Different shade of ABU?

Started by SAREXinNY, May 07, 2016, 09:54:08 PM

SAREXinNY

I was on the AAFES to get prices on the ABUs and I noticed they have two totally different shades:

https://www.shopmyexchange.com//dlats-rabu-trousers/5282878/1826

and

https://www.shopmyexchange.com//dlats-rabu-trouser/5282740/1826

They are both "ABU" but they look totally different.  Can anyone bring me up to speed?

Гугл переводчик

This is from an Air Force website, released around the time the AF switched over.

"Some ABUs issued or purchased through AAFES, have shade variances, but they are all within the shade tolerance specifications set by the Air Force. This has begun to work itself out as the vendors formalized the process and produced more uniforms. The different shades variances are authorized."
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

abdsp51

That notice was put out when the AF went to the ABU as there were maj variances in the material.  Now you really cant tell the difference.

Jester

It helps to get them in person and match coats to trousers in terms of shade. Then I mark both with a corresponding number in sharpie.

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on May 07, 2016, 11:28:49 PM
It helps to get them in person and match coats to trousers in terms of shade. Then I mark both with a corresponding number in sharpie.

That's what I do.  But the shade memo came about when the ABU was first rolled out and there were major shade variations across the board, and was there to keep the uniform nazi's at bay.  Hell a couple months ago I had to pull out one of my older sets of ABUs to wear and was frantic because I couldn't find a matching hat for it (which I did and then learned that day that I could have worn my RABU hat grrr).

Anyway, there will always be some degree or variance in camo uniforms especially the ABU.  Since the latest and greatest variance is on the shelves and has been for the last 3-4 years the variances have shrunk but are still there. 

Jester

Back when that uniform first came out, my unit was one of the first to get them issued before deployment. I got a heads up about the difference in shade from other guys and got a chance to lay all my stuff out to get my four sets matching tops and bottoms.

They still didn't fade evenly. I dug mine out when this new letter came out and salvaged maybe 2 sets out of 5. The rest are trashed after a few deployments and who knows how much field time.

Oddly the nametapes all faded markedly more which I don't get since they're the same fabric. Again it may have been an issue with the first generation, like the shade difference and the map pockets everybody cut out.  They were also super long, like maybe 10-12" of extra fabric in the trouser length.

I've noticed it's not as bad with the RABU.

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on May 08, 2016, 01:11:01 AM
Back when that uniform first came out, my unit was one of the first to get them issued before deployment. I got a heads up about the difference in shade from other guys and got a chance to lay all my stuff out to get my four sets matching tops and bottoms.

They still didn't fade evenly. I dug mine out when this new letter came out and salvaged maybe 2 sets out of 5. The rest are trashed after a few deployments and who knows how much field time.

Oddly the nametapes all faded markedly more which I don't get since they're the same fabric. Again it may have been an issue with the first generation, like the shade difference and the map pockets everybody cut out.  They were also super long, like maybe 10-12" of extra fabric in the trouser length.

I've noticed it's not as bad with the RABU.

It's not since the the contractor has had enough time to figure it out.  I have 8 sets of the first gen ABUs and like 5 of the RABU.  The first gen isn't all that bad cept when it came to matching them up initially and i guess I got lucky on the fading part. 

Either way I expect to see some maj variances when we start wearing them in Jun due to a vast majority of surplus ABUS are probably that first gen batch.

LTC Don

There are still significant differences between the DSCP and the aftermarket Propper branded ABUs.  Buyer beware, especially if doing the eBay thing.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

PHall

There are some small differences between the "regular" ABU's and the Ripstop RABU's too.
Mostly due to the fabric thickness IMHO.

SAREXinNY

Quote from: LTC Don on May 09, 2016, 02:51:16 PM
There are still significant differences between the DSCP and the aftermarket Propper branded ABUs.  Buyer beware, especially if doing the eBay thing.

Can you explain these differences? I would prefer to spend a little more for something that would last me a while, rather than something that will fade after a dozen washes.

lordmonar

Quote from: SAREXinNY on May 11, 2016, 11:35:06 PM
Quote from: LTC Don on May 09, 2016, 02:51:16 PM

Can you explain these differences? I would prefer to spend a little more for something that would last me a while, rather than something that will fade after a dozen washes.
No difference....the DSCPs are Propper.

It is just that the USAF does not run the same QC as it did with the BDUs and ODs.   So from time to time there is a difference between fabric runs.   It is not so bad now....but it was in the early days of the ABU.

AAFES or direct from Propper....you should be good.   You do run the risk of getting the pants in one shade and the shirt in the other if you are buying online.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LTC Don

I have two sets of DSCP and two sets of Propper.  There are distinct color differences between the two.  Point being, buying separate pieces (trousers or blouses) of DSCP branded and Propper branded ABUs most likely will not match color-wise.
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

majdomke

Good luck buying from AAFES. I called and was told CAP is no longer allowed to order over the phone or online. Confirmed with a manager. Made no sense but arguing with them just went no where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abdsp51

Quote from: majdomke on May 13, 2016, 06:54:29 AM
Good luck buying from AAFES. I called and was told CAP is no longer allowed to order over the phone or online. Confirmed with a manager. Made no sense but arguing with them just went no where.

CAP has never been authorized to buy from AAFES online.  And they stopped doing phone orders IIRC within the last year or two.  There are plenty of sources outside of AAFES for ABUs.

majdomke

I bought through AAFES online in July of last year. Even their website says we're allowed to. When you try to register now it says only people with full exchange privileges are allowed to order online, except ROTC, CAP and some other group. I can copy/paste here if you'd like.

supertigerCH

LTC Don

Visited our local base last weekend and made a stop at AAFES.  All they had in stock (and plenty of it) was the RABU, to the tune of about $80 a set for top and bottom.  Hats were just shy of $6, DSCP tan t-shirts were right at $9 pack of three, and the DSCP tan nylon rigger-type belts were just shy of $6 also.  They had the procured Raine brand of rigger-type belts at about $8.

In a completely unsolicited conversation with the quite cordial lady at the register, she stated they had all of their ABU (twill) boxed up and ready to deliver to CAP when asked (the gist being, "I wish CAP would come get this stuff out of my storeroom.")  So, MCSS staff are apparently on board, and are happy to get rid of the ABU twill stuff since the RABU is the apparent new preferred standard (and admittedly, it is a nice looking material, at least when new).

As always, since the sizing from the BDU to ABU is different (size range in BDU to size specific in the ABU), trying on prior to purchasing is crucial for good sizing selection.
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

majdomke

And of course us folks in hot environments don't want twill but will end up getting them. Be prepared for lots of heat related injuries due to overheated cadets in these "winter-weight" styled uniforms. I'd prefer a vochure system to either order from AAFES online or at the base so we can pick what works for us rather than getting hot uniforms that are just going to sit in supply because no one will want them. I'm only speaking from our squadrons experience. It was 104 degrees yesterday. We have tons of twill BDUs sitting in supply now that no one will take.

majdomke

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 13, 2016, 07:14:36 AM
CAP has never been authorized to buy from AAFES online.  And they stopped doing phone orders IIRC within the last year or two.  There are plenty of sources outside of AAFES for ABUs.
Simply not true for ordering online. I've done it numerous times in the past after they set me up in the system. I just ordered my ABUs online at Kel-Lac uniforms which sits right off base at Lackland. They even do some nice modifications with regard to pocket sew down or Velcro. I wish they carried CAP insignias and tapes because they would sew those on too.

lordmonar

Quote from: majdomke on June 04, 2016, 05:45:31 PM
And of course us folks in hot environments don't want twill but will end up getting them. Be prepared for lots of heat related injuries due to overheated cadets in these "winter-weight" styled uniforms. I'd prefer a vochure system to either order from AAFES online or at the base so we can pick what works for us rather than getting hot uniforms that are just going to sit in supply because no one will want them. I'm only speaking from our squadrons experience. It was 104 degrees yesterday. We have tons of twill BDUs sitting in supply now that no one will take.
If you don't want them....then don't ask your wing for the them. 

Here is an example of looking the gift horse in the mouth.

The USAF has a bunch of free uniforms.....that are perfectly serviceable....but no one wants to buy.   They offer them to us.....but no....that's not good enough.

Makes you wonder why they even bother some times.   :(
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP