Different shade of ABU?

Started by SAREXinNY, May 07, 2016, 09:54:08 PM

Ned

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 07, 2016, 05:30:59 PM

The Air Force got rid of its weight and height standard years ago. Why is CAP still clinging to ours?

Not really.  The AF no longer uses H/W charts (with the attendant weigh-ins, certified tapers, etc.), but reaches the same effect with their fairly vigorous PT test, which includes a waist measurement. 

Based on my conversations with multiple AF senior leaders, including the Vice Chief of Staff, they would actually be delighted if we used the same standards.  However, they realize that is unrealistic in a volunteer force that was historically formed out of folks that did not meet the requirements for military service.

Hence the current compromise.  We use what was then (but no longer) the current AF standard plus 10%.  And we have adopted other uniforms to accommodate members who cannot wear the USAF-style.  Unlike the AF's restrictive standards, this allows all of our  members to serve.  They AF kicks larger, unfit members out (after a process).  We are far more inclusive, and welcome the contributions of all our members, regardless of size or grooming choices.

Storm Chaser

I'm very familiar with the history of this standard, but the fact remains that even those who are considered overweight in the Air Force can and do wear the Air Force uniform. Furthermore, there are waivers for those who can't complete one or more parts of the physical fitness tests, although waivers are becoming less prevalent and many have been relieved from service for failing the fitness test multiple times. The bottom line is that, while the Air Force has a standard, it affects service not uniform wear. I realize that standard wouldn't work for CAP, hence we're stuck with the old standard.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 07, 2016, 05:42:09 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2016, 03:01:53 PM
If appearance, not to mention integrity, are "important", then hold people to the standard or drop the standard.

I agree. The Air Force got rid of its weight and height standard years ago. Why is CAP still clinging to ours? I think the standard either needs to be dropped or modified to better reflect our reality as an organization. Otherwise, we should go to a non AF-style uniform that EVERYONE can wear.

Wasn't the "generous" (at the time) standard pushed on us by the AF?

Very possible. But just like the ABUs CAP said we couldn't have even though we never asked (until now), it's also possible we haven't ask the Air Force to relax this standard to allow more members to wear the AF-style uniform.

If we're unable or unwilling to change the standard or go to a single uniform everyone can wear, then how about correcting the omissions on the current corporate uniform such as the lack of a standardized color and type/cut of trousers, the lack of a corporate service dress coat, and the lack of a hat other than the "infamous" CAP baseball cap.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 07, 2016, 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 07, 2016, 05:42:09 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2016, 03:01:53 PM
If appearance, not to mention integrity, are "important", then hold people to the standard or drop the standard.

I agree. The Air Force got rid of its weight and height standard years ago. Why is CAP still clinging to ours? I think the standard either needs to be dropped or modified to better reflect our reality as an organization. Otherwise, we should go to a non AF-style uniform that EVERYONE can wear.

Wasn't the "generous" (at the time) standard pushed on us by the AF?

Very possible. But just like the ABUs CAP said we couldn't have even though we never asked (until now), it's also possible we haven't ask the Air Force to relax this standard to allow more members to wear the AF-style uniform.

If we're unable or unwilling to change the standard or go to a single uniform everyone can wear, then how about correcting the omissions on the current corporate uniform such as the lack of a standardized color and type/cut of trousers, the lack of a corporate service dress coat, and the lack of a hat other than the "infamous" CAP baseball cap.

I think the G/W changes are DOA, as the stated purpose is to be able to fling this thing together on a moments notice based on goodwill rack/closet availability. As to the standards, I agree to an extent. We've had members retire in Blues from the AF one day, and slip into G/Ws in CAP the next, simply because their size doesn't work our chart. Doesn't seem right. As has been posted, a lot of overweight members may look better in the uniform than those within the standards with the right size. But the rules are rules at this time, and I wish more people had the integrity to follow them.

Storm Chaser

If we make the corporate service dress coat and hat optional and keep the current uniform configurations available, then it wouldn't defeat that purpose, but expand and provide additional options for those who want them.