Main Menu

BDU COVER ROLLS

Started by trekkindave, August 08, 2007, 04:39:01 PM

jb512

Quote from: O-Rex on November 13, 2007, 03:14:12 AM
Depends on who/where you are and what you're doing: If you're "downrange" someplace hot & sandy where bullets & bombs fly, rumpled is not a fashion-statement, just a matter of practicality.  Garrison is another matter entirely.  Good soldiers can transition from one to the other with relative ease and still keep the edge.

The "battleworn" look is not something a CAP member should even attempt.

It's about as cheesy as "There I was, WW-Squadron meeting: whining cadets to the left, complacent seniors to the right, and I was all out of Prozac. . . . ."

Well of course.  Obviously out in the woods looking for plane wreckage is much different from drill and ceremony night at a meeting.

jb512

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 13, 2007, 03:36:21 AM
And yet I've seen the roll more than once at encampment, or the ball cap crush, even seeing it mandated by cadets in charge to other cadet staff. :(

But I don't think that is completely uncalled for, to an extent.  Obviously the ranger roll is prohibited by regulation and we don't have any cadets who have been to Ranger school (that would be basics at an encampment).  But, there are cadets who have mastered the sharp, crisp look of the hat without that extreme, and just pulling it down from the back of your head in the shape of a bowl looks like crap.

mikeylikey

Then there are new Wing Kings who decide "since we have Orange hats, the rules don't apply and if you went to Hawk you can Roll your orange ball cap".  I kid you not, the first email from the new PAWG CC was in regard to allowing rolling of the Orange Baseball Hats. 

Makes you think where priorities are being placed!
What's up monkeys?

Rangersigo

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 13, 2007, 02:55:44 AM
Guess times have changed.  Floppy hats and wrinkled BDUs lean more toward the "unprofessional" look.

That is the irony of this.  Many who wore the uniform did so solely in a garrison environment.  The last time their boots hit the dirt, it was probably in their intital training - and more than likely only during a shortcut to the chow hall or medical clinic.

I remember that the standard for the units I served in were normally fluff and buff, unless there was a ceremony or some type of special duty that would require starch and spits.  Remember BDU stands for Battle Dress Uniform.

There is some practicality of rolling your hat, besides the look.  By crushing and.or rolling it removes the air between the head and cap, making it easier to keep on your head windy conditions.

These things only come up when some wannabee decides to emulate a unit or person that they cannot.  I remember when the Army in all their wisdom decided to give a black beret to everyone.  What a brilliant idea, take away an honored item of the Rangers and give to the masses.  That was a very solemn ceremony when we exchanged our black berets for the tan berets.

This really comes down to class envy - seen it too many times.

mikeylikey

^  You can have the Beret back brother.  I hate it.  I never cared for them, thought it was the worst day in the Army when they made us put them on.  Second worst day......when they made us get in ACU's and take our branch insignia off to make the enlisted folk feel better about themselves.  Third worst day (upcoming) making us get into a grey shirt with the Army Blue uniform.  I like the blues fine as they are now.
What's up monkeys?

jb512

Quote from: Rangersigo on November 13, 2007, 02:33:01 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on November 13, 2007, 02:55:44 AM
Guess times have changed.  Floppy hats and wrinkled BDUs lean more toward the "unprofessional" look.

That is the irony of this.  Many who wore the uniform did so solely in a garrison environment.  The last time their boots hit the dirt, it was probably in their intital training - and more than likely only during a shortcut to the chow hall or medical clinic.

I remember that the standard for the units I served in were normally fluff and buff, unless there was a ceremony or some type of special duty that would require starch and spits.  Remember BDU stands for Battle Dress Uniform.

There is some practicality of rolling your hat, besides the look.  By crushing and.or rolling it removes the air between the head and cap, making it easier to keep on your head windy conditions.

These things only come up when some wannabee decides to emulate a unit or person that they cannot.  I remember when the Army in all their wisdom decided to give a black beret to everyone.  What a brilliant idea, take away an honored item of the Rangers and give to the masses.  That was a very solemn ceremony when we exchanged our black berets for the tan berets.

This really comes down to class envy - seen it too many times.

The army should have left the black beret well enough alone and given the tan to the troops if they wanted to give everybody the warm fuzzies.

All we're saying is that you don't have to look sloppy, just because your branch tape says "civil air patrol".  There is no need for the roll in your hat, but at least make it stand up a little and be professional.

Stonewall

Quote from: Rangersigo on November 13, 2007, 02:33:01 PMI remember when the Army in all their wisdom decided to give a black beret to everyone.  What a brilliant idea, take away an honored item of the Rangers and give to the masses.  That was a very solemn ceremony when we exchanged our black berets for the tan berets.

Back in what, 2000, when the decision was made to do this, I wrote a protest against the decision in Army Times and was published.  Still to this date, I am glad I got out of the Army (Guard at the time) before I had to wear the beret.

I was at Hunter Army Airfield last month and noticed that most people don't seem to be wearing berets anyway.  Seems most are wearing ACU hats.  And to be honest, I didn't notice whether or not folks were "rolling" them. 
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Off topic: Black berets are for Amour and some other mechanized units.  JMHO. [/limey]
Mike Johnston

McClure457467

Actually, it is up to the base/post Commander if soldiers should wear the black beret or patrol cap. My parents are in the Army and they have to wear the black beret.
Cadet Staff Sergeant McClure
MER-VA-060
Civil Air Patrol
"These things we do, That others may live"

Stonewall

Quote from: McClure457467 on July 12, 2012, 11:11:46 PM
Actually, it is up to the base/post Commander if soldiers should wear the black beret or patrol cap. My parents are in the Army and they have to wear the black beret.

No, it was announced last year that black berets will no longer be worn with ACUs, only in their service uniform, whatever it's called these days.

Army Times Article.

It even made the ABC News.
Serving since 1987.

Grumpy

Quote from: Stonewall on July 12, 2012, 11:23:14 PM

No, it was announced last year that black berets will no longer be worn with ACUs, only in their service uniform, whatever it's called these days.

Army Times Article.

It even made the ABC News.

Read the last sentence in the last paragraph.

PHall

You do realize this thread HAD been dead for five years before you posted on it, right?

Huey Driver

First impressions last here. Trying to prove a point by resurrecting a five year old uniform thread is probably one of the worst ways to jump in. Anyway, welcome!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

ol'fido

I don't know about Ranger rolls, but when I see a starched cover, I get this vision of smoking a large cigar, having a full beard, and standing on a balcony waving to the proletariat.  "Viva la Revolution!" >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on July 13, 2012, 12:00:44 AM

You do realize this thread HAD been dead for five years before you posted on it, right?

Unholy zombie thread indeed   >:D

lordmonar

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 01:15:53 AM
I don't know about Ranger rolls, but when I see a starched cover, I get this vision of smoking a large cigar, having a full beard, and standing on a balcony waving to the proletariat.  "Viva la Revolution!" >:D
Well.....you know the funny part about that......El Presidente was playing WANNA-BE.  Everyone (not the USAF) back in the 50s-60s wanted those stove pipe hats to be sharp and tall.

So just remember that what goes around...comes around....if everyone in the Army started ranger rolling their patrol caps....the rangers would just pick some other "cool  thing" that set them apart.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Grumpy

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2012, 05:52:02 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 01:15:53 AM
Well.....you know the funny part about that......El Presidente was playing WANNA-BE.  Everyone (not the USAF) back in the 50s-60s wanted those stove pipe hats to be sharp and tall.

So just remember that what goes around...comes around....if everyone in the Army started ranger rolling their patrol caps....the rangers would just pick some other "cool  thing" that set them apart.

As I recall, they were called Ridgeways after General Ridgeway.