BDU.com (Propper) BBDU

Started by Spaceman3750, March 09, 2011, 03:33:14 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 30, 2011, 03:41:28 AM
I just got a pair of Dark Navy BDUs. WOW, these are a LOT darker than the traditional CAP color I see. I really like them, but I think I'm going to return them because I don't feel like getting, um, "reminded" about the dark color at every turn.

Anyone with a clue in your wing is wearing the same brand, no one should be giving you any grief.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 30, 2011, 03:54:06 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 30, 2011, 03:41:28 AM
I just got a pair of Dark Navy BDUs. WOW, these are a LOT darker than the traditional CAP color I see. I really like them, but I think I'm going to return them because I don't feel like getting, um, "reminded" about the dark color at every turn.

Anyone with a clue in your wing is wearing the same brand, no one should be giving you any grief.

Same brand sure, but same color?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

BUMP

I was in a hurry and on a budget to get 2 sets of BBDU's for Encampment and went with the genuine gear (mostly because of the zipper fly not saving $3.00) Dark Navy BDU's from BDU.COM.  I also ordered a Propper Dark Navy Patrol Cap.  They just got here and the are very dark.  They are also just a touch darker than the Patrol Cap.  I placed a black T-Shirt next to them for comparison and up close you can see that they are blue but from a distance, no way.  They are now in the washing machine for the first of many washings tonight in hot water to try to fade them just a touch.

I also placed them next to my Navy Blue Tru-Spec Utility Uniform (non Nomex flight suit) and you can see the difference.

Regardless of the outcome, they are what I will be wearing!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

Why bother trying to fade them? You're just wearing out the fabric prematurely. If they're dark, so be it.

FWIW, 'real' Navy blue, like my olde uniforms, is almost black. In some cases you need to put the uniform item in sunlight against something truly black to see the difference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

So...I didn't screw up? From the years in CAP that I saw BBDUs, they seemed lighter than what I got from BDU.com.

I was lazy, missed the return window. Guess I'll take a pick with the tapes on the uniform for comparison, but they look DARK!

SarDragon

I think they are darker now than they used to be. Mine are Proppers from '95 or so, and they are distinctly blue, in most lighting conditions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

You're going to ruin them for no reason.  Blue is blue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 16, 2011, 12:10:08 AM
You're going to ruin them for no reason.  Blue is blue.

I'll just print out the page from BDU.com and carry it in the BBDUs when someone questions me on it.

SoCalMarine

OK, can I ask...

Why would someone choose the BBDU? I've looked at it, but generally they are much more costly because they are not as readily available used as BDUs. Also, on the topic of navy blue, I've seen navy blue ranks on VG. Are those the sew-ons for the navy blue flight suit?

SarDragon

Quote from: honolulugold on June 16, 2011, 03:27:16 AM
OK, can I ask...

Why would someone choose the BBDU? I've looked at it, but generally they are much more costly because they are not as readily available used as BDUs.

Some folks have no choice. We are not allowed to wear the regular BDUs.

QuoteAlso, on the topic of navy blue, I've seen navy blue ranks on VG. Are those the sew-ons for the navy blue flight suit?

Yes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: honolulugold on June 16, 2011, 03:27:16 AM
OK, can I ask...

Why would someone choose the BBDU? I've looked at it, but generally they are much more costly because they are not as readily available used as BDUs. Also, on the topic of navy blue, I've seen navy blue ranks on VG. Are those the sew-ons for the navy blue flight suit?

Blue fields uniforms are no more, or less "readily available" than Woodland Camo, and there is no price difference.

Some make the choice, some have no choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP4117

I'm really new at this, but I just ordered a pair of BBDUs from BDU.com, and I accidentally bought Propper pants and a Genuine shirt, both dark navy - they just arrived and there is a huge difference! Propper is quite a bit lighter than Genuine. I learned my lesson!

SoCalMarine

Quote from: Eclipse on June 16, 2011, 03:43:55 AM
Blue fields uniforms are no more, or less "readily available" than Woodland Camo, and there is no price difference.

Really? Where are you guys finding them used? The only reason I said that they cost more is because I was only finding them new and the BDUs used.

So, there's no real reason other than personal choice? OK. Just wondered a bit at the purpose and so on. Thank you.

p.s. I just sent you a PM.

davidsinn

Quote from: honolulugold on June 16, 2011, 03:49:04 AM

Really? Where are you guys finding them used? The only reason I said that they cost more is because I was only finding them new and the BDUs used.

So, there's no real reason other than personal choice? OK. Just wondered a bit at the purpose and so on. Thank you.

Over weight and bearded members have no choice in the matter. They must wear a BBDU instead of the BDU.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cap235629

4 washes later and they are a bit lighter.  you still can't tell until you place a black t-shirt with them but it will do!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Got it.

I've never bought anything used - all my field uniforms, whatever flavor, have come from BDU.com or the local Propper retail store (I have bought a few
factory seconds from there).  When you have 37-inch arms and a 36-inch inseam, you're not finding much in the DRMO pile.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Emphasis Mine.

Some members are outside of the Air Force based CAP weight limits, therefore are not allowed to wear Blues or BDUs. This is why we have options like the Greys and the BBDU.

SoCalMarine

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 16, 2011, 04:45:30 AM
Some members are outside of the Air Force based CAP weight limits, therefore are not allowed to wear Blues or BDUs. This is why we have options like the Greys and the BBDU.

Yeah didn't dawn on me at first, but I got that from you and one or two of the other posts. Let me tell you, after having lived in GA for eight months I've put on nearly 30lbs. Its either too freaking hot to PT, or they fry EVERYTHING here. Good God I'm going to have an heart attack!

I have a question while we're at it... does CAP have the semi-formal dress blues like the AF? Essentially the dress coat with no cover?

Eclipse

Quote from: honolulugold on June 16, 2011, 05:16:05 AM
I have a question while we're at it... does CAP have the semi-formal dress blues like the AF? Essentially the dress coat with no cover?

Only for cadets, with a bow tie and no nameplate.

The senior semi-formal is the blue blazer with a dress shirt, bow tie, no nameplate, and your highest medal, it actually looks pretty sharp.

"That Others May Zoom"