Different shade of ABU?

Started by SAREXinNY, May 07, 2016, 09:54:08 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: grunt82abn on June 06, 2016, 08:03:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2016, 07:54:56 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on June 06, 2016, 07:52:36 PM
What is this so called uniform your pursuing for us adult members that meets mission needs and isn't exclusionary? I have only heard of ABU's or the Corporate Blue BDU, didn't know there was another uniform option being considered.

There isn't, which is the point.

I'm missing the meaning of how the ABU doesn't meet mission needs and/or is exclusionary to adults members I guess.

He considers it exclusionary as not ALL Adults may wear it, due to weight and/or grooming standards.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

grunt82abn

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 06, 2016, 08:14:15 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on June 06, 2016, 08:03:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2016, 07:54:56 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on June 06, 2016, 07:52:36 PM
What is this so called uniform your pursuing for us adult members that meets mission needs and isn't exclusionary? I have only heard of ABU's or the Corporate Blue BDU, didn't know there was another uniform option being considered.

There isn't, which is the point.

I'm missing the meaning of how the ABU doesn't meet mission needs and/or is exclusionary to adults members I guess.

He considers it exclusionary as not ALL Adults may wear it, due to weight and/or grooming standards.

I choose to wear corporate and don't feel excluded at all. IMHO, I think it's a nice option for adult members like me who do not want to wear a military uniform again. Allows me to wear something uniformish, without looking like a rag bag in street cloths. Thanks for clearing that up!!!
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Eclipse

I don't "consider it" exclusionary, it is as a matter of fact and regulation.

It also fails the mission test in that camo for SAR work is a poor choice, and the "affinity" it seeks to
engender isn't available for (arguably) more then half the adult membership.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2016, 08:31:42 PM

I don't "consider it" exclusionary, it is as a matter of fact and regulation.

It also fails the mission test in that camo for SAR work is a poor choice, and the "affinity" it seeks to
engender isn't available for (arguably) more then half the adult membership.

I consider ABU's to be just fine.  Just google the ABU wear tests and how miserably they fail at concealment.  There's even anecdotal evidence here on CapTalk at how the BBDUs suck without an orange vest.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

They are fine, and the world won't end, but in the philosophical argument regarding CAP's "next" uniform,
"because those guys have a pile no one else wants" isn't how it should be decided.

CAP has traditionally been a dumping ground for DRMO cast-offs and related equipment and technology.
I think my wing actually still has a repainted blue van from the 90's that's been past its duty cycle for about
10 years (might be gone finally).

Sometimes this has been a benefit, but often it just means we have a pile of stuff no one wants, that
doesn't work the way it was supposed to, or is obsolete when we get it, because that's why we got it.

In fact, in the Total F..orce announcements, it was indicated CAP would be the "beneficiary" of
military technology no longer in use.  The problem with that is that the internet and cheap electronics
means that we can't pretend better doesn't exist, or that we aren't competing with 12 year olds who
have an Amazon account and nicer toys.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

We may not always like what Eclipse is saying or how he's saying it, but that doesn't mean he's wrong... not always, anyway.  ;)

lordmonar

But that's not how it was decided.  It was decided because    We wanted them for various reasons.   The argument is why is anyone complaining about free stuff?   We would be wearing ABUs even if the USAF did not have a bunch in supply. 
It was Eclipse who was trying fight a dead argument.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

I don't have an issue with free stuff as long as its serviceable. These ABUs happen to be brand new, which is a good deal for many of our cadets and senior members. But that doesn't mean that some of Eclipse' points are not valid.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 06, 2016, 10:48:30 PM
I don't have an issue with free stuff as long as its serviceable. These ABUs happen to be brand new, which is a good deal for many of our cadets and senior members. But that doesn't mean that some of Eclipse' points are not valid.

Word on the street is that cadets will get priority, and few if any will be available to SMs.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 07, 2016, 04:43:32 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 06, 2016, 10:48:30 PM

Word on the street is that cadets will get priority, and few if any will be available to SMs.

That is correct. Priority will be given as follows:

• Cadets
  • Adult members who actively work with cadets
  • Emergency Services personnel
  • All remaining

Base on the numbers, I'm sure many senior members, although not all, will be able to get a set of ABUs.

Eclipse

All adult personnel wanting a free uniform should be required to weigh-in before receiving it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I saw the list. The largest size for men trousers was 46 and for women was 22.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2016, 04:59:35 AM
All adult personnel wanting a free uniform should be required to weigh-in before receiving it.

Fully, 100% agree. I've self-policed with a little guidance and challenge from Spam. Neither of us will wear any AF style until we've lost a little girth. Hurts like he** but I'm not going to dishonor the uniform any longer by wearing it improperly.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 07, 2016, 01:28:45 PM

Fully, 100% agree. I've self-policed with a little guidance and challenge from Spam. Neither of us will wear any AF style until we've lost a little girth. Hurts like he** but I'm not going to dishonor the uniform any longer by wearing it improperly.

:clap: :clap:

Good for you.  I keep an eye on my weight with help from our workplace nurse to keep it honest, for the same reasons.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on June 07, 2016, 02:04:03 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on June 07, 2016, 01:28:45 PM

:clap: :clap:

Good for you.  I keep an eye on my weight with help from our workplace nurse to keep it honest, for the same reasons.

As of today I'm 25lbs away from compliance. It's a long road, but it's certainly better than when I was 60+ lbs away from it.

Storm Chaser

I'm a little less concerned with complying with actual weight and height requirements, than I am with members wearing their uniforms correctly to include wearing the right size. Some members may be out of standard by a few pounds, but present a professional military image while wearing the uniform. Others, unfortunately, wear uniforms a size or two too small or wear their uniforms incorrectly, which presents an unprofessional image and reflects poorly on the organization.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 07, 2016, 02:42:01 PM
I'm a little less concerned with complying with actual weight and height requirements, than I am with members wearing their uniforms correctly to include wearing the right size. Some members may be out of standard by a few pounds, but present a professional military image while wearing the uniform. Others, unfortunately, wear uniforms a size or two too small or wear their uniforms incorrectly, which presents an unprofessional image and reflects poorly on the organization.

Yeah, you just can't win, and ultimately it defeats the very purpose CAP is trying for.

Members too heavy "size-up" and look fine, while others in weight cheap out and try to wear their cadet
uniform to their Lt Col pinning.  I'll take the former over the latter, too, but ultimately it's about a number not
the appearance.

Someday someone will explain the heartburn over an annual weigh-in for those who want to wear the USAF combos.
If appearance, not to mention integrity, are "important", then hold people to the standard or drop the standard.

CAP is too concerned about alienating members who willfully violate the regs, but has no issue alienating those
who follow the rules and watch others flagrantly violate them?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2016, 03:01:53 PM
CAP is too concerned about alienating members who willfully violate the regs, but has no issue alienating those
who follow the rules and watch others flagrantly violate them?

Yes.

Storm Chaser

If appearance, not to mention integrity, are "important", then hold people to the standard or drop the standard.

I agree. The Air Force got rid of its weight and height standard years ago. Why is CAP still clinging to ours? I think the standard either needs to be dropped or modified to better reflect our reality as an organization. Otherwise, we should go to a non AF-style uniform that EVERYONE can wear.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 07, 2016, 05:30:59 PM

I agree. The Air Force got rid of its weight and height standard years ago. Why is CAP still clinging to ours? I think the standard either needs to be dropped or modified to better reflect our reality as an organization. Otherwise, we should go to a non AF-style uniform that EVERYONE can wear.

Wasn't the "generous" (at the time) standard pushed on us by the AF?