Main Menu

BDU COVER ROLLS

Started by trekkindave, August 08, 2007, 04:39:01 PM

trekkindave

Ok, i know WIWAC that we always got yelled at to take the "ranger roll" out of ou BDU covers.  Does anyone know if that was an official CAP thing, or just some personal peve of the cadets in charge back then at my squadron.   I think its looks better and makes the cover look more squadred away.. something about the cover sitting down low and looking floppy just looks 8-Up to me...

TankerT

It is in the CAPM 39-1.  Read under the various headgear figures.  It is prohibited.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

trekkindave

davedove

Can anyone provide a picture of a cap that's been "ranger rolled?"  I'm sure I've seen one before, but I sure couldn't tell you what it looks like.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

stillamarine

Quote from: trekkindave on August 08, 2007, 04:39:01 PM
Ok, i know WIWAC that we always got yelled at to take the "ranger roll" out of ou BDU covers.  Does anyone know if that was an official CAP thing, or just some personal peve of the cadets in charge back then at my squadron.   I think its looks better and makes the cover look more squadred away.. something about the cover sitting down low and looking floppy just looks 8-Up to me...

Use starch and it won't look all floppy. Get a thin piece of cardboard, roll it into the cover to make it tight and straight, starch the living heck out of it, iron. No reason your cover can't look good.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Flying Pig

Here ya go.

jimmydeanno

^we should play caption contest with that one  :D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CASH172

His uniform is interesting to me.  He's got a ranger roll, in a DCU with a 101st Patch with Tech Sergeant Stripes.  A little interesting if you ask me.  I could understand how that works but you just don't see too much of that.

JayT

Quote from: CASH172 on August 09, 2007, 01:05:24 AM
His uniform is interesting to me.  He's got a ranger roll, in a DCU with a 101st Patch with Tech Sergeant Sergeant Stripes.  A little interesting if you ask me.  I could understand how that works but you just don't see too much of that.

What is a cover?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CASH172

Quote from: JThemann on August 09, 2007, 01:15:49 AM
His uniform is interesting to me.  He's got a ranger roll, in a DCU with a 101st Patch with Tech Sergeant Sergeant Stripes.  A little interesting if you ask me.  I could understand how that works but you just don't see too much of that.

What is a cover?

Another term for your hat. 

jimmydeanno

His uniform is interesting to me.  He's got a ranger roll, in a DCU with a 101st Patch with Tech Sergeant Stripes.  A little interesting if you ask me.  I could understand how that works but you just don't see too much of that.

Looks like an AF TSgt assigned to the Army 101st...when in Rome...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 08, 2007, 11:07:13 PM
Here ya go.

That's what I thought it was.  You know, I don't really like that.  I'm sure there are reasons for doing that, but it just looks sloppy to me.  I much prefer the sharp look of a regular bdu cover.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Hawk200

Considering the Kestrel he's holding, he's an Army Support Weather guy. Being with 101st, probably jump qualified, too. Not a common job, but a good Joint Support one to pad your resume with.

Stonewall

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 09, 2007, 04:02:31 PM
Being with 101st, probably jump qualified, too.

101st is not a jump unit, but yes, he could be jump qualified as most of the combat weather guys I know are.

As for the Ranger Roll, it's more traditional than anything, but it shouldn't be in CAP.  It's just something a lot of guys in the Army do (or did), not sure anymore.  Very few Rangers don't do it and a few non-rangers do do it.  Not sure if it's really a big deal, but I personally don't think it's necessary, especially in CAP.  Have I done it, yes.  Do I do it, no.  Some say it looks cool, some say it looks goofy.  Members of the 101st wore mohawks in WWII.  Why?  Because it was a morale boost, offered a violent look to scare the bad guys, I don't know.  Ranger roll in CAP?  Not really something I care for.  Mostly because too many CAPers end up looking more goofy than anything.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on August 09, 2007, 05:20:34 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 09, 2007, 04:02:31 PM
Being with 101st, probably jump qualified, too.

101st is not a jump unit, ....

I keep forgetting that. Still amazes me, that an organization with the "Airborne" label, isn't actually Airborne. They're Air Assault, right?

Stonewall

Yep, it's just a traditional part of the patch.  101st Air Assault Division is how they're mostly refered to now.  But what most people don't realize is that almost every division has a LRSD/LRSU that is Airborne Qualified.  So yes, there are some jumpers in 101st.  I like 10th Mountain Div's LRS.  They'll be wearing a Ranger Tab, Airborne Tab, Mountain Tab and if they earned it, SF and Sapper.  Not sure of the regs, but I've seen 4 tabs stacked on a dude's arm before.  Kind of goofy yet kind of cool.

Sorry, back to hat crushing ranger rolling.
Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

Quote from: Stonewall on August 09, 2007, 05:30:47 PM
Sorry, back to hat crushing ranger rolling.

Might be the first time someone said "crushing" in this thred. You probably won't find a military photo of this one, but more CAP members in my area do this as apposed to the 360 roll.

I do it, knowing full well it's not reg. The hat fits my big, misshapped melon better with the front crushed. It doesn't fall off or get knocked down very easily. I like the way it looks. None of these reasons warrant breaking the reg, but luckly the people around me choose their uniform infraction battles carefully... right down to ignoring the pocket on my Hanes black t-shirt.

I think the cardboard or ice cream lid in the inner-top of the hat is more funny looking... like a little end table. What I do think is the most tacky - and might NOT even be an infraction - at rolling/folding the side edges of the bill down. I call this one the "NASCAR roll".

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JohnKachenmeister

I believe that back in the late 1970's or early 1980's the 101st was officially changed back to 101st Airborne Division, with a parenthetical (Air Assault).

The unit was called the 101st Air Assault Division during the Vietnam war.  That name change never sat too well with the 101st troopers.
Another former CAP officer

Flying Pig

He is an Air Force Combat Weatherman assigned to the 101st Airborne.   You often see them with the 82nd patch also.

jb512

Another good way to shape up your hat:

Fashion some kind of shaper out of a sturdy material.  I use the sheet metal kind of tubing for a drier vent.  Completely soak the hat in heavy starch and then slide it down over your shaper, making sure to smooth out the wrinkles.  Tie a string to the shaper, stick it in the drier with the string hanging it against the inside of the door so that it won't move and hit high heat until it's dry.  It comes out as stiff as a board.