ABU Supply Drying Up

Started by majdomke, July 11, 2019, 11:05:37 PM

majdomke

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 19, 2019, 12:38:30 PM
Ever visit California?  We have a semi trailer full of those, along with matching sets of ABU in sizes CAP cannot wear.  Want a nice matching set of size 52?
I'm in California. When can we come take some off your hands?

N6RVT

Quote from: majdomke on July 31, 2019, 08:24:53 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 19, 2019, 12:38:30 PM
Ever visit California?  We have a semi trailer full of those, along with matching sets of ABU in sizes CAP cannot wear.  Want a nice matching set of size 52?
I'm in California. When can we come take some off your hands?

Not kidding.  PM me.

SARDOC

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 14, 2019, 04:19:32 AM
Quote from: etodd on July 14, 2019, 02:39:42 AM
OK. I'm the guy who doesn't know jack about uniforms, so I'll ask the question that pops into mind. Has the AF at any time pondered the idea of just coming up with specific CAP outdoor uniform, so that we would not have to chase what they wear and have these issues? And maybe while they are at it, make it reflective orange, instead of the non-sensible camo?  Design it to be the uniform for the next 50 years, no matter what the enlisted AF members wear?

There is an alternative "Blue" BDU uniform available.

That was my thought exactly.  "Specific CAP Outdoor Uniform"  Yes, They already have.  All Seniors and Over 18 cadets who are outside of CAP height/weight Standards are already eligible to wear this uniform.

THRAWN

Quote from: SARDOC on August 04, 2019, 09:45:09 PM
OK. I'm the guy who doesn't know jack about uniforms, so I'll ask the question that pops into mind. Has the AF at any time pondered the idea of just coming up with specific CAP outdoor uniform, so that we would not have to chase what they wear and have these issues? And maybe while they are at it, make it reflective orange, instead of the non-sensible camo?  Design it to be the uniform for the next 50 years, no matter what the enlisted AF members wear?

That was my thought exactly.  "Specific CAP Outdoor Uniform"  Yes, They already have.  All Seniors and Over 18 cadets who are outside of CAP height/weight Standards are already eligible to wear this uniform.

Think the point was to drop all of the combat utilities in favor of the BBDU. Make an actual uniform out of the catalog of uniforms. Got my vote.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SARDOC on August 04, 2019, 09:45:09 PM

Maybe a better name for that? Because ALL uniforms are "outdoor uniform" at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 09:54:57 PMDepending on the base you're at. Currently AF personnel can not buy them at March ARB, Los Angeles AFB and Edwards AFB.
Subject to change if AAFES and DLATS ever get their acts together.

As of today El Segundo AFB (Los Angeles) does not seem to be aware that OCP exist.  The shelves are still full of RABU.  They even had some Army ACU on sale

PHall

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 11, 2019, 04:21:05 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 09:54:57 PMDepending on the base you're at. Currently AF personnel can not buy them at March ARB, Los Angeles AFB and Edwards AFB.

As of today El Segundo AFB (Los Angeles) does not seem to be aware that OCP exist.  The shelves are still full of RABU.  They even had some Army ACU on sale

You do realize that Los Angeles AFB is research and development base. They don't have an "operational" mission, they have a procurement mission.
Which is why they have Northrop-Grumman, Boeing, Space X, Raytheon and The Aerospace Company for neighbors.
They'll be one of the last bases to start selling the OCP's.

xyzzy

I'm responding to Mitchell 1969's comment about an outdoor CAP uniform. As another poster mentioned, dress uniforms are also worn outdoors, so perhaps "general purpose utility uniform" could describe Mitchell 1969's intent. I've dealt with uniforms of this type for volunteer fire departments and volunteer EMS. This thread is about the supply problem, so I'll limit myself to that.

Large organizations like USAF tell manufacturers what to make and they make it. Small organizations pick from what the manufacturers are offering. What's offered changes according to what's fashionable. Shades of color vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. To be thrifty and allow members to be thrifty, small organizations must specify uniforms that are flexible with respect to shades of color and pocket configuration. For additional flexibility, small brand labels and logos should be allowed.

Any outerwear should be allowed so long as it does not have offensive wording or images, or indicate affiliation with a different organization.  Just cover the outerwear with a high-visibility vest, unless its already high-visibility.

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on August 11, 2019, 05:12:31 AM

You do realize that Los Angeles AFB is research and development base. They don't have an "operational" mission, they have a procurement mission.
Which is why they have Northrop-Grumman, Boeing, Space X, Raytheon and The Aerospace Company for neighbors.

I've been going to this base on a regular basis since they were on both sides of the street - about 30 years ago.
Point was they have a full supply of all sizes of ABU, and I did not see a single person wearing OCP anywhere on the whole installation and I was there most of the day.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 11, 2019, 03:40:35 PM

I've been going to this base on a regular basis since they were on both sides of the street - about 30 years ago.
Point was they have a full supply of all sizes of ABU, and I did not see a single person wearing OCP anywhere on the whole installation and I was there most of the day.

Perhaps you found the location that all other Post Exchanges are sending their remaining surplus ABU and ACU supplies as they stock their shelves with new OCPs.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on August 11, 2019, 07:12:30 PM

Perhaps you found the location that all other Post Exchanges are sending their remaining surplus ABU and ACU supplies as they stock their shelves with new OCPs.  ;)

You assume that AAFES can be efficient, you know better then that! At least I hope you know better then that! >:D

Shuman 14

QuoteYou assume that AAFES can be efficient, you know better then that! At least I hope you know better then that! >:D

There needs to be a "facetious" emoji. Just saying.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

N6RVT

Quote from: shuman14 on August 11, 2019, 07:12:30 PM

I actually think this may be the case.  No AAFES will want to stock both and the leftovers have to go somewhere.

bd5av8r

[/quote]

Actually, no they won't. AAFES can not sell OCP's to Air Force personnel, and I have lumped CAP into the Air Force personnel category for the sake of argument, until a date to be determined.
[/quote]

Fort Riley happily sold me OCPs and I showed them an AF CAC to get them. :)
Greetings from SC!

PHall

Quote from: bd5av8r on September 07, 2019, 02:59:52 AM

Actually, no they won't. AAFES can not sell OCP's to Air Force personnel, and I have lumped CAP into the Air Force personnel category for the sake of argument, until a date to be determined.
[/quote]

Fort Riley happily sold me OCPs and I showed them an AF CAC to get them. :)
[/quote]

This depends on the base you're at. Example: you can get them at Travis AFB but you can't at Edwards AFB.
AAFES is rolling out the OCP's in stages.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret