Main Menu

Wear of Headgear

Started by Archer, July 06, 2013, 04:37:32 AM

Luis R. Ramos

The fire eater since he cannot spout fire but the juggler can bop him with the club. Or whatever he is juggling.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Peeka

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2013, 09:34:52 PM
So which clown salutes first?  The juggler or the fire eater?
The one with less flowers on his bowtie.  ;D

Shuman 14

Quote from: lordmonar on July 07, 2013, 09:17:42 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 07, 2013, 08:06:58 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 06, 2013, 06:14:23 PM
The AFI has a nice little table.  2.8,

Outdoors.  Wear
When operating two wheel vehicles.  Wear....unless wearing safety gear.
Indoors.  Don't wear....unless Security forces or other "under arms" or public health personnel conducting inspections.
When commanders specify for safety reasons.  Don't wear.
No-hat areas where to commander specify via supplements.......OPTIONAL.
Well what about in four wheel vehicles? I have seen junior grade officers (AF) wear them in their cars, but I'm not sure. I know that while in a flight suit you should wear it (because that's what the officers here wear, since its a NATO pilot training base), but what about BDUs and blues?
Is a four wheel vehicle "out doors"?  Yes you are supposed to wear your headgear inside a car.  I have seen it evenly split and no one .......and I mean no one really cares.

If it's a convertible... and the top's down... you're outdoors.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Archer

Why, why in the heavens and Earth have we not even gotten an ICL about this? Do--do they even pay attention? What can we even do when some regulation thumper decides he doesn't want to wear his cover?

a2capt

Really?

With that reply there, I'd be hard pressed to not be convinced that there wasn't trolling intent in this whole thread...

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on July 08, 2013, 05:07:34 AM
Really?

With that reply there, I'd be hard pressed to not be convinced that there wasn't trolling intent in this whole thread...
Well......but it is true.
Cadet X decides not to wear a had...you tell him otherwise....he continues not to wear his hat....you start 2b for failing to follow regulations/manuals/orders.....but wait......turns out you can't.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

The guidance I got on hats in cars was that they are required when going through the gate, and optional otherwise, if wearing it interferes with safe operation of the vehicle.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Quote from: SarDragon on July 08, 2013, 06:18:47 AM
The guidance I got on hats in cars was that they are required when going through the gate, and optional otherwise, if wearing it interferes with safe operation of the vehicle.

I know everywhere I have been this has been a non issue.  It was always users discretion.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 08, 2013, 06:29:36 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 08, 2013, 06:18:47 AM

I know everywhere I have been this has been a non issue.  It was always users discretion.
At the base that is 15 minutes north of me, everybody wears there hats in the card and outdoors. Wasn't sure though, since all you see are people wearing flight suits (except for SF, and other mission support).

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 08, 2013, 05:35:40 AM
Cadet X decides not to wear a had...you tell him otherwise....he continues not to wear his hat....you start 2b for failing to follow regulations/manuals/orders.....but wait......turns out you can't.

The bold says you can.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2013, 01:45:49 PM

The bold says you can.
Sure, sure......but why?   :)

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 08, 2013, 02:06:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2013, 01:45:49 PM

The bold says you can.
Sure, sure......but why?   :)

Better to never ask that question...

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I agree that CAPM 39-1 has many omissions and that it usually causes issues with uniform wear. But in my opinion, while headgear wear should be addressed, it's a small issue when compared with other omissions, vagueness, contradictions, etc. in CAPM 39-1. I think most members know to wear the headgear outdoors and to remove it indoors. I've seen drill teams wearing headgear in formation while participating in competitions; I believe that's acceptable. I've seen differences of opinions when it comes to headgear in the flight line, but I believe that it comes down to safety and commander's policy. And as far as vehicles go, if you're in a car, no one really cares if you wear your hat or not. If you're riding a motorcycle or bicycle, you should be wearing a helmet (I know it's not always required by law, but it makes safety sense).

When in doubt, use Air Force uniform policies as guidelines. While they have no regulatory authority regarding CAP uniforms, they can provide valuable insight as long as there are no specific contradictions with CAPM 39-1.

As a side note, while I firmly believe in wearing the CAP uniform properly and following all applicable regulations and policies to the maximum extent possible, I think that worrying about this headgear omission seems insignificant in the big scheme of things. We need to be focusing on performing our missions, which includes training and equipping with that goal in mind.

Storm Chaser

I can find more creative ways to deal with said cadet than a 2b.

lordmonar

The really funny point is that....39-1 has been out for how long? and we have just noticed this glaring oversight.

No one is stressing because we can't find the when to wear your hat table.

And yes....I too can find creative ways to correct my cadets besides a 2b.   >:D

Slim

This topic is starting to sound like something very familiar, like.....

QuoteLt Kaffe: Corporal Barnes, please open the book to the page that says where the mess hall is?

Cpl Barnes:  That's not in there Lt Kaffe.

Kaffe:  You mean to tell me that-in all your time at Gitmo-you never had a meal?

Barnes:  No sir, three squares a day.

Kaffe:  I don't understand.  If there's nothing in the book to tell you where the mess hall is, how did you know where to go?

Barnes:  I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir

Slim

NIN

Quote from: Slim on July 09, 2013, 05:50:30 AM
This topic is starting to sound like something very familiar, like.....

QuoteLt Kaffe: Corporal Barnes, please open the book to the page that says where the mess hall is?

Cpl Barnes:  That's not in there Lt Kaffe.

Kaffe:  You mean to tell me that-in all your time at Gitmo-you never had a meal?

Barnes:  No sir, three squares a day.

Kaffe:  I don't understand.  If there's nothing in the book to tell you where the mess hall is, how did you know where to go?

Barnes:  I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir

OK, so I'm not crazy. That was kind of what I was thinking, too.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

My only real pet peeve about wearing headgear(other than people who try to overthink the rules for wearing headgear) are members who wear flight caps in such a manner that they look like matadors. ??? Ole!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Al Sayre

Are you supposed to wear the bus driver hat if you're driving the 15 pax van?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 09, 2013, 08:34:23 PM
Are you supposed to wear the bus driver hat if you're driving the 15 pax van?
Only if you have Commercial Driver's license........otherwise you wear a flight cap.  :)