Main Menu

Uniform Troubles

Started by Cadet Bonnett, June 20, 2005, 10:45:36 PM

Cadet Bonnett

does anyone understnad how to wear the BDU AND THE BLUES. If so could you please explain.

Cadet Bonnett
NH Wing.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 20, 2005, 10:45:36 PM
does anyone understnad how to wear the BDU AND THE BLUES. If so could you please explain.

Cadet Bonnett
NH Wing.

For one, you'll want to look at the Uniform Manual yourself.  Everything about our uniforms and how to properly wear them is contained within the CAP Uniform Manual, or the CAPM 39-1.

You can find a copy of it on the National CAP website here:  http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082203102943.pdf

Your flight sergeant and/or flight commander at your squadron should also be guiding you on how to properly wear this uniform.

Lastly, if you're confused, feel free to ask questions here, or ask your flight staff at your home unit.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

Thank you. The Website you gave me is not working on my computer is it PDF.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Pylon

Yes.  It is a PDF file.  You will need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat in order to do do many online things with CAP.  All of CAP's regulations, manuals, and pamphlets come in PDF format.  CAP's forms are available only in PDF or Microsoft Word format, and many other CAP documents are distributed as PDFs.

Therefore, head over to Adobe's website and download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Then you will be able to go back and read the Uniform manual along with all of the other CAP publications.

Cmdbuddy

Also, with your new cadet packet, there are AWESOME color pics of how to wear your uniforms.  If you need help, please ask specific questions, and we'll be more than happy to help you.  Remember who and what you are representing, especially in the eyes of the general public, when you are wearing the uniform. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

thank you. i wear the BDU right but i don't have my blues yet
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

ladyreferee

Question to all.  Anyone here wear the shiny vinyl black shoes that you can get at bx's?  And if so, how do you get skuffs off of them?
Thanks!

CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

you'd want to polish the spot for a rather medium length of time, then use a towel or sock , and rub in the same spot youpolished. It worked for my friends Combat Boots.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: ladyreferee on June 23, 2005, 12:49:31 AM
Question to all.  Anyone here wear the shiny vinyl black shoes that you can get at bx's?  And if so, how do you get skuffs off of them?
Thanks!

Small scuffs come out with polishing. Big scuffs, where the finish is damaged, are there forever.

See this post on CS:
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?p=20655&highlight=#20655

As for the comment on combat boots, they are leather, not "plastic". Different methods needed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ladyreferee

Thanks for the heads up!  I tried pledge and also car wax - both do a nice job on my hockey helmet but didn't help here!  Bummer.

Xeno

Quote from: ladyreferee on June 24, 2005, 02:08:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up!  I tried pledge and also car wax - both do a nice job on my hockey helmet but didn't help here!  Bummer.

You should get yourself some KIWI Parade Gloss and polish like mad, I can't really think of a magical cure for scuffs aside from heavy polishing... well, unless you have access to an industrial strength electric floor waxer that is...
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

Pace

Scuffs don't come out of pleather (shiny shoes), at least not from my experience.  Just get some regular leather shoes and apply Leather Luster to make those shoes just as shiny as pleather.  As scuffs form, reapply Leather Luster and problem fixed.  It's messy (especially until you learn how to apply the stuff correctly), but it's the best of both worlds:  really bright and consisant shine plus the ability to get scuffs out.
Lt Col, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: dcpacemaker on June 24, 2005, 04:45:31 AM
Scuffs don't come out of pleather (shiny shoes), at least not from my experience.  Just get some regular leather shoes and apply Leather Luster to make those shoes just as shiny as pleather.  As scuffs form, reapply Leather Luster and problem fixed.  It's messy (especially until you learn how to apply the stuff correctly), but it's the best of both worlds:  really bright and consisant shine plus the ability to get scuffs out.

you have an awesome idea dcpacemaker...
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

MIKE

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 24, 2005, 08:04:25 PM
Quote from: dcpacemaker on June 24, 2005, 04:45:31 AM

you have an awesome idea dcpacemaker...

I wish he would stop calling it pleather... It makes me uncomfortable.  :D

I bought this Restore stuff back when I wore the plastic shoes... Kinda worked on light scuffs and you can use it as edge dressing also.  Finally gave up on the plastic shoes after destroying two pair and bought a leather pair which are much easier to repair with regular polish.

Also, I have heard that Leather Luster is evil, but YMMV.

Mike Johnston

Pace

I use it all the time on my boots and leather shoes.  It doesn't crack the leather as some claim, and it's easy to repair scuffs.  The only downside is that it's messy and it takes hours to dry before you can wear the shoes/boots, but it's well worth the shine!

Oh yeah, and pleather   :D
Sorry, I had to do it.
Lt Col, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

what is so bad about pleather.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 27, 2005, 08:28:34 PM
what is so bad about pleather.
For shoes, a lot. it damages easily, and doesn't last as long as real leather. In addition, common shoe repairs, like new heels or soles, are more difficult or even impossible.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Skyray

Having been brought up Marine, I have a real prejudice against patent leather, or pleather as dcp abbreviates it.  I have a pair of them for uniformity with my Coast Guard Auxiliary outfit.  They need to be protected from scuffing, because in my experience they can't repaired.  Lemon Pledge brings them to a high degree of polish, and smells nice too.

As for spit shining, I saw a documentary the other day about the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  They stated that it took about eight hours to shine their shoes.  From my experience, they are under by about half for the initial shine, it gets easier after that.  The best thing about a spit shine is that scuffs can be repaired.  I have seen suede desert boots that were spit shined; I'll bet that took several weeks.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SarDragon

I think my long CS post on shoes got lost in the last data dump, but here's a shorter version.

Patent leather and these new "plastic" (aka Corfam) shoes are not the same. Patent leather is real leather, just made really smooth and shiny by, you guessed it, a patent process. They are a bit more durable, and mild to moderate scuffs can be fixed, even if you need to have it done by a cobbler. OTOH, Corfams are not fixable. Once the surface is damaged, the shoe is toast.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Basically Regs

What is it with the shiny boots? Why do they need to be shiny?

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Basically Regs on July 06, 2005, 11:19:24 PM

i agree why do they need to be shiny.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on July 07, 2005, 12:07:38 AM

You need to polish you boots as a sign of dedication to your uniform and appearance.  Those with dull boots make the uniform look bad, and show no level of care nor respect for the uniform.  It's a very simple concept.

pixelwonk

Quote from: Pylon on July 07, 2005, 04:25:19 AM
Quote from: Cheergirl on July 07, 2005, 12:07:38 AM

You need to polish you boots as a sign of dedication to your uniform and appearance. Those with dull boots make the uniform look bad, and show no level of care nor respect for the uniform. It's a very simple concept.

To add to what he said:

It helps to develop discipline in you.  By spending time polishing your boots or shoes before the meeting rather than text-messaging your friends on your phone, playing PS2, or whatever else you like to do, you demonstrate discipline in the form of self respect, respect for the uniform and the type of individual it represents. 
It's no different than ironing your rumpled blouse or taking care to make sure your gig line is straight.

Oh, and, it makes them look good, period.

MIKE

Quote from: tedda on July 07, 2005, 04:37:32 AM
Oh, and, it makes them look good, period.

True, they do look good and it is important to not look like a rag bag but sometimes I think this garri-trooper thing with CAP is getting out of hand... I know cadets who starch there BDU to death and spend hours on their boots so their uniform looks perfect (Except for the excessive fading from the starch.), yet they don't know how to wear the Service Uniform properly... If your BDU looks better than your S/S Service Uniform we have a problem.  I think we in CAP are losing sight of the difference between a "Dress Uniform" and a "Battle Dress" or utility uniform.

Notice how the Army and Marines have done away with shiny black boots and starching or ironing with the no shine tan boots and permanent press and wrinkle free treatments on the new ACU and MCCUU... Already seeing a desert boot cleaning kit from Kiwi out though.  The Air Force and Navy both have utility uniforms in development that have similar features.
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on July 07, 2005, 02:22:51 PM
True, they do look good and it is important to not look like a rag bag but sometimes I think this garri-trooper thing with CAP is getting out of hand... I know cadets who starch there BDU to death and spend hours on their boots so their uniform looks perfect (Except for the excessive fading from the starch.), yet they don't know how to wear the Service Uniform properly...

Although I haven't seen that, I do not doubt it for a second.
I do believe that is a localized problem, however, and not a CAP-wide trend.  There are some units that do almost no get-yourself-dirty types of activities at all, and wear their blues most of the time.  Guess how that turns out when they send a few of their members to a SAREX?  Nametape/insignia edges not folded under... patches applied with adhesives , etc...

Every squadron, and sometimes group, is it's own little fiefdom, with idiosyncrasies particular to that unit.  Often, the problems are related to uniforms, whether they're BDUs or blues.

ladyreferee

Hi Tedda,
  You spiked my interest - Nametape/insignia edges not folded under...   OK, when I sewed them I used my zigzag alot from the sewing machine.  Is that not right then?  Being that you and I are from the same wing, are there any training sessions on these types of knowledge for uniforms that teach us to do it right the first time?  Or does that come from attending the SLS (that was canceled this June....).  Would it be OK if I attended a Madison meeting sometime to brush shoulders with others (or is that frowned upon having 'outside' squadron members visiting)?

MIKE

Quote from: ladyreferee on July 07, 2005, 03:17:42 PM
You spiked my interest - Nametape/insignia edges not folded under...   OK, when I sewed them I used my zigzag alot from the sewing machine.  Is that not right then? 

A rather close straight stitch is better using a thread color that closely matches the tape... But then, they don't tell you that in the manual.  Folding the raw edges of the tapes under at the pocket edges prevents them from fraying... If you do not do this they will come undone... Happened to me on my first set of BDUs WIWAC.

Edit: Wash the tapes and insignia first to prevent them shrinking up ones sewn on the uniform.
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

Quote from: ladyreferee on July 07, 2005, 03:17:42 PM
Hi Tedda,
You spiked my interest - Nametape/insignia edges not folded under... OK, when I sewed them I used my zigzag alot from the sewing machine. Is that not right then? Being that you and I are from the same wing, are there any training sessions on these types of knowledge for uniforms that teach us to do it right the first time? Or does that come from attending the SLS (that was canceled this June....). Would it be OK if I attended a Madison meeting sometime to brush shoulders with others (or is that frowned upon having 'outside' squadron members visiting)?

Hi Cheryl,  nice to sse you here.

Like Mike said, the insignia should have the ends folded under to eliminate fraying, which will happen after a few trips through the laundry.  As far as a stitch goes, I can't recall ever reading regulations requiring a certain stitch.  Having said that, you want to have the stitching as least visible as possible, so just use your best judgment. 

As far as training in the wing, unfortunately not.  I do have good news though!
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Gieco.  Ok, well not really... It just popped into my head and I couldn't resist.  What I actually was going to say was that being not too far away, I could stop by the unit meeting sometime and give a few pointers on uniform issues that are often confused or misinterpreted.  Also, although I'm not a member of the Madison unit, I know they would have no objection to visitors.  They meet on Monday nights around 7pm, I believe.

Xeno

Unpolished, dull boots look sloppy and make the wearer look lazy. Especially if the wearer is military personell.

Shiny boots are pretty and make us look distinguished and responsible.

C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

shorning

If the scuffs aren't too deep and other methods aren't working, you can use a little fingernail polish remover (acetone).  It's only good for a limited number of uses, but it does work for some of the tougher scuffs.  If they are too deep, nothing will work.

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: shorning on July 11, 2005, 08:56:20 AM

If the scuffs aren't too deep and other methods aren't working, you can use a little fingernail polish remover (acetone).  It's only good for a limited number of uses, but it does work for some of the tougher scuffs.  If they are too deep, nothing will work.
couldn't you also use gluoster black nail polish and go over it. that's what one of cadets staff have said that we could do, alot of us do it on encampments nights so that we don't die during expection...... Haven't gone to encampment yet but i am going on auguast 6th....
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: Christin Bonnett on July 11, 2005, 08:12:52 PM
Quote from: shorning on July 11, 2005, 08:56:20 AM

couldn't you also use gluoster black nail polish and go over it. [redacted]
Nope. It will be very obvious that it's been touched up.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mike9093CAP

Hello All,

I am new to this board but I would like to add a comment on the boots about not being polished and looking sloppy. AF personnel that work on the flightlines have combat boots that can not be polished because of the special treatment that is put on them to protect the boot from acids and other aircraft fluids, so you will see active duty AF with unshined boots walking on a base because of that reason. So a lot of times cadets that have an active duty parent may get a pair of these boots and they can not be polished to a high shine the best you will get a a lite dull shine. So sometimes the cadet is not being lazy with the polish on the boots.

1Lt Michael Carter
Leadership Officer
McGuire Composite Squadron
New Jersey Wing

shorning

Quote from: Mike9093CAP on July 20, 2005, 06:49:27 PM
Hello All,

I am new to this board but I would like to add a comment on the boots about not being polished and looking sloppy. AF personnel that work on the flightlines have combat boots that can not be polished because of the special treatment that is put on them to protect the boot from acids and other aircraft fluids, so you will see active duty AF with unshined boots walking on a base because of that reason. So a lot of times cadets that have an active duty parent may get a pair of these boots and they can not be polished to a high shine the best you will get a a lite dull shine. So sometimes the cadet is not being lazy with the polish on the boots.

???
Hmmm...I'm active duty Air Force, and I've seen those boot shine up real well.  It depends on how you're shining them.  I've heard the "myth" of boots that won't shine and found the only ones I can't get to shine are my desert boots. ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: Mike9093CAP on July 20, 2005, 06:49:27 PM
[redacted] the special treatment that is put on them to protect the boot from acids and other aircraft fluids [further redacted]
Is this something new? I've never seen anything like that in my travels. I thought all the flightline/flight/flightdeck boots were pretty much the same across the services, and I know of nothing other than regular shoe care products applied by the owners. A decent coat of wax actually works pretty well as a protectant, even if the leather is scarred up to the point of not being shineable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

airforcecolors

Thanks!

Ma'am,

I have gotten them  at the 440th Airlift Base Exchange (in Milwaukee). I saw that you were from Wisconsin, so if you are ever in Milwaukee stop in at the BX. If they don't have your size, they will be more than happy to order a pair for you and send them to you.
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

airforcecolors

Thanks!

Whoops...sry i cant read. I just found the Orange-glo works really well if they are minor scrapes. Use newspaper to wip the orange-glo off your shoes (I know it sounds weird, but it works really well).
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

airforcecolors

Quote from: Cadet Bonnett on July 07, 2005, 12:07:38 AM

It adds to the professional look. It shows that you have a little dedication to the uniform. You will understand in good time.

capchiro

When I was in Warrant Officer Candidate Flight School, prior to jungle boots, a directive came down that we were not to shine our boots.  Supposedly the wax was a combustible and there was the apparent fire hazard.  I don't think anyone ever paid any attention to the directive, but it was published.  On the other hand, there was the incident with the Hershey Chocolate Bars, but that is a story for another time.

Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

WICAPMOM

:o Hershey's Chocolate?

My interest is peeked...  :P
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

capchiro

Julie, It's not much of a story, but our TAC officer had been chewing our tails claiming that our shoes looked like they had been polished with Chocolate bars.  That night we sent a runner to the PX and picked up a box of Hershey bars and substituted them for the cans of Kiwi polish in our lockers, which were inspected daily.  The next day, after inspection, he threatened to make us polish our shoes with the Hershey bars.  I later heard that he was bragging at the Officer's Club to some other TAC Officers that we were finally coming together as a unit and that he was proud that we all did the Hershey bars as a unit.  Go figure.  He wasn't quite as keen about the dumpster incident, but I digress.
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Xeno on June 24, 2005, 04:22:53 AM

You should get yourself some KIWI Parade Gloss and polish like mad...

I've heard that the Kiwi Parade Gloss polish dries out shoes/boots quick as opposed to using regular Kiwi polish, does anyone have any opinion on this?

MIKE

Quote from: CALcadet144 on September 30, 2005, 01:32:33 AM
Quote from: Xeno on June 24, 2005, 04:22:53 AM

You should get yourself some KIWI Parade Gloss and polish like mad...

I've heard that the Kiwi Parade Gloss polish dries out shoes/boots quick as opposed to using regular Kiwi polish, does anyone have any opinion on this?

I haven't had any issues with Kiwi Parade Gloss on two pairs of jump boots and a pair of low-quarters, and I've used it both with and without silicon.  One light coat applied with an old t-shirt... Let it dry and buff it with the t-shirt... You can add a second coat as needed following the same steps... In my experience, you don't want to build up a base layer with this type of polish... And my boots don't last long enough or get so many coats of polish built up to require stripping.

Haven't tried using any polish on my new ICBs yet since it says not to apply any polish to them so they breathe properly (Goretex) in the care instrctions... They have cleaned up nicely with just a damp cloth so far (And they aren't dull like you would expect either... They've got a slight shine to them when you keep 'em clean.), but eventually I will need to apply some polish to them after they wear a bit more.
Mike Johnston

WICAPMOM

Quote from: capchiro on September 29, 2005, 08:58:45 PM
Julie, It's not much of a story, but our TAC officer had been chewing our tails claiming that our shoes looked like they had been polished with Chocolate bars.  That night we sent a runner to the PX and picked up a box of Hershey bars and substituted them for the cans of Kiwi polish in our lockers, which were inspected daily.  The next day, after inspection, he threatened to make us polish our shoes with the Hershey bars.  I later heard that he was bragging at the Officer's Club to some other TAC Officers that we were finally coming together as a unit and that he was proud that we all did the Hershey bars as a unit.  Go figure.  He wasn't quite as keen about the dumpster incident, but I digress.

That is a good memory! ;D
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

capchiro

Julie, Where are you located?  I was a cadet at Truax Air Force Base and attended Sun Praired High School.  My wife is from Neenah...
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Matt

Quote from: capchiro on September 30, 2005, 12:08:28 PM
Julie, Where are you located?  I was a cadet at Truax Air Force Base and attended Sun Praired High School.  My wife is from Neenah...

you were a cadet with Klitzman???  Cool...

Quote from: MIKE on September 30, 2005, 03:06:37 AM
[...]Haven't tried using any polish on my new ICBs yet since it says not to apply any polish to them so they breathe properly (Goretex) in the care instrctions... They have cleaned up nicely with just a damp cloth so far (And they aren't dull like you would expect either... They've got a slight shine to them when you keep 'em clean.), but eventually I will need to apply some polish to them after they wear a bit more.

I have a theory behind the GoreTex:
I have a pair of Matterhorns.  Goretex claims that it is unaffected by the polish, which it most likely is...  What essentially happens (this is my theory) is that because the GoreTex wicks the moisture out it goes into the leather from the inside.  If you have polish on the boot the polish also acts as a moisture bearier (especially with silicone), so what would happen, in theory, is that over time is that the leather would essentially rot from the inside out provided that you continue to put polish on.

All I use on my boots is actually leather conditioner I picked up from scout camp a couple years ago, it cleans the leather, but washes off allows it to breathe and puts a small shine into them.

Matt
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

md132

One thing that I recommend NOT using is the liquid polish that is out.  I find that if it is used, once it dries it will crack the boots and shoes.  One of my soldiers in the MDDF tried it once and I saw what happend to it during an inspection. 

1st Lt Ed Salas, CAP/SGT, MDDF
MD Wing
AAFES Associate "Serving the Best Customers in the world"

Major_Chuck

Please don't do this...

When I was on active duty an Airman in my section kept a pair of 'inspection boots' in his room at his bed.  Shine?  Boy did they shine.  Krylon gloss black to be exact. 

First Sergeant and Commander would inspect the dorm and this guys boots always shined at the foot of his bed.  Until...

One day we had an inspection, full dormatory inspection where we had to stand outside our rooms at parade rest and get the once over by the First Sergeant and Commander.  Well, someones boots were not shined and he had to resort to his 'inspection boots'.

We were all standing outside our rooms at parade rest.  The Squadron Commander came into the hallway, we were called to attention.  Across from me I could see this young Airman trying to glance down at his feet without moving his head.  When he snapped his heels together the paint cracked.  Layers and layers of black gloss spray paint fell off his boots.

Priceless...

Nothing beats Kiwi shoe polish and elbow grease.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pace

Quote from: Major_Chuck on October 01, 2005, 02:06:23 PM
Nothing beats Kiwi shoe polish and elbow grease.
Leather Luster
Lt Col, CAP

WICAPMOM

I was a cadet in Milwaukee from 1986 until 1991 and lived in Shorewood.  I am currently a member of 12th senior support which meets in Waukesha county, which is also where I live.  I have family that live in both areas that you and your wife live.  As a cadet my last name was Johnson.  My brother, Tim, was also a cadet.  Until he left for the Army life in 1989.  (he just got out this year)
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

Xeno

Quote from: md132 on October 01, 2005, 10:47:34 AM
One thing that I recommend NOT using is the liquid polish that is out.  I find that if it is used, once it dries it will crack the boots and shoes.  One of my soldiers in the MDDF tried it once and I saw what happend to it during an inspection. 

1st Lt Ed Salas, CAP/SGT, MDDF
MD Wing
AAFES Associate "Serving the Best Customers in the world"

I agree, I used Liquid polish on a pair of low quarters once thinking it would be quick and easy. I wound up having to redo them about 15 minutes later. Needless to say, I threw that crap away.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

arajca

Quote from: WICAPMOM on October 06, 2005, 02:07:07 PM

I was a cadet in Milwaukee from 1986 until 1991 and lived in Shorewood.  I am currently a member of 12th senior support which meets in Waukesha county, which is also where I live.  I have family that live in both areas that you and your wife live.  As a cadet my last name was Johnson.  My brother, Tim, was also a cadet.  Until he left for the Army life in 1989.  (he just got out this year)
Which Milwaukee unit? I was in a squadron that met at the CAP hanger at an airport on the north end of Milwaukee around that time - although I can't remember the name :-\

Matt

Quote from: arajca on October 08, 2005, 03:17:57 AM

Which Milwaukee unit? I was in a squadron that met at the CAP hanger at an airport on the north end of Milwaukee around that time - although I can't remember the name :-\

Ben Mueller?
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

WICAPMOM

I was in Mitchell Composite Squadron 9, that at the time met at the Richards Street Armory.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

Pylon

Which Milwaukee unit?

Milwaukee's Best.   ;) ;D

(sorry, i couldn't resist.)

(oh, and by best, I mean beast  :P )

ladyreferee

Hello C/2d Lt Kristin Ruesch,

Nice to see you at CAC last Sat!  I didn't get to ask you though about Orange Glo.  Is that a furniture polish?
  Capt Cheryl Carroll

SarDragon

FYI, furniture polish is NOT good for leather; it's good for wood! It is of limited usefulness on Corfam ("plastic", non-leather) shoes if carefully used. Shoe polish is where it's at - Kiwi, Lincoln, Esquire (not a fave of mine), and others. They are all wax based and require a bit of work to get a good shine. There are no good, long-term, quick shines.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Yoda

Shining takes a great deal of time.  There are a variety of different methods out there that you can use.  The bottom line is that you get the shine from having the smoothest possible surface with so the light is more focused when it reflects.  If you put in the effort, you will get outstanding shines that require a minimal amount of maintenance for a fair length of time.

Don't try to cheat.  It's just not worth it.  Believe me, if all it took was car wax, furniture polish, or other tricks, that's what the shoe care guide would suggest and that's what the military would use.  You want the best looking boots or shoes, put the time in for them.

ladyreferee

I was asking about Orange-Glo with the plastic shoes.  What about a silicon spray on the plastic shoes?  I can get a spray specifically for black referee hockey helmets, which are plastic.  I hate to throw those 50 dollar shoes away.

MIKE

Quote from: ladyreferee on October 17, 2005, 04:11:44 PM
I was asking about Orange-Glo with the plastic shoes.  What about a silicon spray on the plastic shoes?  I can get a spray specifically for black referee hockey helmets, which are plastic.  I hate to throw those 50 dollar shoes away.

This is the only stuff I know of specifically for the plastic shoes... But it only works on light scuffs.  If you chewed up the shoes pretty bad it isn't gonna do much good.

Mike Johnston

SarDragon

I used to put a light coat of Pledge on my Corfams. Spray onto a cloth and wipe it on. Don't spray directly onto the shoe; you use too much that way.

After consulting product literature related to Orange-Glo, I would not recommend using it on "plastic" shoes, since the solvents might leach out the plasticizer and cause them to get dry and brittle. That's another reason for not spraying Pledge directly on the shoe.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ladyreferee

Well well well!  I purchased some hockey helmet silicon polish made for plastic helmets.  It actually works pretty darn well!  Here is the link http://www.hockeyreferee.com/product_detail.aspx?base_item=OWHelmetShine
Although it doesn't take all of the scratches out that my son made, it covered most of them! 

SarDragon

Hopefully he will outgrow the shoes before they become too damaged to wear. Silicone products work only so long as a cover-up, then the buildup becomes noticeable, and removal entails the use of products even more harmful to the shoe material. The best way to avoid all this is buy leather shoes and take care of them!  [Isn't it tough being a parent?]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

airforcecolors

Quote from: ladyreferee on October 13, 2005, 11:44:08 PM
Hello C/2d Lt Kristin Ruesch,

Nice to see you at CAC last Sat!  I didn't get to ask you though about Orange Glo.  Is that a furniture polish?
  Capt Cheryl Carroll

Yes it is furniture polish. I got the idea for the AF Honor Guardsman who use pledge, but I think Orango glo works much better. The only reason they work well is because coraframes arent leather. Obvioulsy it will do nothing for leather shoes.

SarDragon

[slightly off topic] It's C o r f a m with a big C because it's a trademark, though the trademark was abandoned by Du Pont when they quit making the stuff.

More info here. This is not to be confused with patent leather.
[/slightly off topic]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

airforcecolors

Quote from: SarDragon on October 28, 2005, 07:31:27 PM
[slightly off topic] It's C o r f a m with a big C because it's a trademark, though the trademark was abandoned by Dupont when they quit making the stuff.

More info here. This is not to be confused with patent leather.
[/slightly off topic]

Thank you. I can honestly say I have never seen Corafam spelled out. Learn something new everythin

airforcecolors

ok my last post meant to say

**Learn something new everyday

shorning

Quote from: airforcecolors on October 28, 2005, 08:23:36 PM
Thank you. I can honestly say I have never seen Corafam spelled out. Learn something new everythin

Quote from: airforcecolors on October 28, 2005, 08:24:29 PM

And you still can...  it's "Corfram". ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: shorning on October 29, 2005, 12:33:52 AM

Wrongo, Stevie Boy! See my post above - C o r f a m. Big C, one r. You won't find it on the Du Pont web site, but there are many other good references with the correct spelling, including the USPTO site here and here. It gets a big C because it's a trademark, like Xerox, Velcro, and Timex. Arguably, since the trademark has expired, a little c might be OK, but I can't consult my English expert right now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on October 29, 2005, 08:11:17 AM
Quote from: shorning on October 29, 2005, 12:33:52 AM

Wrongo, Stevie Boy! See my post above - C o r f a m. Big C, one r. You won't find it on the Du Pont web site, but there are many other good references with the correct spelling, including the USPTO site here and here. It gets a big C because it's a trademark, like Xerox, Velcro, and Timex. Arguably, since the trademark has expired, a little c might be OK, but I can't consult my English expert right now.

Dang it!  That's what I typed! >:(

Although it doesn't seem like anyone on the 'net can agree.

WICAPMOM

I call them "high gloss military oxfords" ;D

spelt = Corfram ::)

when most people speak the word it sounds like = CORE-A-FRAM  8)

Some words are just plain strange!  :P

Feel the WIND blowing while you WIND up the kite's sting.  :-*

Have to love the art of language!  :-X
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

airforcecolors

How about a new subject... :)

footballrun21

The best thing to do, regarding dress shoes, is to buy all leather and keep them polished.  Use plain old Kiwi to get an OK shine and if you want the patent leather look, use Leather Luster.  I wouldn't recommend it on boots, though.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing