How Soon Will We see This New Style?

Started by etodd, April 05, 2016, 06:48:05 PM

etodd

What will the Cadet CAP version be?

QuoteThe Army has granted Capt. Singh, a Sikh, permission to serve while wearing a turban over his long hair and a beard with his uniform.
He is the first active duty soldier to be given such permission, according to The Sikh Coalition, the largest Sikh American advocacy organization in the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/04/us/sikh-army-captain-simratpal-singh-beard-turban/index.html
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

CAP has a process to request a waiver for religious accommodation with the corporate uniforms when necessary,
which would generally only be for cadets, as beards are already allowed (for adults), and headgear is not required / specified.

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

CAP also has a process to ask the USAF for waivers to the USAF-style uniform, through CAP channels and then USAF channels.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

THRAWN

Gadzooks, this is still in the news? I've seen waivers a few times. It takes a bit of patience, but it usually ends up mutually beneficial.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: etodd on April 05, 2016, 06:48:05 PM
What will the Cadet CAP version be?

QuoteThe Army has granted Capt. Singh, a Sikh, permission to serve while wearing a turban over his long hair and a beard with his uniform.
He is the first active duty soldier to be given such permission, according to The Sikh Coalition, the largest Sikh American advocacy organization in the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/04/us/sikh-army-captain-simratpal-singh-beard-turban/index.html

Not true. It is good to see that he is allowed to continue to serve. The Army invested a lot to train him.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, IIRC, there's been at least 2 others?

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 05, 2016, 08:34:52 PM
Yea, IIRC, there's been at least 2 others?

I haven't looked closely, but perhaps the distinction is Regular vs. Reserve commission or something like that. He may be the first Regular officer to receive such a waiver on a permanent basis. I dunno.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

^ From the above.

Second Lieutenant Tejdeep Singh Rattan, US Army dentist in 2010. (Dude's a pretty hardcore dentist!)

The earth has, apparently, continued to spin despite the non-standard head-covering.

Wondering - is the "gas mask issue" a legit concern or a red herring?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Also, is it just me, or would a gas attack on our troops anywhere pretty much result in an overwhelming retaliatory strike?

Storm Chaser

The concerns regarding the beard had to do with being able to wear a gas mask safely. The turban could also affect the ability to wear a gas mask and helmet. Those may still be valid concerns.

USACAP

I have no problem with it. Good for him.
We like Sikhs anyway.

So - Yep.
PPE not sealing/fitting is a pretty big concern.
The Army has plenty of soldiers who, for one reason or another, are non-deployable.
If you can't wear PPE, you're non-deployable.
As a dentist or professional, he doesn't necessarily need to.

CPT Singh, in the original picture, has a Ranger tab and a bunch of other hero badges.
Clearly, he's done alright for himself - in a deployed environment too since I see a CAB.
How does the Indian Army manage the matter of a good seal on PPE?
Not a problem I have ever had to deal with under my command.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 05, 2016, 09:42:22 PM
Wondering - is the "gas mask issue" a legit concern or a red herring?

Spam

I have Muslim cadets, one of whom wears a head scarf (blue or black varying by the UOD, although she bought a woodland camo one too - hooah).

I have had cadets who wear the kippah (two of them are at USAFA now) and have another prospective recruit who is Orthodox.

Business as usual and complete acceptance here in the great state of Georgia.

.., Not a "thing".

V/R
Spam

abdsp51

There was a waiver granted for a Sikh Cadet in CAWG.

Eclipse

I have no issue as well, it certainly doesn't impact mission ability for CAP, nor is it anything but a random anomaly,
frankly I think those guys look bad-ass, and their reputation has always been as fierce and loyal fighters.

However with that said, any allowances made should be formally approved by whatever level is required, in writing,
and not allowed until that waiver or authorization is approved.

The problem comes during the first activity they attend outside the squadron.  You can't write checks for
other people, nor is it fair for that member, especially if it's a cadet, to be told he's breaking regs by someone he doesn't even know.   

Dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" and there should be no issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Sikhs have been serving in the military, especially the British military, for about 200+ years.
They are a very martial minded people.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: PHall on April 06, 2016, 03:32:11 AM
Sikhs have been serving in the military, especially the British military, for about 200+ years.
They are a very martial minded people.

Indeed...I had a Sikh Chief Technician (E-6) working with me years ago, deep in the Cold War when PPE was tested near monthly.

I gently and politely enquired...he smiled (very tolerantly), demonstrated and we moved on!

Like Eclipse said...dot the 'i', cross the 't' and all will be well!

Bryce7454

Hopefully this will lead to even more lax regulations for everyone.

lordmonar

Quote from: Bryce7454 on April 07, 2016, 01:42:49 AM
Hopefully this will lead to even more lax regulations for everyone.
How so?

CAP uses the same exact process as does the military.

If you want a religious exception to the reg....you request it through channels where it is give to the USAF for approval or denial.

Does not mean anything is lax.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP