Wear Blues on Anniversary?

Started by LegoXman7, December 01, 2014, 04:08:54 AM

LegoXman7

Hello,
I just realized that tomorrow is Civil Air Patrols Anniversary, so I didn't have a chance to ask my Commander in person, I already sent an email asking, but in case I don't get a response in time, I was wondering if tomorrow would be a good time to wear my Blues as a recruiting opportunity at School? I wore them another time(completely pre authorized, of course), and a lot of people asked about it.
Thanks.
C/MSgt JAY NULPH, Jr, CAP
Fl-116 Cadet First Sergeant

lordmonar

If you asked permission.....you are obligated to wait for a response.   If you don't get one by the morning....you can assume the answer was no.

Next time plan ahead.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LegoXman7

Quote from: lordmonar on December 01, 2014, 04:18:12 AM
If you asked permission.....you are obligated to wait for a response.   If you don't get one by the morning....you can assume the answer was no.

Next time plan ahead.
As I said, I didn't realize it was tomorrow, and no one brought it up. I think that informing a dozen or more people about CAP would be quite good for us.

lordmonar

Quote from: LegoXman7 on December 01, 2014, 04:25:07 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 01, 2014, 04:18:12 AM

Next time plan ahead.
As I said, I didn't realize it was tomorrow, and no one brought it up. I think that informing a dozen or more people about CAP would be quite good for us.
I agree.   But you asked for permission.  You are now obligated to wait for a response.

If not response, the answer is no.

Next time plan ahead.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Cadet:

Listen to what the Master Sergeant says.

There will be another CAP Anniversary next year.

Make plans - and keep them - to ask your CC about wearing the uniform.

Unauthorised wear of the uniform is a no-no according to regs - and wearing it without your CC's knowledge and consent is a real good way to poison the relationship with your CC and to potentially find yourself on the end of some disciplinary action.

You are a one-stripe C/Amn.  You have not been in CAP long enough to realise that when a senior NCO, like MSgt Harris, or an officer, like myself (a Captain), gives you advice like this, it is for your benefit.

I haven't been a Commander, but I have been a Deputy Commander.  I know that if one of my cadets had done that and I heard about it after the fact...the cadet, his/her parents, and I would need to talk.

Is that worth "informing a dozen or more people about CAP?"

If your CC gets back to you with an answer, go from there.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LegoXman7

Quote from: CyBorg on December 01, 2014, 05:07:47 AM
Cadet:

Unauthorised wear of the uniform is a no-no according to regs - and wearing it without your CC's knowledge and consent is a real good way to poison the relationship with your CC and to potentially find yourself on the end of some disciplinary action.

You are a one-stripe C/Amn.  You have not been in CAP long enough to realise that when a senior NCO, like MSgt Harris, or an officer, like myself (a Captain), gives you advice like this, it is for your benefit.

I haven't been a Commander, but I have been a Deputy Commander.  I know that if one of my cadets had done that and I heard about it after the fact...the cadet, his/her parents, and I would need to talk.

Hello!
I am actually an Airman First Class, but I haven't gotten my rank epualets yet, so I haven't changed my signature. I have been in CAP for over six months, and I know th regs, and I know a Sergeant when I see one. I also know that CAP members can not be punished under military law. But, more importantly, all I was doing was asking, I never actually wore it without consent.
Thanks for your input,

LegoXman7

Quote from: Awesomenesss on December 01, 2014, 06:55:58 AM
Lock it! Lock it! Lock it!
What good will that do? Then we won't be able to come up with good celebration ideas.

Flying Pig

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.......  gotta love the Facebook generation.

LegoXman7

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 01, 2014, 02:03:44 PM
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.......  gotta love the Facebook generation.
Yes, you do, they do funny things sometimes!

Flying Pig

Its funny when you are a kid on the internet.... not so funny when you grow up and your comments get you walked to the door with your final paycheck.  I think the internet age has lured young people into believing everyone is on equal footing in the totem pole of life.  I get it though.... Im thinking my son has some lessons he's going to need to learn on his own as well despite my warnings. 

Storm Chaser

Quote from: LegoXman7 on December 01, 2014, 05:16:30 AM
Cadet:

Hello!
I am actually an Airman First Class...

Actually, you're not. You're a Cadet Airman First Class; not the same thing.

...but I haven't gotten my rank epualets yet, so I haven't changed my signature.

C/A1C grade insignias are not worn on epaulets.

I have been in CAP for over six months...

Congratulations! Most members on this board have been in CAP for years, some decades.

...and I know th regs, and I know a Sergeant when I see one.

There are over 130 CAP regulations, pamphlets, and CAP-related AFIs, not to mention applicable supplements and operating instructions. I doubt you really know the regs, as you claim.

I also know that CAP members can not be punished under military law.

Irrelevant. Cadets can be disciplined for disregarding CAP regulations, disobeying lawful orders and insubordination, to name a few. Having an attitude with a CAP Captain would certainly not earn you any brownie points either.

But, more importantly, all I was doing was asking, I never actually wore it without consent.
Thanks for your input,

And you got an answer. Now you just need to follow the advice given.

I applaud your enthusiasm for CAP, but a little humility would go a long way. Good luck!

LegoXman7

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 01, 2014, 03:30:09 PM
Cadet:

Hello!
I am actually an Airman First Class...

Actually, you're not. You're a Cadet Airman First Class; not the same thing.

...but I haven't gotten my rank epualets yet, so I haven't changed my signature.

C/A1C grade insignias are not worn on epaulets.

I have been in CAP for over six months...

Congratulations! Most members on this board have been in CAP for years, some decades.

...and I know th regs, and I know a Sergeant when I see one.

There are over 130 CAP regulations, pamphlets, and CAP-related AFIs, not to mention applicable supplements and operating instructions. I doubt you really know the regs, as you claim.

I also know that CAP members can not be punished under military law.

Irrelevant. Cadets can be disciplined for disregarding CAP regulations, disobeying lawful orders and insubordination, to name a few. Having an attitude with a CAP Captain would certainly not earn you any brownie points either.

But, more importantly, all I was doing was asking, I never actually wore it without consent.
Thanks for your input,

And you got an answer. Now you just need to follow the advice given.

I applaud your enthusiasm for CAP, but a little humility would go a long way. Good luck!
I was talking about CAP, so I figured everyone would understand I meant Cadet.
Collar insignias is what I meant, not epualets.
It doesn't matter if someone has been here for 73 years, if theyre terrible at their job, or they're rude, then a C/AB is better than a C/Col.
I know the relevant regulations, not every single one, for example, I don't know the ones that have to do with national events.
Did I have an attitude with a Captain? If I did, it wasn't a bad one. As I said, I have done nothing wrong, I am merely trying to find it info, as you said, I'm not as seasoned as most other members.

I would be happy to hear your ideas on bringing attention to CAP on this annepiversary,
Thanks,

PHall

Cadet, take a look at the form YOU and your parents signed when you joined CAP. It says that you agree to follow all CAP rules and regulations.
Yeah, you're not under the UCMJ, but you are under the rules and regulations of CAP and can be terminated from CAP for failing to follow them.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: LegoXman7 on December 01, 2014, 04:08:54 AM
Hello,
I just realized that tomorrow is Civil Air Patrols Anniversary, so I didn't have a chance to ask my Commander in person, I already sent an email asking, but in case I don't get a response in time, I was wondering if tomorrow would be a good time to wear my Blues as a recruiting opportunity at School? I wore them another time(completely pre authorized, of course), and a lot of people asked about it.
Thanks.

Absent authority (see CAPM 39-1) to wear the uniform, how could it possibly be a good time to wear it?

LegoXman7

Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2014, 04:08:19 PM
Cadet, take a look at the form YOU and your parents signed when you joined CAP. It says that you agree to follow all CAP rules and regulations.
Yeah, you're not under the UCMJ, but you are under the rules and regulations of CAP and can be terminated from CAP for failing to follow them.
I am following them by asking permission, I didn't go out and wear my uniform without authority.

LegoXman7

Quote from: DoubleSecret on December 01, 2014, 04:50:36 PM
Hello,
Thanks.

Absent authority (see CAPM 39-1) to wear the uniform, how could it possibly be a good time to wear it?
It would be good because people generally ask about my uniform, so I could introduce them to the CAP, and we could possibly get more support and members.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: LegoXman7 on December 01, 2014, 05:25:30 PM
Hello,
Thanks.

It would be good because people generally ask about my uniform, so I could introduce them to the CAP, and we could possibly get more support and members.

I'll take one more shot at this.

There is no good time to wear the uniform without authority. 

Your enthusiasm is commendable, and I encourage you to keep thinking outside the box.  That can serve you well at times.  This is not one of them, however.  You've gotten some good guidance by folks who have in some cases served in CAP longer than you have been alive.  Since you sought that guidance, you might want to accept it with good grace.

lordmonar

Hello,
Thanks.

Not saying it would not be good...bad....or indifferent.   We are only saying is that you can't.  Not with out the authorization of your squadron commander.

At 22:00 PST night before is not the time to get on CAPTALK and find out if "they" think it was a good idea for you to wear your uniform to school.

Next time....plan ahead.

LegoXman7

Quote from: DoubleSecret on December 01, 2014, 05:59:59 PM
Hello,
Thanks.

I'll take one more shot at this.

There is no good time to wear the uniform without authority. 

Your enthusiasm is commendable, and I encourage you to keep thinking outside the box.  That can serve you well at times.  This is not one of them, however.  You've gotten some good guidance by folks who have in some cases served in CAP longer than you have been alive.  Since you sought that guidance, you might want to accept it with good grace.
I am, as I said many times, I'm NOt wearing it. I do not wear it without proper prior authorization, such as during my speech.

LegoXman7

Quote from: lordmonar on December 01, 2014, 06:03:17 PM
Hello,
Thanks.

Not saying it would not be good...bad....or indifferent.   We are only saying is that you can't.  Not with out the authorization of your squadron commander.

At 22:00 PST night before is not the time to get on CAPTALK and find out if "they" think it was a good idea for you to wear your uniform to school.

Next time....plan ahead.
And I'm saying that I didnt, I just asked if I should or not, obviously, you all think I shouldnt. I would've planned ahead, but as I said in my first message, I didn't realize it was already December, this school year flew by.

LSThiker

He has repeated stated that he was asking.  Never did he state that he planned on wearing the uniform without permission.  I think what he was asking is to make sure there was not an already "established custom or guidance" that allowed members to wear the uniform on 01 Dec without commander's permission.  Similar to the "First Sabbath" custom for chaplains, CDIs, etc, which does not appear in CAPM 39-1.  That only appears in CAPP 221A, IRC. 

Granted, he should have planned better, but he already admitted to that he did not plan correctly.  So I think people just need to relax a little.

LegoXman7

Quote from: LSThiker on December 01, 2014, 07:16:13 PM
He has repeated stated that he was asking.  Never did he state that he planned on wearing the uniform without permission.  I think what he was asking is to make sure there was not an already "established custom or guidance" that allowed members to wear the uniform on 01 Dec without commander's permission.  Similar to the "First Sabbath" custom for chaplains, CDIs, etc, which does not appear in CAPM 39-1.  That only appears in CAPP 221A, IRC. 

Granted, he should have planned better, but he already admitted to that he did not plan correctly.  So I think people just need to relax a little.
Yes, this is exactly what happened! Thank you for understanding what I said!

AlphaSigOU

Is the dogpile over? Then carry on...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 01, 2014, 08:40:07 PM
Is the dogpile over? Then carry on...

Yeah, I gotta go with AlphaSigOU on it this time.  Sometimes they are deserved, but don't see it here.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Sorry all.

Seemed too much like a cadet was looking to justify what he was going to do anyway.

I was reading too much into his posts....and I apologize.

AlphaSigOU

Yea... we CAPTalk regulars are guilty at times for dogpiling on a smack, beanhead, plebe, knob, rat, doolie, pledge, newbie... although some really deserve getting the internet beatdown!  >:D   ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 01, 2014, 09:42:48 PM
Yea... we CAPTalk regulars are guilty at times for dogpiling on a smack, beanhead, plebe, knob, rat, doolie, pledge, newbie... although some really deserve getting the internet beatdown!  >:D   ;D

You know, you were sentenced to exile on an island for a couple of years before. We can make it happen again!!! :o

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on December 02, 2014, 12:05:19 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 01, 2014, 09:42:48 PM

You know, you were sentenced to exile on an island for a couple of years before. We can make it happen again!!! :o

Three years an inmate of "Kwajatraz Federal Penitentiary"... :D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

"Piling on" the Cadet was not what I intended; I thought MSgt Harris advised him well and wanted to support that and add my own opinions.

However, I did note that if his CC responded to him to go from there.  I had noticed that he had several communication attempts with his CC.

But, as with MSgt Harris, I offer my own apologies where needed.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011