Main Menu

Warrant Officer

Started by themainmane, March 31, 2016, 06:45:29 PM

themainmane

So I'm sitting here wondering, what if a retired/current WO joined CAP? Say a CW3 joins, and decides that he wants to retain his officer grade, and throws some Navy blue insignia on his BDUs, and calls himself a CAP CWO. Current commissioned officers, up to LTC, are allowed to do this. Is there a specific regulation that bars CWOs from retaining their grade when they enter CAP?
The master of all that isn't.

NIN

Quote from: themainmane on March 31, 2016, 06:45:29 PM
So I'm sitting here wondering, what if a retired/current WO joined CAP? Say a CW3 joins, and decides that he wants to retain his officer grade, and throws some Navy blue insignia on his BDUs, and calls himself a CAP CWO. Current commissioned officers, up to LTC, are allowed to do this. Is there a specific regulation that bars CWOs from retaining their grade when they enter CAP?
'

Yes

There is no CWO insignia on CAP or Air Force uniforms.

Current or retired commissioned officers don't just "throw insignia on."  There is a specific process they have to undertake to wear their earned grade in Civil Air Patrol. Its in CAPR 35-5

CAPR 35-5 also shows the equivalent grades for Warrant Officers who become senior members. A CW3 would be a captain.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Angus

The fact that CAP doesn't use WO's is a big one.  Also as far as putting their insignia on the CAP uniform it would be out of uniform the Navy Blue or dark blue background is not currently authorized.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

themainmane

NIN

Quote from: AngusW on March 31, 2016, 06:50:12 PM
The fact that CAP doesn't use WO's is a big one.  Also as far as putting their insignia on the CAP uniform it would be out of uniform the Navy Blue or dark blue background is not currently authorized.

It would be no different if a Marine Master Gunnery Sergeant had chevrons embroidered on dark blue and then wanted to wear them.

"Sorry, no. Not a CAP grade."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

themainmane

I kind of figured this wouldn't be possible. I was just wondering if there was a regulation that specifically barred it, which I know now that there is.

Eclipse

Quote from: themainmane on March 31, 2016, 06:45:29 PM
So I'm sitting here wondering, what if a retired/current WO joined CAP? Say a CW3 joins, and decides that he wants to retain his officer grade

Warrant officers may qualify for an equivalency in CAP grade.
CAPR 35-5, Page 12
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R035_005_489E25C089E93.pdf

"3-4. Regular and Reserve Officers of the Armed Forces. Regular, Reserve and National
Guard Officers of the Armed Forces or Coast Guard of the United States, active, retired or
resigned, may be advanced to a CAP grade equivalent to their grade in the Armed Forces (but
not to exceed lieutenant colonel), in recognition of their military knowledge and experience.
Such promotions are neither automatic nor mandatory, but are at the discretion of the promoting
authority outlined in paragraph 1-5. Additionally, individuals who obtained the grade of warrant
officer may be promoted to the CAP grade shown in figure 3 below.
The unit commander will
initiate initial promotion to officer grade based on prior military service only where proper
documentation for that grade exists (a copy of DD Form 214, military identification card or
promotion order showing the grade requested is considered sufficient)."

CWO 1 or 2 First Lieutenant
CWO 3 Captain
CWO 4 or 5 Major

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Quote from: NIN on March 31, 2016, 06:51:49 PM

It would be no different if a Marine Master Gunnery Sergeant had chevrons embroidered on dark blue and then wanted to wear them.

MGySgt is an E-9. They would just follow whatever the regulation is for CAP NCO rank.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

kwe1009

Quote from: stillamarine on April 01, 2016, 02:12:16 PM

MGySgt is an E-9. They would just follow whatever the regulation is for CAP NCO rank.

What NIN was saying is that he couldn't wear Marine rank on his CAP uniform.  He would have to wear the CAP stripes and be address as "Chief" and not by his Marine rank.  I have seen a couple of people from other services that wanted to be called the rank name of their previous service.  I tried to tell them that was not that way it should be and received mixed results.  Some agreed and some were offended.

stillamarine

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 01, 2016, 02:41:00 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on April 01, 2016, 02:12:16 PM

What NIN was saying is that he couldn't wear Marine rank on his CAP uniform.  He would have to wear the CAP stripes and be address as "Chief" and not by his Marine rank.  I have seen a couple of people from other services that wanted to be called the rank name of their previous service.  I tried to tell them that was not that way it should be and received mixed results.  Some agreed and some were offended.

Yeah I can see that. Sometimes it's a hard habit to break. My squadron CC is a retired NAVSPECWAR CPO. Around other squadron members I'm good at calling him captain. When we are talking with just the two of us around I slip up and call him Chief. Although he's never asked anyone to call him chief.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

NIN

We had a Command Master Chief in the ACA (when it was a three-brigade organization) and I would constantly refer to him as "Master Command Sergeant- crap.."

He thought it was funny the first time. About the 4th or 5th he was getting a little testy.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP