"Historic" Awards

Started by Falling Hare, September 17, 2017, 06:01:18 PM

Falling Hare

Guys,

Have lost almost all of my 20 year CAP paperwork due to a hard drive failure.  Fortunately I have my paper Observer log with mission numbers, pilots signatures etc.  My Senior Observer award paperwork is long gone, and I would still like to wear the wings, even though it would be a "historic" and not a current qualification.  E-services seems geared to current qualifications and there doesn't seem to be a provision for awards earned in the distant past.  I know there used to be a paper form for award of aviation and ES badges but I can't seem to find it in the current listings.

I am currently serving as aircrew and enjoying myself as an AP after a long time away from CAP...and I like the new AC wings.

Enjoy working in airplanes, but the tremendous changes to "glass cockpit" G1000 gear is intimidating to an old-timer like me,  so I don't think I will be working on updating my Observer qualifications any time soon.  Perhaps it is time to start calling our right seat Observers "Flight Engineers" instead.

SarDragon

If you can substantiate the Observer wings, you should be able to do a 2a and get them back.

As for Aircrew wings you can only wear one aeronautical rating, so it would be a choice - AC or Senior Observer.

FE would not be a good name for the position. They do more aircraft management than a CAP right-seater does.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Falling Hare on September 17, 2017, 06:01:18 PM
Guys,

Have lost almost all of my 20 year CAP paperwork due to a hard drive failure. 

https://www.gillware.com/

I have had very good luck with them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Guys,

Have lost almost all of my 20 year CAP paperwork due to a hard drive failure.  Fortunately I have my paper Observer log with mission numbers, pilots signatures etc.  My Senior Observer award paperwork is long gone, and I would still like to wear the wings, even though it would be a "historic" and not a current qualification.

I feel your pain, as something similar happened to me a few years ago. I had to redo everything I had no documentation for. Now I look back and think it was actually a good thing. It forced me to re-familiarize myself with the organization, it's programs, missions, regulations, etc. In the long run, I believe it made me a better CAP officer.

E-services seems geared to current qualifications and there doesn't seem to be a provision for awards earned in the distant past.  I know there used to be a paper form for award of aviation and ES badges but I can't seem to find it in the current listings.

All aircrew ratings can be documented and approved in eServices > Ops Quals regardless of when they were earned. You don't have to be current since all aircrew ratings are permanent awards IAW CAPR 35-6. That said, you need to be able to provide documentation/proof that you earned the rating and/or meet the requirements for the rating.

I am currently serving as aircrew and enjoying myself as an AP after a long time away from CAP...and I like the new AC wings.

Enjoy working in airplanes, but the tremendous changes to "glass cockpit" G1000 gear is intimidating to an old-timer like me,  so I don't think I will be working on updating my Observer qualifications any time soon.  Perhaps it is time to start calling our right seat Observers "Flight Engineers" instead.

CAP Observers and Flight Engineers have different training and skill sets, and perform different functions. I would argue that CAP Observers are closer to Navigators than they are to Flight Engineers. But even then, the functions they perform are somewhat different.

I hope everything works out. Good luck!

PHall

Call them "Systems Operators". Because in no way are they Flight Engineers!

Falling Hare

Guys

I just attached a scan of my logbook to eservices/Ops.Qual. and submitted with the Senior Observer field checked.  It went through within 24 hours!

It will take awhile to get my ribbon paperwork reissued and submitted; but at least I can now do it online.  Although the issue dates will look odd...being a recent reissue date all within a one month period ( I have no idea what the original issued dates were).

Eclipse....thanks for the referral.  The drive failed a few years ago and I had few options at that time. Now I keep everything on "armored" high capacity thumb drives...no moving parts to fail.

Thanks everyone!