on January 11, 2008, 06:44:34 PM
Well then, good sir, perhaps this combination better suits your high sartorial standards?

Gee, that looks an awful lot like the Oxford shirt I mentioned last week... and it's certainly not the 'polo' as detailed in the article. Oops much?  ;D

sardak

There was no need to mention the uniform in the article.  It could have been omitted and had absolutely zero effect on the message.  It's like the uniform description was added just so there could be another CAPTalk thread.

The article describes one uniform and the accompanying photo shows a uniform that doesn't match what is described in the article.  Makes one wonder about public affairs. Let's add an unnecessary item to the article, then add an unrelated photo.

Not to mention the creation of one more uniform combo, which is?.  Glad CAP has its priorities straight.

Mike

RiverAux

QuoteDoes VSAF fit into our missions? 
Helping the AF perform non-combat missions is one of the specific tasks of CAP outlined in the federal legislation and this would seem to fally quite nicely in that category. 

RiverAux

I'd hate to derail a uniform thread by bringing up something else like I did in my previous post, so back to the VSAF uniform:

There is some benefit in going with this uniform in that all the CAP people that participate will be wearing the same thing and it give us some brand identification with those we're working with as compared to 5 different CAP people showing up to help wearing 5 different uniforms. 

I think the proposed uniform is probably okay assuming that the volunteer tasks are basically going to be indoor office work of some kind or another.

Personally, I would rather have it be one of the military style uniforms, but as any CAPTalker knows, if any AF person accidentally salutes a CAP officer the whole American military system will collapse.... 

Realistically though, if we have to wear this uniform to get our foot in the door, so be it.  Maybe at some point in the future other options would be available.

RogueLeader

The shirt really looks good.  Not that I would want to wear it during a CAP meeting, but if it meant helping on an AF Base- you better believe that I would.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Is Col. Chitwood the designated CAP uniform model now? 

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

One possibility --- When CG Auxies are augmenting they are supposed to remove their office insignia (looks like rank, but isn't) from their uniforms.  However, it isn't uncommon at all for the CG unit commander to tel them to go ahead and wear it anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point either the CAP people in this program ask or the AF unit commander tells them to wear one of the military uniforms.  After all, the AF guys probably aren't going to know our uniform regulations anyway, and might think it strange to see us in those uniforms.  Or, perhaps they don't want people in civvies working in their units.  So, they may exercise a little command perogitive. 

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on January 12, 2008, 02:05:55 PM
One possibility --- When CG Auxies are augmenting they are supposed to remove their office insignia (looks like rank, but isn't) from their uniforms.  However, it isn't uncommon at all for the CG unit commander to tel them to go ahead and wear it anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point either the CAP people in this program ask or the AF unit commander tells them to wear one of the military uniforms.  After all, the AF guys probably aren't going to know our uniform regulations anyway, and might think it strange to see us in those uniforms.  Or, perhaps they don't want people in civvies working in their units.  So, they may exercise a little command perogitive. 

Why wouldn't they want civilians (us) wearing a civilian uniform when helping out?

It's not gonna be the end of the world if we can't wear our military uniforms for this thing guys.

Whats more important? Helping the Air Force out? Or making ourselves feel better by wearing BDUs or what not?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mikeylikey

I like the new Polo and Khaki look!   :o
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

QuoteWhy wouldn't they want civilians (us) wearing a civilian uniform when helping out?

It's not gonna be the end of the world if we can't wear our military uniforms for this thing guys.

Whats more important? Helping the Air Force out? Or making ourselves feel better by wearing BDUs or what not?
I said it would be my preference.  Why?  Two reasons -- 1.  It requires CAP members to purchase yet another new uniform in order to do the mission when they already own a uniform and 2.  The AF has already authorized us to wear AF-style uniforms and there is no real good reason to not allow them to be worn while doing this mission. 

The only reason not to that has ever been presented is that we're worried that CAP will not follow proper customs and courtesies.  If a CAP member can't figure those out then they probably can't figure out the volunteer job they're trying to do on base anyway, so it isn't an issue.  Frankly, it is a bit of put-down in saying that essentially we can't be trusted to wear the uniform they've said we can wear. 

However, as I said earlier, I strongly expect that it won't be very long before the uniform requirement is relaxed and if this is what it takes to get us started, its worth it.