Main Menu

Wear of 4 badges

Started by jdh, September 03, 2015, 04:13:03 AM

jdh

Putting the Service Coat together and you have the following badges how would you place them on the uniform, and which would you leave off? (asking since I was asked this question and im not 100% sure) CAP Aircrew Wings, Military Aircrew Wings, Master Ground Team Badge, Basic Medic Badge, Operations Tech Badge. I know in the Army we were told to wear everything we earned (if it fit within regs) which could be four badges above the ribbons and up to 3 badges/qual badges on the pocket flap below plus any pocket devices you may have earned.

The Infamous Meerkat

My understanding is that it all has to fit under the top of the collar notch, so that might not leave you enough room for 'The Tower of Power'...

We can only do four badges total, so this would preclude you from wearing occupational badges.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

PHall

Decide which wings you want to wear. You can always alternate which ones you wear to keep them guessing.
Same thing with the speciality badges, just wear one, but you can always rotate those too.

In the Army, it seems to the the fashion to wear as much stuff as possible. The Air Force and CAP seem to go the other way and wear the minimum.
And you do have to keep it all below that notch on the lapel.

jdh

Quote from: PHall on September 03, 2015, 05:08:14 AM
Decide which wings you want to wear. You can always alternate which ones you wear to keep them guessing.
Same thing with the speciality badges, just wear one, but you can always rotate those too.

In the Army, it seems to the the fashion to wear as much stuff as possible. The Air Force and CAP seem to go the other way and wear the minimum.

Doesn't 39-1 say that CAP aviation badges MUST be worn. If they are to wear two badges above the ribbons and the specialty track badge below the pocket or name tag would the other badge go in the same spot as the specialty badge but on the other side? If so I think that placement would look odd.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: jdh on September 03, 2015, 05:32:00 AM

Doesn't 39-1 say that CAP aviation badges MUST be worn. If they are to wear two badges above the ribbons and the specialty track badge below the pocket or name tag would the other badge go in the same spot as the specialty badge but on the other side? If so I think that placement would look odd.

That is correct. CAP aviation badges MUST be worn, and no more than one on the uniform. A military aviation badge may be worn in addition to the CAP aviation badge.

CAPM 39-1
4.1.1.3.4.1. Aviation (CAP, USAF or other service Aeronautical, Space,
Cyberspace) and Occupational Badges (CAP and USAF). No more than a combined two aviation and
occupational badges will be worn on the wearer's left. Badges will be bullion, or shiny, metallic and
must match in material. Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the
highest position. When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one will be worn. If a
military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn below any CAP
aviation badges.
If chaplain badge is worn, it is worn in the highest position. Parachutist wings are
optional; however, when worn will be placed above an occupational badge or below a chaplain,
aeronautical, space or cyberspace badge. Occupational badges (excluding chaplain) are optional. All
occupational badges worn will be the same size: miniature, mid-sized or regular and type (bullion or
metal). Aviation badges may be a different size than any occupational badge; however, multiple aviation
badges will be the same size and type (bullion or metal). The first badge will be worn on the wearer's left
side centered ½ inch above the highest row of medals. If no medals are authorized the first badge will be
centered between the lapel and arm seam and midway between the top shoulder seam and top button of
the coat. The second badge will be centered ½ inch above the first badge.

LSThiker

Quote from: jdh on September 03, 2015, 04:13:03 AM
Putting the Service Coat together and you have the following badges how would you place them on the uniform, and which would you leave off? (asking since I was asked this question and im not 100% sure) CAP Aircrew Wings, Military Aircrew Wings, Master Ground Team Badge, Basic Medic Badge, Operations Tech Badge. I know in the Army we were told to wear everything we earned (if it fit within regs) which could be four badges above the ribbons and up to 3 badges/qual badges on the pocket flap below plus any pocket devices you may have earned.

Wear:
CAP Aviation Badge--Mandatory

Optional (all others):
This allows one additional badge under the Aviation Badge (either Military Aircrew, GTM, or EMT badge)
The Operations badge would go into position 1, which is 1.5" below the pocket flap on the left assuming you are male.  If female, then Ops badge would go 0.5" above name plate.

Also, while it seems like the Army wears everything, the rules for the dress uniform are far more complicated.  You are allowed a maximum number of badges per category.  For example, the marksmanship and the Parachutist badge are in different categories as with tabs. 

xray328

All aviation badges? This doesn't include solo/pre-solo does it?

RogueLeader

Quote from: xray328 on September 03, 2015, 04:47:32 PM
No, not ALL, If you have earned one, it is mandatory, if you have more than one earned, you get to chose which one you wear- but you must still wear one.

Yes Solo/pre-solo wings are still aviation badges.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Storm Chaser

Yes, it does.

Гугл переводчик

I believe solo wings are, while pre-solo wings are not
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

xray328

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 03, 2015, 04:57:12 PM

Yes, it does.

Good to know, I always thought seniors wearing solo badges was sort of looked down upon? I earned them as a cadet for instance, I thought I read somewhere wearing them made you look sorta silly (wanna be)... Not my opinion btw.

LSThiker

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on September 03, 2015, 04:57:38 PM

I believe solo wings are, while pre-solo wings are not

No. Pre-solo wings are not an aeronautical rating.  However, according to Attachment 7 they are an Aviation Badge.  Thus, they would be required as well.  Although, they are the cadet pre-solo wings. I guess I do not know the answer to this question, are the pre-solo wings, earned as a cadet under the guidelines of CAPR 35-6, allowed for Senior Members?

Answer is here:
QuoteOnce a rating, award, badge, or patch is earned in accordance with this regulation, the member may continue to wear it even if they no longer hold the associated qualifications unless directed by the wing, region, or national commander to remove it through another formal command action.

Quote from: xray328 on September 03, 2015, 05:03:56 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 03, 2015, 04:57:12 PM

Yes, it does.

Good to know, I always thought seniors wearing solo badges was sort of looked down upon? I earned them as a cadet for instance, I thought I read somewhere wearing them made you look sorta silly (wanna be)... Not my opinion btw.

Depends on the senior.  A young senior member, say 20 years old, probably would not be odd.  However, an 80 year old man would be a different, which I have seen.  Nevertheless, he is allowed to wear it regardless of opinion.

xray328

Allowed or required? (The 80 year old senior)  I was leaning towards not wearing them just because I didn't wanna look like a wanna be pilot, but if they're required they're required. Sounds like that's the case.

LSThiker

Quote from: xray328 on September 03, 2015, 05:39:14 PM
Allowed or required? (The 80 year old senior)  I was leaning towards not wearing them just because I didn't wanna look like a wanna be pilot, but if they're required they're required. Sounds like that's the case.

Technically, yes.  Although, to be honest, my enforcement of that in this situation would be rather minimal.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: LSThiker on September 03, 2015, 05:50:16 PM
Quote from: xray328 on September 03, 2015, 05:39:14 PM

Technically, yes.  Although, to be honest, my enforcement of that in this situation would be rather minimal.

CAPF 12
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that:

I understand membership in the Civil Air Patrol is a privilege, not a right, and that membership is on a year-to-year basis
subject to recurring renewal by CAP. I further understand failure to meet membership eligibility criteria will result in automatic
termination at any time.

I voluntarily subscribe to the objectives and purposes of the Civil Air Patrol and agree to be guided by CAP Core Values,
Ethics Policies, Constitution & Bylaws, Regulations and all applicable Federal, State, and Local Laws.

I understand only the Civil Air Patrol corporate officers are authorized to obligate funds, equipment, or services.

I understand the Civil Air Patrol is not liable for loss or damage to my personal property when operated for or by the Civil Air
Patrol. I further understand that safety is critical for the protection of all members and protection of CAP resources. I will at all
times follow safe practices and take an active role in safety for myself and others.

I agree to abide by the decisions of those in authority of the Civil Air Patrol.

I certify that all information on this application is presently correct and any false statement may be cause to deny membership. I
understand I am obligated to notify the Civil Air Patrol if there are any changes pertaining to the information on the front of this
form and further understand that failure to report such changes may be grounds for membership termination.

I fully understand that this Oath of Membership is an integral part of this application for senior membership in the Civil Air
Patrol and that my signature on the form constitutes evidence of that understanding and agreement to comply with all contents
of this Oath of Membership.

CAPM 39-1
Quote1.1.2.1. COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. This publication
is the sole source for wear instructions and authorized items for various uniform combinations as
prescribed within. Variation from this publication is not authorized. Items not listed in this publication
are not authorized for wear with uniforms. Local commanders do not have the authority to waive
grooming and appearance standards.

So you aren't going to enforce CAPM 39-1, and therefore, not affirm the oath you took to obey and enforce the regulations of Civil Air Patrol?

Just playing Devil's advocate

LSThiker

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2015, 02:39:04 PM
So you aren't going to enforce CAPM 39-1, and therefore, not affirm the oath you took to obey and enforce the regulations of Civil Air Patrol?

No, I did not say I am not going to enforce CAPM 39-1.  That is a straw man argument.  What I said is that in this particular situation, an 80-year old man that earned his solo 65 years ago, I will minimally enforce it.  Meaning, I am not going to invest a lot of time and effort into it.  I would tell him and if he shows up at the meeting without it, I am going to drive on to bigger and more important issues.

This is called time management on far more important things that have real effects on our missions.  There is only so much time in a day to deal with rather insignificant stuff.

Before you counter with the common argument of "well if he does not dot his "i" here, what makes you think he will cross his "t" on something else".  That is a slippery slope and a rather horrible one to apply in this situation.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: LSThiker on September 04, 2015, 03:09:15 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2015, 02:39:04 PM

No, I did not say I am not going to enforce CAPM 39-1.  That is a straw man argument.  What I said is that in this particular situation, an 80-year old man that earned his solo 65 years ago, I will minimally enforce it.  Meaning, I am not going to invest a lot of time and effort into it.  I would tell him and if he shows up at the meeting without it, I am going to drive on to bigger and more important issues.

This is called time management on far more important things that have real effects on our missions.  There is only so much time in a day to deal with rather insignificant stuff.

Before you counter with the common argument of "well if he does not dot his "i" here, what makes you think he will cross his "t" on something else".  That is a slippery slope and a rather horrible one to apply in this situation.

Chillax. As I said, it was just playing Devil's advocate, not so much a counter argument.

It really isn't a slippery slope at all. "Hey, make sure you wear your aviation badge." Said and done. Age has nothing to do with the wear of the uniform. If you don't want to make it a big deal, then brush it off. I just don't understand the correlation between saying it's one thing if a 20-year-old was wearing them versus an 80-year-old. Why's there a difference?

LSThiker

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2015, 03:16:47 PM
I just don't understand the correlation between saying it's one thing if a 20-year-old was wearing them versus an 80-year-old. Why's there a difference?

That refers to people's opinion of senior members wearing solo wings, not the enforcement.  Enforcement is not necessarily based on age, but people's opinions are. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: LSThiker on September 04, 2015, 03:30:15 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2015, 03:16:47 PM
I just don't understand the correlation between saying it's one thing if a 20-year-old was wearing them versus an 80-year-old. Why's there a difference?

That refers to people's opinion of senior members wearing solo wings, not the enforcement.  Enforcement is not necessarily based on age, but people's opinions are.

Fair enough.

Really, at the end of the day, if you don't wear your wings, most people who come across you in service dress would never even know you have them to begin with. And if you do wear them, most people probably won't recognize the difference or really even care.

If someone says "Those are my pre-solos/solos," just roll your eyes and let it go. Hey, if it makes them happy, more to them. I at least appreciate them learning more and trying to further themselves in CAP. I guess the badges are part of showing that effort, even if they are sometimes silly. I mean, we have a membership ribbon for basically showing up.

AlphaSigOU

The Big Green Machine has always been bling-happy; hardly a place on the service dress uniform is not occupied by a badge or patch! Air Force has been the more conservative when it comes to blingage.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LSThiker

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 04, 2015, 07:09:49 PM
The Big Green Machine has always been bling-happy; hardly a place on the service dress uniform is not occupied by a badge or patch! Air Force has been the more conservative when it comes to blingage.

Except for patches on the BDUs :)

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on September 04, 2015, 07:20:17 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 04, 2015, 07:09:49 PM

Except for patches on the BDUs :)

Which was corrected when they went to the ABU's.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on September 05, 2015, 12:49:00 AM
Which,  personally, I'd love to see corrected again when it is our turn

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JC004

Quote from: NIN on September 05, 2015, 09:24:45 AM

Quote from: PHall on September 05, 2015, 12:49:00 AM
Which,  personally, I'd love to see corrected again when it is our turn