Main Menu

BDU maitenance

Started by AngelWings, January 27, 2011, 12:38:37 PM

Cadet Airman First Class

In the regs they say don't starch BDUs because it leaves starch in the uniform and it fades them.
C/A1C

niferous

Quote from: Cadet Basic Airman Cutler on February 25, 2011, 04:26:49 PM
In the regs they say don't starch BDUs because it leaves starch in the uniform and it fades them.

It says that in CAPR 39-1?  I just did a search in the entire pdf and I could not find it anywhere.  It does say that AF style uniforms should be pressed.

QuoteCHAPTER 2 – USAF-STYLE UNIFORMS (SENIOR MEMBERS AND CADETS)
2-1. General Information. This chapter prescribes men's and women's service, dress, battle dress
uniform, flight suit, sweaters, outergarments, caps, and appearance. Uniforms must be clean, neat and
correct in design and specifications, fitted properly, pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed,
worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth).
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

AngelWings

Welcome to CAP Talk! The regs, has in CAPM-39-1, doesn't make jurisdictions over starch. People have mixed feelings about it and will try to say different, but overall it is a personal choice to use starch or not. I've stated the starch doesn't fade if you spray and iron your BDU's inside out, which has worked for my tops. The label says not to, and if you were in combat (which CAP gets none of), you wouldn't starch or even iron them. It makes your uniforms look better, has long has you use it correctly. Don't make up reg's or assume things, it just leads to un-needed arguements over nothing.

Spaceman3750

It's worth pointing out that CAPM 39-1 is still designated as a manual, not regulation. That doesn't make it any less regulatory, but saying CAPR 39-1 is incorrect (I'll bet I've done it a couple of times over the last few weeks).

SarDragon

And what is CAPM 19-1? I've never seen that one the whole time I've been in CAP, and my 47th anniversary of joining was last Saturday.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

As mentioned above, CAP makes no comment about starch.  If other services want to prohibit its use, fine, but not relevant to CAP,
except in the context that even in services where it is prohibited, many members starch them anyway.

Starch doesn't reduce the integrity of material, but it can make some fabrics more IR reactive, as do some detergents, which is a
serious issue for combatants in the field, but again, not relevant to CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on February 25, 2011, 09:52:38 PM
And what is CAPM 19-1? I've never seen that one the whole time I've been in CAP, and my 47th anniversary of joining was last Saturday.
It is such an easy thing to remember but its spelling always eludes people :) Thanks, just fixed it.

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on February 25, 2011, 10:50:07 PM
It is such an easy thing to remember but it's it is spelling always eludes people :) Thanks, just fixed it.

Need to fix that, too.  ;)

Pick one:

It is such an easy thing to remember but it is (or it's) spelling that always eludes people.

It is such an easy thing to remember but its spelling always eludes people.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on February 25, 2011, 11:44:46 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on February 25, 2011, 10:50:07 PM
It is such an easy thing to remember but it's it is spelling always eludes people :) Thanks, just fixed it.

Need to fix that, too.  ;)

Pick one:

It is such an easy thing to remember but it is (or it's) spelling that always eludes people.

It is such an easy thing to remember but its spelling always eludes people.
Ah, I'm multi-tasking, building a B-17 Flying Fortress and being on here when I get mad at the fact I can't get things to work the way the directions say it should work. ;)

Eclipse

Is that you on the left?

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2011, 03:15:48 AM
Is that you on the left?

Yes sir! The guy on the right scares me. :-\
I'm still working on the model, at 1 in the morning.