Main Menu

BDU Can o' Worms

Started by Sapper168, February 11, 2011, 08:20:17 PM

Sapper168

Here is a thought, neither right nor wrong, just a thought. 

After the BDU phase out date for the Air Force the BDU will no longer be an authorized uniform for wear.  We could at that point petition to remove from the BDU  the label of 'Air force style' uniform and let all members wear it. 

It sure would bring about more uniformity in appearence.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

jeders

Do a search for dead horse and beating, and you'll find our thoughts on this.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Plus look at how 'easy' or 'hard' finding BDU pieces that are of the proper specification, (read: Made to a uniform standard) vs. whatever else is out there and how easy it used to be to get them. It's easier to get BBDU stuff now because it's got many uses beyond the military, but almost no one uses woodland cammo for anything and likely either CAP or the Young Marines will be the last, closest to anything, military related organization wearing them.

RiverAux

I proposed that very idea several years ago, but no one seemed to like it. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

The only part of the military I know of still wearing BDU's are a very small segment of the Coast Guard.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

HGjunkie

Quote from: CyBorg on February 11, 2011, 09:18:04 PM
The only part of the military I know of still wearing BDU's are a very small segment of the Coast Guard.
I see Navy guys wearing them around my local AFB every so often.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SARDOC

Quote from: HGjunkie on February 11, 2011, 09:26:39 PM

That's either because they are SEABEE's or just haven't been issued the NWU's yet

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SARDOC on February 11, 2011, 10:05:51 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on February 11, 2011, 09:26:39 PM

That's either because they are SEABEE's or just haven't been issued the NWU's yet

I saw an O-6 wearing one at Great Lakes...

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 11, 2011, 10:28:56 PM
I saw an O-6 wearing one at Great Lakes...

O-6's basically do what they want, because outside of someone with stars on their shoulders, who's going to tell them not to?

Most of the Sailors I've seen, if not wearing "crackerjacks" or some other sort of dress-type uniform, have been wearing the blue working uniform.  I haven't yet seen anyone wearing the new Navy camouflage.

The Royal Australian Navy has an interesting mostly-grey camouflage...maybe the "grey only" zealots in CAP would like it... >:D

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

HGjunkie

Speaking of the NWU, there were a lot of navy guys wearing them at MacDill today.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

NWU is getting pretty universal here in the SD area, but I think this was one of the test areas, so they've been here longer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Great Lakes is NWU and NSU all the way, that what you see on 90+ percent of everyone up there, with a scattering of BDU here and there, and then of course ABU/ACU/MARPAT depending on service.

I don't believe they issue the denims to recruits anymore, and there are no longer BDU's in the NAVEx's, except for the occasional close-out sale, etc.
Last year sometime they pulled the last of the USAF blues they had - some of those enlisted jackets had hung dusty and untouched for years.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I can see where the Navy is going with the NWU, having now worn both versions of the Coast Guard ODU... The solid blue color is a magnet for dirt, especially here in New England during winter with all the salt and sand... I don't remember my CAP BDUs getting this bad just stepping out of the car, but I never wore the Field Uniform.

I would like a soft cap that is easier to stow in the trouser pockets than the ball cap, and can more easily take cloth insignia.  Have seen pics ADM Papp wear testing a blue utility cover when he was down for DWH.

Sleeve pockets, I like the Marine style ones on the NWU... Mostly for looks, but it would mean small pockets for my phone etc, that are easier to access than my belt or trouser pockets with the UODU.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on February 13, 2011, 04:08:31 PMMostly for looks, but it would mean small pockets for my phone etc, that are easier to access than my belt or trouser pockets with the UODU.
I will say that's the nice thing about the ACU. Sleeve pockets are great for a phone, sunglasses, and a notepad/pen.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 13, 2011, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: MIKE on February 13, 2011, 04:08:31 PMMostly for looks, but it would mean small pockets for my phone etc, that are easier to access than my belt or trouser pockets with the UODU.
I will say that's the nice thing about the ACU. Sleeve pockets are great for a phone, sunglasses, and a notepad/pen.

There are about a million pluses about the ACU, the pockets (all of them), the boots are extremely comfortable and easy to maintain, the material is comfortable, and the cut of the uniform is very comfortable. I think that is why some Airmen on some Army installations wear them, or an ABU pattern on an ACU cut uniform. I have seen it many times at Ft. Campbell. True, both patterns of "camouflage" are hideous, but hey, at least the Army got the feel of the uniform right. I would prefer the ACU to the ABU, but we all know (or we all better know) this is the USAF Aux, not the USA Aux, so the ACU is out of the question. But now we have the issue of when the phase in will start for us with the ABU. We already know that the ABU will be authorized for us, but when and with what alterations is the question. This question has been hit so many times lets not [insert picture of beating a dead horse here]. Just let it ride, and it will happen when it happens.

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2011, 05:33:18 AM
I don't believe they issue the denims to recruits anymore, and there are no longer BDU's in the NAVEx's, except for the occasional close-out sale, etc.
Last year sometime they pulled the last of the USAF blues they had - some of those enlisted jackets had hung dusty and untouched for years.

Denims frequently Called Dungarees haven't been issued since like 96-97...They went to a similar colored uniform but not actually denim...almost the same as the Coast Guard in cut and material.  All those started getting phased out before the NWU was introduced.

BGNightfall

The old denim utilities went out quite a while ago and were replaced by a poly/cotton blend for the trousers, similar to Dickies, or various other kinds of service sector uniforms.  Unfortunately they were not very durable and tended to wear out quickly.  The chambray shirt was similar, but around the time the denim dungarees went out, so too did stenciled name and rate on the shirt. 

And so ends an unnecessary sidetrack.

For the OP, I would personally like to stay as close to the Air Force as possible with our uniforms, even if that does mean adopting their (in my opinion misguided) working uniform.   Honestly, adopting one camouflage uniform is about as ridiculous as adopting any other, for our mission purposes, but we are also a civilian arm of the Air Force, and our attire should reflect that.  That would also be a good time to clean up our uniform's appearance to cut down on some of the clutter, and maybe even our uniform regulation as well! 

Ltc Browne

Personally, I think the CAP should go to wearing the blue fatigue uniform.  I was never in favor of the BDU's.  When you are on a search mission, you want to be visable, and BDU's prevent that. 

As far as the uniform for search and rescue, it should be a Orange Shirt, with the Paramedic type trousers, the one's with multiple pockets. 

CA Wing uses a simular uniform for their SAR Missions.  I have one myself.  The only thing not on it is the rank insignia.  I don't wear that uniform because I am in GA Wing, though living in VA.

Hawk200

Quote from: Ltc Browne on February 26, 2011, 03:42:12 PMPersonally, I think the CAP should go to wearing the blue fatigue uniform.
Blue fatigues when out with green ones, I doubt you'd even find any of those at all these days, except in maybe an Air Force Transient Alert museum.

Quote from: Ltc Browne on February 26, 2011, 03:42:12 PMI was never in favor of the BDU's.  When you are on a search mission, you want to be visable, and BDU's prevent that.
Then you're doing something wrong. There's a requirement for an orange vest when you're in the field. "I can't be seen in BDUs" is a failed argument. If you don't have the vest, you shouldn't be out on a search in the first place.

Quote from: Ltc Browne on February 26, 2011, 03:42:12 PMAs far as the uniform for search and rescue, it should be a Orange Shirt, with the Paramedic type trousers, the one's with multiple pockets. 

CA Wing uses a simular uniform for their SAR Missions.  I have one myself.  The only thing not on it is the rank insignia.
The "CalTrans" ground team uniform. I remember those. I can understand a single style orange shirt to wear in place of a standard BDU top, I even advocated such a thing, but it needs to be a standardized shirt not a hodge podge of orange shades. In California, I remember seeing six different types of orange shirt (in varying shades of orange) during the Northridge quake relief efforts. Not really all that uniform.

We don't need paramedic pants. Much of the public is familiar with them, and it would imply that CAP is something it is not. That could create problems. With just a shirt, it avoids problems with where the uniform is authorized. There would be problems with a whole uniform being worn at regular meetings where it wouldn't be needed. Someone always shows off that they have something when they don't need to do so. There were people in Cali that regularly wore the "CalTrans" uniform to meetings, commanders calls, encampments and were regularly counseled that it wasn't authorized, but they did it anyway.

arBar

Don't forget that lots of state defense forces wear the woodland camo bdu.  As long as there is a demand for it, someone will make it.