Drone/UAV/UAS/sUAS Update?

Started by etodd, February 09, 2019, 03:42:11 AM

etodd

So I see that as of a couple months ago, Lt Col Austin Worchester is the new Senior Progam Manager, Small Unmanned Aerial Systems, at Montgomery Hdqs.

Anyone hearing anything? I've read that a few Wings have had a (Drone/UAV/UAS/sUAS) sent to them and training underway. I haven't heard anything our way yet. I haven't seen a SQTR Worksheet show up in Ops Quals yet.

I'm hoping training will available locally. Not sure if I would be able to make one of the NESA schools.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

One thing someone told me today, and I have no idea if its correct or not, but seems right (correct me if I'm wrong), is that Part 107 holders will need to show their experience, using flight logs. Something like 7 hours for a beginner level and 15 for advanced.  Doesn't seem like much until you consider how short flights are. In my business, when shooting construction progress sites, my average flight time for photos of a site can be about 8 minutes.  So thats a lot of flights to get to 15. I've been flying for several years, so I'm past that.

The point to all this:  If you are a Remote Pilot, check out https://airdata.com and sign up for a free account. You can then easily sync to your DJI, Drone Deploy, or other accounts, and have a good record of your flights online with total flight times, and much more. This will be a good record that can be shared with any CAP trainer/SET at some point to help you get qualified.

CAP9907

I wonder why a FB post was pulled about this today? 
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

etodd

No one said, but I'm guessing someone did not approve of the photo used.

Larry Mangum

Interesting, from the Lt Col, linkedin page:

"Currently serving as the Civil Air Patrol's Senior Project Manager leading, managing and administering the largest small Unmanned Aerial Systems program in the United States. This program encompasses all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico and its roughly 60,000 members. This program has over 1,000 airframes and is projected to have more than 1,000 CAP and FAA certificated sUAS pilots, managing a multimillion dollar project. These members serve in search & rescue, homeland security, disaster relief, defense support to civil authorities, aerospace education, and cadet program support."
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

etodd

^^^ Good marketing text right there. Maybe it'll all come to fruition soon  😀

Eclipse

Quote from: Larry Mangum on February 09, 2019, 02:08:09 PM

"Currently serving as the Civil Air Patrol's Senior Project Manager leading, managing and administering the largest small Unmanned Aerial Systems program in the United States. This program encompasses all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico and its roughly 60,000 members. This program has over 1,000 airframes and is projected to have more than 1,000 CAP and FAA certificated sUAS pilots, managing a multimillion dollar project. These members serve in search & rescue, homeland security, disaster relief, defense support to civil authorities, aerospace education, and cadet program support."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2019, 02:48:53 PM
Quote from: Larry Mangum on February 09, 2019, 02:08:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

But he is the man in charge. It must be true. Also, it's on the internet.

Gunsotsu

The problem will be it'll undoubtedly fall under DO and will (in many circumstances) be underutilized where it'd do the most good (DOS) since the fixed-wing pilots will thumb their noses at their sUAS brethren.

Airdata is good and all, provided your UAS is supported.

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on February 09, 2019, 10:05:05 PM

... since the fixed-wing pilots will thumb their noses at their sUAS brethren.

As a Senior Mission Pilot, and also a Part 107 holder with several years experience flying a sUAS as well, I can say that I will be embracing ALL of CAP's aircraft, manned and unmanned.  :)

CAP9907

The problem will be it'll undoubtedly fall under DO and will (in many circumstances) be underutilized where it'd do the most good (DOS) since the fixed-wing pilots will thumb their noses at their sUAS brethren.

Airdata is good and all, provided your UAS is supported.

Completely agree, hopefully it does not go this way.

It is curious that I see more posted by a random 1st Lt on FB than from region/wing DO's..
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

CAP9907

Quote from: etodd on February 09, 2019, 10:24:34 PM

... since the fixed-wing pilots will thumb their noses at their sUAS brethren.

As a Senior Mission Pilot, and also a Part 107 holder with several years experience flying a sUAS as well, I can say that I will be embracing ALL of CAP's aircraft, manned and unmanned.  :)

That is great to hear, but you seem to be the exception rather than the norm in this organization.
21 yrs of service

Gunsotsu

I've seen the proposed SQTR and there is already quite the needless financial barrier to be overcome in it's current form. I hope they address it in the final form. And etodd, given the welcome among the MPs in my wing, you are the exception.

CAP9907

Quote from: Gunsotsu on February 10, 2019, 12:19:38 AM
I've seen the proposed SQTR and there is already quite the needless financial barrier to be overcome in it's current form. I hope they address it in the final form. And etodd, given the welcome among the MPs in my wing, you are the exception.

Care to elaborate? This is the first I'm hearing of anything "official" as a SQTR - although apparently some folks are signed off as SET's already?? 
21 yrs of service

etodd

Quote from: CAP9907 on February 10, 2019, 12:22:05 AM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on February 10, 2019, 12:19:38 AM

Care to elaborate? This is the first I'm hearing of anything "official" as a SQTR - although apparently some folks are signed off as SET's already??

OK. Evidently I had the wrong idea, so will drop what I said until we know something. Better not to get folks upset, when we don't know the realities yet. :)

Gunsotsu

Part 107 isn't what I'm referring to. There's something else on the proposed SQTR that is additional cost on the part of the member, is troublesome and entirely unnecessary.

If I could go into specifics, I would. Until the final draft gets approved I'll just leave it there.

CAP9907

Not against you, Gunsotsu, but addressing CAP in general,

Rant on/

This is EXACTLY the secret-squirrel crap that Members do not like. If they are in Beta testing or have actually signed people off in these new Ops Quals (to include SET's), it should be available for the rank and file Members to see the SQTR at least. Transparency is something CAP is not good at, things like this lead to a 'good ol' boys' club perception by the average Member.

Rant off/
21 yrs of service

etodd

First in line will be existing Part 107 holders with verifiable flight hours. Let your Wing DO and whoever else, know your qualifications and interests.

If that is you, and you just happen to be flying a DJI P4P (or similar) using DJO GO4 ... you will be a step ahead. (The official software will be slightly modified and will be run on a supplied Android Tablet.)

Practice, practice, practice flying your P4P (or similar) in ATTI mode. The ability to safely fly the drone without a GPS signal will be part of the testing. Actual Missions will of course be flown using GPS, but they want to know if you lose signal and it drops to ATTI mode, that you can safely fly and not crash.

If you've never flown much in ATTI mode, it can take a bit of practice. Start now so you'll be ready.

Make sure you can get your past flight logs. (See post #2 in this thread above). Or at least enough to show recent experience. If you need help with finding them, PM me. Glad to help.

Gunsotsu

Quote from: etodd on February 10, 2019, 06:23:05 PM(The official software will be slightly modified and will be run on a supplied Android Tablet.)

Is that going to be P4P specific? The P3 I've seen was running an iPad. Androids don't play as well with DJI's products.

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on February 11, 2019, 03:31:48 AM
Quote from: etodd on February 10, 2019, 06:23:05 PM(The official software will be slightly modified and will be run on a supplied Android Tablet.)

Is that going to be P4P specific? The P3 I've seen was running an iPad. Androids don't play as well with DJI's products.

The software has been slightly modified to work well with the Android. If you are already familiar with DJI Go4 you'll be right at home.

Apple products not allowed due to DOD specs.