wear of CAP achievement award

Started by JerseyDevil, December 04, 2014, 02:46:47 AM

JerseyDevil

I was awarded a framed and signed Certificate of achievement a while ago by my Squadron Commander for helping out a kid at my basic, now looking into regs i noticed the CAP achievement award ribbon. Does my Certificate of achievement enable me to wear the CAP achievement award ribbon? Perhaps my Commander forgot to express this to me. Thank you. -Jersey Cadet

Eclipse

Which certificate #?

The Certificate of Achievement is not the same as the Achievement award.
Only the latter which is 11x17 has a ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The Certificate of Achievement and the CAP Achievement Medal are NOT the same thing.
The only thing you get with a Certificate of Achievement is the knowledge that you did a good job and someone noticed.

Eclipse

So there isn't actually a CAP "Certificate of Achievement".

There's:

C18 Achievement Award (Region/Wing/Group)

C35 Certificate of Appreciation (Region/Wing/Group/Unit)

C44 Certificate of Accomplishment

The certificate number should be in the lower left hand corner.
If it's a C18, then there should also be a CAPF 120 that went with it, which shows the
approvals and the narrative of whatever justified the award.  A C18 would also include a decoration.

A C35, C44, or anything home-grown would not.  The fact that it was presented by a unit CC, and
not the Group CC is an indication (though not definitive) that this is not a C18.

I wish NHQ would publish facsimiles of the certificates somewhere for reference. This isn't the first
time a question like this has come up here, or elsewhere - just stick a huge watermark on them
if there is a concern about forgery.

This is what the C18 looks like:

"That Others May Zoom"

flyboy53

Quote from: JerseyDevil on December 04, 2014, 02:46:47 AM
I was awarded a framed and signed Certificate of achievement a while ago by my Squadron Commander for helping out a kid at my basic, now looking into regs i noticed the CAP achievement award ribbon. Does my Certificate of achievement enable me to wear the CAP achievement award ribbon? Perhaps my Commander forgot to express this to me. Thank you. -Jersey Cadet

The certificate you received is just a pat on the back sort of thing. It's a local award and doesn't translate to a CAP decoration awarded on the basis of a CAP Form 120 nomination.

Certificates of Achievement or Recognition are used when no other form of recognition is warranted. During my career, I have received them at squadron, group, wing, encampment and even region level.

Congratulations on the recognition. Keep up the good work but "file" it away because it should be part of the justification for an actual Achievement or Commander's Commendation Award like the ones above.