FOUO, For Official Use Only

Started by whatevah, March 28, 2005, 10:47:13 PM

whatevah

Please remember that certain information available to members is FOUO, and is not to be disclosed to those who don't "need to know". Particularly, this includes radio frequencies.

While our currently-used radio frequencies are common knowledge (and available via a quick google search), we are getting new freq's and those aren't commonly known.  Any post violating the FOUO will be edited to keep NHQ happy. ;)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Skyray

While I agree with your post implicitly, members should remember that any transmission that is not scrambled is subject to intercept.  Even if using the new frequencies, sensitive information should not be passed in the clear.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

whatevah

yup, unless you're using a P25 keyed channel, anybody and his brother can listen to ya.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Skyray

Quote from: whatevah on June 23, 2005, 06:27:38 PM
yup, unless you're using a P25 keyed channel, anybody and his brother can listen to ya.

Yep, some years ago I had a customs attorney telling me how secure cellphones were because of the frequency restrictions.  Just to prove a point, I flipped on the R-7000 and proved him wrong with a vengence.  We overheard a DEA agent on stake-out surveillance in Los Angeles, telling his girl friend, who was a federal prosecutor in Miami, exactly where he was (street address), who he was after, and what he was doing.  I watched Mister Custom's eyes get big, and then he started writing.  I was only about half joking when I told him that the law prohibited him from using anything he heard for personal gain.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: whatevah on March 28, 2005, 10:47:13 PM
Please remember that certain information available to members is FOUO, and is not to be disclosed to those who don't "need to know". Particularly, this includes radio frequencies.

While our currently-used radio frequencies are common knowledge (and available via a quick google search), we are getting new freq's and those aren't commonly known.  Any post violating the FOUO will be edited to keep NHQ happy. ;)

what is the FOUO.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 27, 2005, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: whatevah on March 28, 2005, 10:47:13 PM

what is the FOUO.

FOUO stands for "For Offical Use Only."  That is information that is, well, used for official use only. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

i see. so for like officers of CAP or all members. ???
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: whatevah on June 23, 2005, 06:27:38 PM
Sir what is the P25 keyed channel.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

arajca

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 27, 2005, 08:36:21 PM

No. For Official Use Only means information is to be given to and used only by those who have a need based on the organizational responsibilities, who may or may not be officers.

P25, aka APCO P25 standard, radio uses a specific digital encoding and transmitting format known as P25. A P25 keyed channel is a channel that is programmed to use this format. Most P25 radios can be programmed to work with or without the P25 format.

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: arajca on June 27, 2005, 08:56:19 PM
Quote from: Cheergirl on June 27, 2005, 08:36:21 PM

No. For Official Use Only means information is to be given to and used only by those who have a need based on the organizational responsibilities, who may or may not be officers.

P25, aka APCO P25 standard, radio uses a specific digital encoding and transmitting format known as P25. A P25 keyed channel is a channel that is programmed to use this format. Most P25 radios can be programmed to work with or without the P25 format.

thank you so much i understand now.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Skyray

Quotethank you so much i understand now.

I understand, unless you mean the protocol, and I really have no need to know that.  However, I am not active with CAP communications.  Is P25 the encryption protocol that sounds like white noise that can't be squelched out?
Doug Johnson - Miami

dwb

Quote from: arajca on June 27, 2005, 08:56:19 PMNo. For Official Use Only means information is to be given to and used only by those who have a need based on the organizational responsibilities, who may or may not be officers.

This is an excellent description of FOUO, but I'm going to expand on it anyway (leave now if you're even a little bit sleepy).

The designation "For Official Use Only" is used throughout the U.S. government.  It is a dissemination restriction that can be placed on Unclassified data.  FOUO material is exempt from the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).  Hence, you cannot make a FOIA request to obtain CAP frequencies, or anything else marked FOUO.

FOUO information is given out on the basis of "need to know", which as mentioned above, means that the information is needed to perform organizational responsibilities.  Pretty much anyone can make a need to know determination on FOUO.  In fact, it is the responsibility of the person sharing the information to determine whether it should be shared.

What does this mean to the average CAP member?  Not much, since a lot of radios are pre-programmed with the frequencies, and you only need to know channel numbers (which are not FOUO).  Should you require any CAP frequencies to perform training or actual missions, you are allowed access to them.

FOUO does not mean classified, and care should be taken not to go overboard with it (i.e., restricting access to senior members only, because you can't trust those pesky cadets!)  It just means that you shouldn't give frequencies to people who are not in CAP, or don't need them.

Proper marking mechanisms for FOUO include:

For Offical Use Only

-- and --

Unclassified//For Official Use Only

Most organizations mark material at the top and bottom of every page, in the header and footer sections of the document.  If a document contains mixed classifications, portion markings are used on paragraphs to denote specific restrictions.

If, for example, you have a 350-page document, but only one paragraph is FOUO (hence making the whole document FOUO), you can designate it with a porion marking:

(U//FOUO) Don't release me!

Whew!  *nudge* you can wake up now. :)

arajca

Quote from: justin_bailey on June 28, 2005, 03:22:15 PM
Quote from: arajca on June 27, 2005, 08:56:19 PMNo. For Official Use Only means information is to be given to and used only by those who have a need based on the organizational responsibilities, who may or may not be officers.

This is an excellent description of FOUO, but I'm going to expand on it anyway (leave now if you're even a little bit sleepy).

The designation "For Official Use Only" is used throughout the U.S. government.  It is a dissemination restriction that can be placed on Unclassified data.  FOUO material is exempt from the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).  Hence, you cannot make a FOIA request to obtain CAP frequencies, or anything else marked FOUO.
On FOIA requests: CAP is not a governmental agency (our USAF Aux status is irrelevent in this regard) and therefore is not subject to FOIA requests. I got this from the COWG Legal officer (I wanted to make sure I had the straight dope on it). In CO, if a unit receives a FOIA request, the policy is to inform the requestor that CAP is not subject to FOIA requests. If they insist, the unit refers them to the COWG Legal Officer, who is more than willing to inform the request of the error of their ways in full and complete legalese. The requestor may try to file the FOIA request on the USAF, but that involves a whole different level of legal mumbo-jumbo.

QuoteFOUO information is given out on the basis of "need to know", which as mentioned above, means that the information is needed to perform organizational responsibilities.  Pretty much anyone can make a need to know determination on FOUO.  In fact, it is the responsibility of the person sharing the information to determine whether it should be shared.
Actually, it is up to the originating agency to determine who can get the information and how it gets diseminated.

QuoteWhat does this mean to the average CAP member?  Not much, since a lot of radios are pre-programmed with the frequencies, and you only need to know channel numbers (which are not FOUO).  Should you require any CAP frequencies to perform training or actual missions, you are allowed access to them.
Basically the people who will have access to the actual frequency information are those members who program radios or work in communications coordination with outside agencies.

QuoteFOUO does not mean classified, and care should be taken not to go overboard with it (i.e., restricting access to senior members only, because you can't trust those pesky cadets!)  It just means that you shouldn't give frequencies to people who are not in CAP, or don't need them.

Proper marking mechanisms for FOUO include:

For Offical Use Only

-- and --

Unclassified//For Official Use Only

Most organizations mark material at the top and bottom of every page, in the header and footer sections of the document.  If a document contains mixed classifications, portion markings are used on paragraphs to denote specific restrictions.

If, for example, you have a 350-page document, but only one paragraph is FOUO (hence making the whole document FOUO), you can designate it with a porion marking:

(U//FOUO) Don't release me!

Whew!  *nudge* you can wake up now. :)

Matt

To answer Mr. Johnson's question (sorry I'm nor sure of your grade) P25 doesn't really zone out squelch even though it is digital.  It is encryption for message security.  Unless someone has another P25 radio, they're hear only squelch, this, if my memory serves correctly, is also the case with scanners.

In jist, Congress was looking for money, they went to the DoD and NTIA and said, you have freq's you don't use, can we sell them... they of course said sure... a few months later they needed them and told congress to come up with something as to be able to have new freq's.  This is where wideband and narrowband came into play.  The P25 is on top of narrowband as so that we can utilize channels more effectively.

P-25 on the newly nat'l issued Johnson Handhelds is a little over a $400 add-on, of which we do have on them.

Although we are NOT active duty in the eyes of many, our frequencies are handled by the gov't, and under those guides, we can use the //FOUO// and have backing.

I have seen the new channels that have been added already, and knowing that, I can openly say that the //FOUO// is indeed useful on those objects.

Little known fact:  CAP has more frequencies than anyone actually knows, we have them on all bands, but they aren't talked about nor published anywhere.  CAP Comms' are a national resource and a resource for the USAF, FEMA, and if needed SHAREs, now if only we could get our stuff in one pile...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on August 10, 2005, 01:28:57 PM
...[big snip]...  now if only we could get our stuff in one pile...

and if we could only stay with the same system long enough to adopt it on a practical, wide-scale basis.   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

NDCS

As to FOUO is in regards to frequencies. The frequencies belong to USAF and they want CAP to safeguard them. In 2007 CAP will be changing to New frequencies and will go narrow band on FM radios.

It means you can not release CAP radio frequencies to any one with out permission of Wing Director of communications. CAP start this now so everyone will know the policy when we receive the the new frequencies.

Never give radio frequencies over the radio use channel identifier. If you need to tell someone to go to a certain channel say go Channel two or if name such as CAP SPX 2 (CAP simplex 2)

Also remove frequencies list from public view such as web pages and and any place the public can see it.

ND/DC
Dean Reiter Col CAP
ND/CC ND001

alpha06

This thread is funny. Youguys are making such a big deal out the acrnym FOUO. I use it everyday n my work. It isnt that serious. It only means sending of certain information is for official use only. I dont even see wher eit would apply to CAP. Sorry to bust your bubble, but ists not some secret squirl thing.
Lord, if I must have an engine failure, let it be the Hobbs meter.

arajca

Quote from: alpha06 on September 21, 2005, 10:53:22 AM
This thread is funny. Youguys are making such a big deal out the acrnym FOUO. I use it everyday n my work. It isnt that serious. It only means sending of certain information is for official use only. I dont even see wher eit would apply to CAP. Sorry to bust your bubble, but ists not some secret squirl thing.

It may not be that serious to you in your work, but to members who don't use on a daily basis, it is serious. We take our directions on this from a little know organization called the US Air Force. Our radio frequencies are AF frequencies dedicated to Civil Air Patrol. The USAF provides directives on how to handle this information, and it is up to us to handle it correctly. If - as in this case - the Air Force designates it FOUO, then CAP has to handle it accordingly. And we are making strides in doing so, but we haven't got everyone there yet.

On a side note, become familiar with the second button to the right of the "Post" button, the one that says "Spell Check". It will help make your posts readable.

alpha06

Thanks for that. Itype fast sorry. What sensetive information do we broadcast on our radios that we dont want the general public toknow? The only thing I canthink of is names of deceased people we find. In my other little organiztion known as the United States Army, we do have very sensative items. I just dont see that in CAP. Sorry
Lord, if I must have an engine failure, let it be the Hobbs meter.