BDU.com (Propper) BBDU

Started by Spaceman3750, March 09, 2011, 03:33:14 PM

Spaceman3750

Is the Dark Navy BBDU that BDU.com sells the correct color for CAP purposes? I'm making the switch to BBDUs and I want to make sure I've got it right before I order.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 09, 2011, 03:33:14 PM
Is the Dark Navy BBDU that BDU.com sells the correct color for CAP purposes? I'm making the switch to BBDUs and I want to make sure I've got it right before I order.

That's what I wear and it's a heck of a uniform. Holds it's color very well.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

The dark navy ones I saw looked really dark when paired with CAP insignia... You could say they were too dark.  I think it would matter if intend to wear the BDU cap or Field Jacket that is likely just navy blue.  I had a similar problem when I bought some dark navy Under Armour Tactical t-shirts to wear with my ODUs...  they turned out to be too dark, almost black in comparison to the "CG Blue".
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: MIKE on March 09, 2011, 04:14:12 PM
The dark navy ones I saw looked really dark when paired with CAP insignia... You could say they were too dark.  I think it would matter if intend to wear the BDU cap or Field Jacket that is likely just navy blue.  I had a similar problem when I bought some dark navy Under Armour Tactical t-shirts to wear with my ODUs...  they turned out to be too dark, almost black in comparison to the "CG Blue".

It's actually not a problem. I wear a BDU cap and a field jacket over it and they match just fine although the hat is starting to get faded. Granted the bright blue insignia looks goofy on it but what can you do?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

The Blue Field Uniform from BDU.com is sharp, holds its color and looks great against nametapes, especially cloth.

The color is a rich blue that looks more professional and crisp than whatever VG is selling, even if you abuse it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

vento

I wear the Dark Navy BDU from Propper and I've compared it by standing next to another member wearing the BBDU from VG. The color from Propper is equivalent to the one sold by VG, but it looks better. It is also very close to what The Hock used to sell. (Note the BBDU from the Hock was actually lighter blue than what VG sells)

SarDragon

I got my BBDUs from Vanguard. They were the Propper brand. Does that make them different because I got them there? Inferior? Substandard? Just wondering.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Not something you could easily tell from photos, but you certainly had less choice of fabrics, and might have paid a few bucks more.

Edit: Changed the BDU.COM shirt from "Genuine" to "Propper" versions and made the images smaller to show them side x side.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The upper pic is not Propper brand, which it what the thread, and my question are about.

My shirt is darker than either one shown in your pics, but that could be due to a lot of variables.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

I must say, the top blouse looks much better than the bottom one, though I don't think either one looks very good with ultramarine blue nametapes.

HGjunkie

Quote from: SarDragon on March 09, 2011, 10:38:48 PM
The upper pic is not Propper brand, which it what the thread, and my question are about.

Unless i'm mistaken, the tag sticking up has the Propper logo on it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

I fixed the above photos to show "Propper" instead of "Genuine" on BDU.com's site.

Between lighting, potential image editing, and the issue of VG apparently not owning an iron, that isn't even a hint of a good comparison,
and there is no way to tell from the pics if VG is even selling Propper shirts anymore (or they might be but that isn't what is shown, could an old pic).

But I will say that the shade differential is typical between my blue field uniforms and others I have seen, especially when not cared for properly.

Also, the Propper's on BDU.com are actually a bit more expensive than whatever VG is selling, but again, you have about 4-5 different choices
on BDU.com, you have one on VG.

If they are selling the same thing, then it doesn't make much difference where you buy them, and if you're ordering other stuff it might
be more convenient  to get them at VG, but to the original question - yes what BDU.com sells is more than acceptable, and their stuff is
high quality with good customer service.

I own and wear a lot of stuff from them, including daily wear of their TAC pants, shorts, and I wear the TAC.U coat as a light jacket (rocks, love the sleeve pockets) - I have never had a single issue with their sales, service, or quality.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad2-4

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 09, 2011, 10:48:35 PM
... I don't think either one looks very good with ultramarine blue nametapes.
I don't think ultramarine blue tapes and rank look "good" on any CAP uniform.

Hawk200

Quote from: Dad2-4 on March 10, 2011, 04:33:57 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 09, 2011, 10:48:35 PM
... I don't think either one looks very good with ultramarine blue nametapes.
I don't think ultramarine blue tapes and rank look "good" on any CAP uniform.
Second.

Slim

I would be skeptical of the "Genuine" line by Propper.  I have a set of the dark navy BBDUs, and they are quite obviously darker.  That dark navy is also called LAPD blue, and is almost black.   I got them through a guy in my squadron who used to own a public safety uniform store, figured they'd fade a little, and not look too bad.  Nope, those things are just as dark navy now as they were the day I got them, thanks to the 65/35 poly/cotton blend.  Compared to the two sets of navy blue Propper BDUs I have, they're still quite a bit darker.  I don't wear them much because I got sick of constantly being questioned about my black BDUs.

I bought my last two sets here.  Propper brand, proper shade, and I have no complaints about the service or quality of them.  Spend a little more and get the 65/35 poly/cotton blend, you won't be disappointed.  My two sets are a year old, and still look brand new.

Slim

davidsinn

Quote from: Slim on March 10, 2011, 06:06:59 AM
I would be skeptical of the "Genuine" line by Propper.  I have a set of the dark navy BBDUs, and they are quite obviously darker.  That dark navy is also called LAPD blue, and is almost black.   I got them through a guy in my squadron who used to own a public safety uniform store, figured they'd fade a little, and not look too bad.  Nope, those things are just as dark navy now as they were the day I got them, thanks to the 65/35 poly/cotton blend.  Compared to the two sets of navy blue Propper BDUs I have, they're still quite a bit darker.  I don't wear them much because I got sick of constantly being questioned about my black BDUs.

I bought my last two sets here.  Propper brand, proper shade, and I have no complaints about the service or quality of them.  Spend a little more and get the 65/35 poly/cotton blend, you won't be disappointed.  My two sets are a year old, and still look brand new.

BDU.com does differentiate between Dark Navy and LAPD blue. All you have to do is order the correct color.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arBar

There are 5 shades of blue made by Propper, and the same color on 2 uniforms can look a bit different from each other depending on the fabric:
Blue, Cobalt Blue, Navy Blue, Dark Navy Blue, and LAPD Navy Blue.

Fortunately not every uniform is available in every color, so its best to pick your fabric then choose the darkblue that's available.  I got Dark Navy Blue in Battle Rip 65/35 PolyCotton (below). 

Noting that 39-1 and the KB used the terms "dark blue" and "navy blue" I contacted them for clarification if "dark navy blue" was ok, but they only told me to read the uniform manual.  I responded again and was then referred to NHQ to talk to the uniform expert who told me that this was fine.

http://bdu.com/propper-poly-cotton-ripstop-bdu-coats?tab=0&sid=1:655:0,5:0:0&sq=1

Eclipse

This thread had reminded me that I needed some tac pants for an upcoming trip.
I chose 2 pairs of their new(ish) lightweight tactical pants.

Order placed:  3/9/2011 11:35:13 AM
Order shipped: 03/10/2011 07:07 AM
Order received: 03/11/2011 (late PM, wasn't home)

Standard shipping of $4.99.

This has been my ongoing experience with bdu.com.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I just got a pair of Dark Navy BDUs. WOW, these are a LOT darker than the traditional CAP color I see. I really like them, but I think I'm going to return them because I don't feel like getting, um, "reminded" about the dark color at every turn.