Wear of CAP Blues in public as a recruitment tool.

Started by ARandomCadet, June 17, 2013, 03:32:39 AM

ARandomCadet

Is it appropriate to wear the CAP blues uniform, rather any uniform in public as a recruitment tool. Keep in mind this outside of traveling to and from meetings, meals before meetings, and anything involving a CAP activity such as working at an airshow. This is just in public, wearing it for possible recruitment.

a2capt

All the possible answers, all the possible questions, ultimately .. one thing matters most, and first.

Ask your Unit Commander.

Recruiting isn't just standing there in a uniform, or going someplace. You should have a plan.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: NINa2capt on June 17, 2013, 03:35:36 AM
All the possible answers, all the possible questions, ultimately .. one thing matters most, and first.

Ask your Unit Commander.

Recruiting isn't just standing there in a uniform, or going someplace. You should have a plan.
Correct, I was asked by two children today about it, when I was wearing a partial BDU uniform. I have been asked about CAP when in blues and outside of a event. Also when I wear a uniform outside of an event, I 99% of the time get asked about CAP, so I believe that when wearing a uniform outside of event that when people ask you about CAP, and you tell them about it, it is a recruitment tool because they then MAY become more interested and join. So mainly other peoples opinions is what I am looking for.

SarDragon

Partial BDU? That's mostly not permitted, except under specific circumstances, most of which do not involve being in public.

As for your basic Q, it's up to your unit commander. That's who you should be asking.

You asked for guidance. We provided it. Trying to justify anything on here is no more than teaching a pig to sing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SarDragon on June 17, 2013, 04:30:16 AM
Partial BDU? That's mostly not permitted, except under specific circumstances, most of which do not involve being in public.

As for your basic Q, it's up to your unit commander. That's who you should be asking.

You asked for guidance. We provided it. Trying to justify anything on here is no more than teaching a pig to sing.
I wasn't wearing the jacket, because it was over 100 degrees, and I was running to break in my new combat boots.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Added two more things to the "this makes my head hurt" list.

But to answer the OP's question.....it is your squadron commander's call on when you can wear your uniform.

My Humble Opinion is......if you are talking about just wearing it around town as you do your daily business......no.  YMMV.

As for the concept of "running to break in my new combat boots".......man your doctor is going to love you!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ARandomCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on June 17, 2013, 05:34:23 AM

But to answer the OP's question.....it is your squadron commander's call on when you can wear your uniform.

My Humble Opinion is......if you are talking about just wearing it around town as you do your daily business......no.  YMMV.

As for the concept of "running to break in my new combat boots".......man your doctor is going to love you!
I run faster in BDUs for some reason, usually I can actually run a block, this time it was three blocks. The rest of the time I walked.

SJFedor

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 17, 2013, 03:32:39 AM
Is it appropriate to wear the CAP blues uniform, rather any uniform in public as a recruitment tool. Keep in mind this outside of traveling to and from meetings, meals before meetings, and anything involving a CAP activity such as working at an airshow. This is just in public, wearing it for possible recruitment.

RTFM. F for furnished.

Personally, you should probably focus more on your own personal progression in the cadet program than going out and recruiting more people. At least get your first stripe before you start trying to take on other things.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

lordmonar

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 17, 2013, 05:45:31 AM

I run faster in BDUs for some reason, usually I can actually run a block, this time it was three blocks. The rest of the time I walked.
I don't care about you running in BDUs.....but if you are breaking in your boots....running will tear up your feet something fierce....not to mention shin splints.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ARandomCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on June 17, 2013, 01:56:25 PM

I don't care about you running in BDUs.....but if you are breaking in your boots....running will tear up your feet something fierce....not to mention shin splints.
Let me correct myself, combat boots make me run faster.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 17, 2013, 02:36:15 PM

Ahhhh, the joys of youth...

Having run in combat boots a fair amount during my mis-spent college years (jungle boots, no less), I have a hard time seeing that you are faster in them than in a decent pair of running shoes. But, they are your feet and shins, I s'pose...
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on June 17, 2013, 03:28:04 PM
Having run in combat boots a fair amount during my mis-spent college years (jungle boots, no less), I have a hard time seeing that you are faster in them than in a decent pair of running shoes. But, they are your feet and shins, I s'pose...

Indeed. If you're gonna ignore the advice of those who have been there and done that, please be prepared to suffer. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on June 17, 2013, 03:28:04 PM

Ahhhh, the joys of youth...

To me running farther is running faster, so since that is what that means to me I say running faster.

jeders

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 17, 2013, 03:54:54 PM
To me running farther is running faster, so since that is what that means to me I say running faster.

Then it means the wrong thing. Running faster means you run a set distance in less time, running farther means that you run a greater distance before you have to stop.

...usually I can actually run a block, this time it was three blocks. The rest of the time I walked.

If you can only run (assuming you don't mean sprint) 3 blocks (1/2 mile or less), then you need to get a good pair of running shoes and start training to run. If you keep up running in combat boots, you are going to damage your feet and you won't be able to run at all. Please, take our advice on this one, we really have been there.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

FlyTiger77

Two thoughts, young padawan:

1. A wise man learns from experience. A wiser man learns from the experience of others.

2. Good judgment comes from experience. Typically, experience comes from bad judgment.

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

ARandomCadet

Quote from: jeders on June 17, 2013, 04:46:56 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 17, 2013, 03:54:54 PM

Then it means the wrong thing. Running faster means you run a set distance in less time, running farther means that you run a greater distance before you have to stop.

...usually I can actually run a block, this time it was three blocks. The rest of the time I walked.

If you can only run (assuming you don't mean sprint) 3 blocks (1/2 mile or less), then you need to get a good pair of running shoes and start training to run. If you keep up running in combat boots, you are going to damage your feet and you won't be able to run at all. Please, take our advice on this one, we really have been there.
I am used to running in boots, I go hiking and running in the mountains a lot. And it's not the shoes that hurts my running, I get cross-country running shoes so they are good shoes, it is my VO2 intake and my lungs.

Danger

Work on at least wearing the blues uniform well too. I have yet to see a C/AB without massive mistakes. Teach yourself so you can explain what CAP does and progress yourself so you can be teaching those who may join, and set an example for new members for what they want to accomplish.
"Never take anything too seriously."

abdsp51

Cadet,

One running farther will not help you run faster,  running faster will help you run faster.  Also you will use more energy to pick up you feet and move your feet wearing boots than you will with a pair of running shoes. 

Two it sounds like you have a stamina and cardio issue, this can be resolved by doing more cardio for periods of time and increasing your duration.   

Three any wear of your uniform outside of what CAPM39-1 says is upto your squadron commander.  And I would focus on squaring yourself away before trying to actively recruit, in the capacity you are trying to do.

Private Investigator

They really do not but as a teenager you "think" they do because you look "cool". I doubt if you ever timed yourself over a mile with and without boots.

Enjoy your combat boots  YMMV   8)