Main Menu

BDU maitenance

Started by AngelWings, January 27, 2011, 12:38:37 PM

AngelWings

We all have little tricks on keeping our BDU's looking perfect. Why not share some good tips?
My tip is to iron inside-out if you starch. Stops that weird shine that develops.

Hawk200

I don't starch BDUs. It's a working uniform. If I feel like being fancy, I'll give it a light ironing.

If you want to look pretty, wear blues.

AngelWings

I don't want to look pretty, I just want to be wrinkle-free and have sharp creases on my sleeves when I wear my BDU's. I'm talking about keeping things looking right, like thread-removal, blousing, and such. I've been taught that way by my squadron and a sad personal experience of having someone glue on a patch(I did want it to be sewed on) sideways.

DC

Quote from: Littleguy on January 27, 2011, 01:07:47 PM
I don't want to look pretty, I just want to be wrinkle-free and have sharp creases on my sleeves when I wear my BDU's. I'm talking about keeping things looking right, like thread-removal, blousing, and such. I've been taught that way by my squadron and a sad personal experience of having someone glue on a patch(I did want it to be sewed on) sideways.
Sharp creases = trying to look pretty

Iron them, make sure your patches are on right, keep loose strings clipped and shine your boots. That's all you really need to do; like Hawk200 said, BDUs are a WORK uniform.

MICT1362

Are creases necessary, not really.  BDU's is a working uniform, but that doesn't mean that your uniform should be full of wrinkles, that your pockets should have folded corners and the like.  So do us all a favor and take care of them.

A good way to keep from having the button ring on the pocket flags is to take a dark colored wash cloth.  Get it damp, and place it over the top of the pocket flap.  Then iron the wash cloth.  The heat transfers through and does a great job!  I also know some people who took a piece of carboard, and cut button sized holes in it, and placed under the flap for a flat ironing surface.

If you will burn your strings, instead of clipping them, they wont come back.  At least not from the same starting thread.  You are going to get them regardless.

Tacking the bottom corners of pockets down with a couple of stitches allows them to remain functional, but keeps them looking sleek.  I know some people who have gone to the extreme and cut the side flaps out of the pockets and had them sewn straight down.  Then there was no wrinkled pocket, ever...

-Paramedic

AngelWings

Hey, I'm not trying to look pretty. Even if I do look that good, still. It just come naturally! Joking, joking.
Creases are not neccesary, but they sure do make you look sharp, and they don't get in the way of functionality. It is more of a personal preference than anything, one of the rare things that are not shunned down upon.

Thanks MICT1362 for the tips. I've actually tried sewing some folded corners on the pocket, and pocket flap. But that was on a set of red camouflage BDU's that I use has guinea pig for anything insane or new to me. The other tips are great idea's too.

Sapper168

Coming from a old Army vet i will just say this, its true in CAP as it is in the Army, While the BDU is a 'work' uniform, it is still a military uniform and as such should present a military appearance.  If it is faded, threadbare, ripped, torn, stained or ill fitting it is replaced precisely because of appearance.  A neat and crisp uniform is a sign of disipline.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

AngelWings

I'm happy to see someone who thinks the way I do about the uniform :) . I always do my absolute best pressing  and creasing the BDU and polishing the boots, after I inspect everything for any damage. I've gone has far has to get a High and Tight haircut like the military style.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 27, 2011, 09:14:39 PM
Coming from a old Army vet i will just say this, its true in CAP as it is in the Army, While the BDU is a 'work' uniform, it is still a military uniform and as such should present a military appearance.  If it is faded, threadbare, ripped, torn, stained or ill fitting it is replaced precisely because of appearance.  A neat and crisp uniform is a sign of disipline.
+1

If your uniform looks bad, you look bad. If you look bad, your unit looks bad. If your unit looks bad, your commander looks bad.

I am embarrassed when I am in public in a uniform with someone who is not wearing their uniform properly, ironed and with a haircut that is out of Reg. Take some pride in your uniform and wear it right. Take an hour a week to iron your uniform shine your boots and get a haircut when it is time, ie touching your ears or your collar or when it is long enough on top to poke out the front. And ladies, keep your hair up as you are supposed to, pony tails are against regulation.

AngelWings

I spend about 2 hours on uniform care a week. Mostly ironing and shining.
recommendation: polish in a ventelated room, unless you want to wind up in the hospital because a little bit of dried blood came from your mouth, like me. Also, be smart about what you use for polishing. Don't do what I did before and set a bunch of cotton balls on fire because I accidently moved one too close to a open flame.
Tip's: Iron at full heat
Iron and polish while having some music or talk-show playing in the backround
Keep a small kit of uniform repair items and polishing( like shoe polish or tooth paste for shining your metal insignia) at your meeting place just in case
Cut out a piece of cardboard the size of your patrol cap's top, and place it in so your patrol cap stands up
In your field jacket or Gore-Tex, keep an extra patrol cap or black watch cap just in case your primary headwear is wet
Own 2 extra sets of blousing bands if your like me and lose them whenever you touch them
Remove the "geek" button AKA top button on the blouse
Keep electronic's in the cargo pocket
Have keep a pencil and pen on you at all times no matter what.

Hawk200

Ironing a uniform is one thing, but I've seen (and seen advocated) some serious extremes that are completely unnecessary. A uniform that can stand up by itself serves no legitimate purpose whatsoever. All it does say is "LOOK AT ME!"

I've seen people that have done things to make the uniform "pretty." There are loads of pretty people that are completely worthless outside of a poster.

You can iron your uniform. You can put polish on your boots. But it can be taken too far. A pretty uniform doesn't really say much about you other than you know how to look good.

I spend about an hour tops on my uniforms. I pull it out of the dryer and iron it. I put polish on my boots, which takes about twenty minutes. The uniform is de-stringed when I first get it, and I get other ones as they occur. I don't starch or put forms in my hat (although it is occasionally washed by hand, formed, and allowed to dry).

A heavily starched uniform should not mean more than one that has just been ironed. It is designed to work in. That's it. Clean, dry, serviceable, pressed, worn properly. That's all you need. Too many people utilize their fancy duds as a boast. It doesn't benefit anyone.

If I ran a ground team, the guy with the fancy duds stays at mission base. I've heard too many complaints when someone got a spot on their uniform, and you'd think the mission was going to fail to hear them tell it. That and most of the pretty ones have spent so much on the uniform, that they're always lacking some kind of gear.

a2capt

Quote from: Littleguy on January 28, 2011, 04:30:12 AMRemove the "geek" button AKA top button on the blouse
Technically considered a modification, and ...  well... may be noticed in the eyes of some.  We don't button it, but .. it is there.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Littleguy on January 27, 2011, 12:38:37 PM
We all have little tricks on keeping our BDU's looking perfect. Why not share some good tips?
My tip is to iron inside-out if you starch. Stops that weird shine that develops.

I would mix starch and water in a spray bottle, soak the fabric and then place a piece of t-shirt fabric on top of the BDUs and iron on top of the t-shirt. This took care of the sheen. (It also, after a short while, made for a seriously stiff t-shirt fragment!)

This way lets you form the pockets, which would be difficult if ironing on the inside of the fabric.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: a2capt on January 28, 2011, 05:50:41 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on January 28, 2011, 04:30:12 AMRemove the "geek" button AKA top button on the blouse
Technically considered a modification, and ...  well... may be noticed in the eyes of some.  We don't button it, but .. it is there.
I've done the same thing on every set of BDUs I've ever owned, in the Army, the Air Force, and CAP, over the last twenty two years. A total of three people noticed, two of them followed my example. The third didn't care.

It's actually a practical thing to do, and doesn't present any readily notable change. Doing it to look good is a fail. You don't use it, no reason to have it if you don't want it.

The person that notices and makes an issue of it is on the same side of the coin as the others mentioned. They're stuck on being pretty, too. That's not beneficial to an organization that's trying to be mission ready.

Sapper168

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 28, 2011, 05:48:36 AM
A heavily starched uniform should not mean more than one that has just been ironed. It is designed to work in. That's it. Clean, dry, serviceable, pressed, worn properly. That's all you need. Too many people utilize their fancy duds as a boast. It doesn't benefit anyone.

If I ran a ground team, the guy with the fancy duds stays at mission base. I've heard too many complaints when someone got a spot on their uniform, and you'd think the mission was going to fail to hear them tell it. That and most of the pretty ones have spent so much on the uniform, that they're always lacking some kind of gear.

While in the military i had seperate BDU's for field use and for normal wear. The field BDU's were servicible but not 'crisp and neat' unlike the BDU's worn during the normal work day.

Yes it is about a certain look, a professional look.  CAP just like the modern military has a fair amount of public relations attached to it. The uniform is the very first thing involved in that as it is the first thing people see. 

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

AngelWings

To clear something up. No, I'm not trying to look pretty. I however want my uniform to look its best, and if it gets dirty, well it gets dirty, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. Also, those little things like creasing, mirror shining, being wrinkle free, make everyone look better, believe it or not. I have the type of creases on my "parade top" that stand up. My rip-stop uniform is just well pressed and very lightly starched, just to give it a good appearence. My step-dad, who was in the USAF told me about how they always had one perfect set of greens, and one regular set of greens. They kept the perfect greens ready so they could pas a uniform inspection. I do the same basically. At meetings, I wear my perfect set (just in case of any uniform inspections) and when we are going out doing something involving parades or low-key stuff, I wearmy perfect set. But if we are going to have any interaction with the ground or dirt, well my regular set is on. It is better that way. I get some attention for having those type of crease's that stand up well from a lot of people after I got out of a parade. Good times. I certainly hope that I'm not garnering bad attention because I want my uniform to look perfect.

J.American

Message removed.
C/2d LT Ricketts
SER-AL-087

PHall

I wore BDU's for 20 years in the Air Force and Air Force Reserve. (And fatigues before that.) Never once starched them. Never got called on my uniform either.
All I ever did was iron them with heat and steam only.

AngelWings

I use heavy starch just because it helps keep my top wrinkle free when I sit in cars (even though most of the time I just hang it up on the back-seat hanger.

a2capt

You should not have brought up cap storage. ;)

niferous

When I was in the Army it was pretty customary that everyone got their BDUs starched out at the local dry cleaners.  At Ft Gordon the on-post one was actually very good so it was nice to be able to use their service.  I think we would spend something like $2.25 when I first got in the Army and around $4 when I got out. 

For those who have said their was no purpose, well I agree, it serves no "purpose".  However it was generally shown as a sign of good discipline that you took care of uniform beyond what the minimum was.  The BDUs were supposed to be a wash and wear item however starching them was allowed.  So by starching your BDUs and shining your boots it was a sign that you were a soldier who took care and went further in his soldiering the minimum requirement.  Plus the majority thought that it looked good and sharp. 
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Hawk200

Quote from: niferous on January 31, 2011, 06:24:29 PMHowever it was generally shown as a sign of good discipline that you took care of uniform beyond what the minimum was.  The BDUs were supposed to be a wash and wear item however starching them was allowed.  So by starching your BDUs and shining your boots it was a sign that you were a soldier who took care and went further in his soldiering the minimum requirement.  Plus the majority thought that it looked good and sharp.
Yeah, I've heard "It's a sign of discipline" before. And I always ask "How is it a sign of discipline?" I've gotten the same answer that boils down to "it's over and above minimum."

The problem is that the "disicpline" perceived is a complete falsehood. A uniform that's been starch dipped, and flat pressed (including the wrinkles that are pressed into the clothing) suppposedly looks "better" than one that a person presses at home. Which is a sign of better discipline? To me, it's the guy/gal that presses their own uniforms, and shines their own boots with the intention of looking neat, taking the time to do something. It's not the person that spends money to get all that done, for whatever reason, just so people can look at them saying they look good. Appearance is not an indicator of job performance.

manfredvonrichthofen

I would have to agree that sending your uniform off to be done is not an indicator of anything other than you would rather spend money than time.

I always ironed my uniform, and always polished my boots myself. I was asked quite a few times by SNCO's and Officers where I got my uniform pressed, and my response was that I don't get them done, I do them myself. It always won me a day off or what have you for having the best uniform, and showing the best decorum and discipline. Taking the time to do something as simple as ironing or polishing would always get you better results than having them done on an "assembly line". Take the time to do these things yourself, it isn't hard, takes maybe an hour a week and your boots will last you a long time, and your uniform will last longer than having them pressed at a cleaners.

niferous

I'm not saying taking it to the cleaners is a sign of more discipline, I'm saying having it pressed in general is.  Rather you do it yourself of or not is inconsequental. 

I forgot to mention that some guys would sew all the pockets down on there BDUs including the flap.  Then they would use fishing string to add permenant creases.  Then you can just wash them and dry them and when they get out of the dryer they look like they got pressed and don't need starch.  The downside of course being that they couldn't use their pockets anymore.  However they usually wouldn't wear their BDUs in the field that they did this to.  I've never done it but my wife did it to her's when she was in the Air Force.  Now she is in the Air Guard and they have the new ABUs and don't have to. 

Stroke

Whether you like it or not, agree or disagree, or can't see the discipline in ironing your uniform, you are missing the point.  The point is your uniform needs to be per 39-1 1-2 "...present a professional, well-groomed appearance, which will reflect credit upon CAP as the auxiliary of the United States Air Force."  If that means a light starch, hot press, and shoe shine, you are within the manual so long as it reflects credit upon CAP as the auxiliary of the USAF.  If that means a heavy professional starch, more ironing, and a 3 hours high gloss shoe shine, you are again within the manual to do so with the same stipulations. 

To take it a step further, you will find in AFI 36-2903 1.3.1.3, "Uniforms will be neat, clean, pressed, buttoned, and properly maintained."  I only reference the AFI because our manual says that we are to 'reflect credit' as the auxiliary of the USAF.  The above is what the USAF expects of its members for general uniform appearance. 

Like I said, if you want heavy starch or a light ironing, that's alright; as long as we as a collective organization reflect that credit upon CAP as the auxiliary of the USAF.
Humble - Credible - Approachable

Mustang

Quote from: Littleguy on January 28, 2011, 04:30:12 AM

Just curious, how much time do you spend each week making yourself a better/more knowledgeable/more informed/more competent leader? How are your grades in school?  How physically fit are you? These are the things that truly matter, not how sharp your creases are. 

May I respectfully suggest that when you only WEAR the uniform 2 hours a week, spending 2 hours getting it ready is wayyyy too much.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

niferous

Well I think two hours is a lot of time myself.  I shined my boots tonight as we have a color guard practice tomorrow and I spent about twenty minutes doing so.  As you can see in the pic getting boots shined doesn't take hours and hours like a lot of people think, just the right technique.  As for my BDUs I took them to the cleaners about a week ago.  I wore them last Tuesday for the meeting and I'll wear them tomorrow and probably for our meeting on Tuesday.  I pay something like $5 and some change to get them done and if I get three or four wears out of them then I'd say that's about one or two ironings I don't have to to do.  If I spend twenty or thirty mins ironing my BDUs that means one hour.  So is my time worth more than $5?  Yeah I think it is.  Plus I like the way I look and I get penty of people saying my uniform looks good including cadets.  So I think it's setting a good example for the cadets too which is important.  Taking time to give yourself a profesional military look, to me, is important. 

If you can see yourself taking the picture in the boots I'd say it's pretty good even for twenty minutes. 

BTCS1*

[darn], those are nice! How'd you get them like that?
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

titanII

all this arguing about care of the BDU's is just one more thing that makes me want CAP to switch to the ABU's. You don't have to iron them or anything- ironing is actually supposed to be bad for them. They are just a lot less work. But I have read that they are heavier and hotter than the BDU's. Not to mention their god-awful (in my opinion) digital Tigerstripe camo. I like Tigerstripe and digital camo, but the Air Force did not do well to combine the two.
No longer active on CAP talk

niferous

Quote from: BTCS1* on February 05, 2011, 07:22:53 PM
[darn], those are nice! How'd you get them like that?

I'll probably take a video when we teach our cadets how to do this soon but for now I'll post one that's already out there and is the same method I use, for the most part. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1wmjv5O9o

The only "trick" I use is I get a small bowl of hot water and then I put it on a $5 candle warmer you can get at Walmart.  This is important as it will keep the water warm.  Cold water equals haze.  Follow this technique and polish small area.  Don't try to do the whole boot at the same time.  Do the area between the laces and the toe, then the outside of the heel, then the inside, then the laces, and finish out with the tip of the toe.  I used to use a white cotton t-shirt but I found it didn't work as well as using a Kiwi rag.  Oh and get a cheap tooth brush and before you polish anything make sure you get some polish on the soles and in the groove at the top of the sole.  If the boot is even a little dusty also make sure you use a damp wash cloth to get off any dust, dirt, etc before you do anything.

Also I would stay away from Kiwi Parade Gloss as well as it is prone to cracking and getting hazy. Don't melt your polish or anything like that.  It makes the polish and dye start to seperate and doesn't work as well. 

I'm probably forgetting something but for now that video and the above tips are a good start.  Use regular black Kiwi, use a Kiwi cloth, keep your water warm, and follow that technique. 

SarDragon

Using warm water does nothing extra, since it cools to the temperature of your finger and the rag. almost immediately.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Not implying anything at all, but it looks more like leather luster to me. The only reason I say this is because the whole boot shine reminded me of leather luster, and made me want to just say, DON"T USE LEATHER LUSTER! It will cause many problems with your boots. As will using Future.

niferous

If you use hot water like I said where you actually keep it hot, and not just warm, it helps.  I sure don't think it will hurt.  I have been told using hot water brings opens the pores so the oil can get in.   

As far as my boots they aren't leather lustered and I just buffed the toe with a boot brush to dull the finish and then re-polished them to show it's not.  Pictures attached.

I also have some boots beside them, in the first pic, that the toes and heels ARE done with Leather Luster and they are done RIGHT.  Ruin the boots?  Not if you do it right.  I wore the boots every day at work in the Army, then at the police academy, then working in law enforcement, and now sometimes at CAP.  I originally applied leather luster in March of 2002.  It's Febuary of 2011 and the boots still look fine, no problems, and I'm happy with the product.  I have also done whole shoes, boots, and my duty gear.  You have to do it right and I will admit that I was taught how to do it by the owner of Leather Luster.  If you take the time and do it right (it takes DAYS to do the foundation/first three coats) it can produce good results.  I know some say it "clogs the pores" and it may, but do patent leather shoes breathe??? Nope.  Also I want to note that I don't wear these boots to go out and tromp around in the field.  I wear them for working in the office, or just regular meetings.  There is a place for spit shined super nice or Leather Lustered boots and it's not in the field. 

Anyway just to show that my boots are shined with polish below are the pics.  The Leather Luster does produce results but heed my warning!  If you don't know what you're doing with it, are impatient, or are just looking to pour a magic bottle on your boots, don't use it.  If anyone wants me to, I guess I can make a youtube vid on doing Leather Luster right.  If you have used it and want it off your boots your have to use a gel type stain remover and spread it on the boots, then use a plastic paint scraper to get it off.  You'll have to do more than one coat of stain remover.  I have a pair of jungle boots I did with Leather Luster and just recently removed so I could use them for field work.  I can post pics if you want.  Just stripped them to nothing, dyed with USMC black dye, conditioned, polished, now the leather looks new.

Leather Luster on left, Kiwi on right:

Buffed Up to dull the Kiwi:

Shined up close:

Whole boot:

manfredvonrichthofen

About the only time I would ever use leather luster would be on the toes and heels of jump boots because they don't get creases. That is where it can ruin your boots.

You didn't have to do that to your boots. I was simply saying the shine reminded me about leather luster. Also, if you don't care for the leather luster right, it will peel off and look really really really bad. But, if you do it right, and care for it right it will look great. The problem I have with leather luster is that to apply it correctly you have to strip the boots of their oils. All of their oils, otherwise it won't adhere to the boots right. Stripping the boots of their oils will degrade them faster. The use of kiwi is mainly to preserve the boot. The shine is an extra plus that is a desired one. But the primary purpose of the kiwi is to keep the boot oiled and to preserve it.

Mustang

Although yours look very nice, there's something comical about a spit-shined pair of jungle boots.

Just sayin'.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

SarDragon

^^^

Where's the Like button?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

My boots are kept well shined. I don't spend 2 hours polishing them (if I said 2 hours, I was talking about the whole uniform.) I do believe we should switch to the ABU's, too. We are the USAF Aux so why not look the part? I believe that we should use tan boots and sage green boots instead of just sage green boots.

AngelWings

Quote from: Mustang on February 04, 2011, 06:23:31 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on January 28, 2011, 04:30:12 AM

Just curious, how much time do you spend each week making yourself a better/more knowledgeable/more informed/more competent leader? How are your grades in school?  How physically fit are you? These are the things that truly matter, not how sharp your creases are. 

May I respectfully suggest that when you only WEAR the uniform 2 hours a week, spending 2 hours getting it ready is wayyyy too much.
No, I spread out what I do through the entire week. A little here, a little there, you get the picture. Lately I've been working on losing weight, and getting my push-ups and sit-ups better. Waiting on my mom to get a membership to the YMCA. My grades in school are all A's and B's, except for 1 very, very, very embarrasing F in Algerbra. But that subject is where a bulk of my time has gone to before I exercise. I saw that and almost lost it. Too much information probably but thought you'd like to know. I spend less time in the summer on uniforms and alot more on exercise, and doing fun activities like going to airshows :) . Going to go hit my push-ups and get on my treadmil!

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on February 08, 2011, 02:06:38 AM
My boots are kept well shined. I don't spend 2 hours polishing them (if I said 2 hours, I was talking about the whole uniform.) I do believe we should switch to the ABU's, too. We are the USAF Aux so why not look the part? I believe that we should use tan boots and sage green boots instead of just sage green boots.

Who's going to pay for all these new uniforms and boots? New = expensive. "Surplus" or DRMO items are not the answer. Most of that stuff is unserviceable. That's why it's where it is.

And where's the uniformity there?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on February 08, 2011, 02:17:39 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on February 08, 2011, 02:06:38 AM

Who's going to pay for all these new uniforms and boots? New = expensive. "Surplus" or DRMO items are not the answer. Most of that stuff is unserviceable. That's why it's where it is.

And where's the uniformity there?
The idea is the fact sage green boots, from what I've seen are alot more expensive than tan boots, and ABU's themselves offer a sense of uniformity because they are wash and wear, and it seems like this time, nobody is going to go against that. Also, I wasn't referring to a right now situation, but rather 2012-2013 time period, where they should start getting cheaper after the BDU phaseout.

Cadet Airman First Class

In the regs they say don't starch BDUs because it leaves starch in the uniform and it fades them.
C/A1C

niferous

Quote from: Cadet Basic Airman Cutler on February 25, 2011, 04:26:49 PM
In the regs they say don't starch BDUs because it leaves starch in the uniform and it fades them.

It says that in CAPR 39-1?  I just did a search in the entire pdf and I could not find it anywhere.  It does say that AF style uniforms should be pressed.

QuoteCHAPTER 2 – USAF-STYLE UNIFORMS (SENIOR MEMBERS AND CADETS)
2-1. General Information. This chapter prescribes men's and women's service, dress, battle dress
uniform, flight suit, sweaters, outergarments, caps, and appearance. Uniforms must be clean, neat and
correct in design and specifications, fitted properly, pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed,
worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth).

AngelWings

Welcome to CAP Talk! The regs, has in CAPM-39-1, doesn't make jurisdictions over starch. People have mixed feelings about it and will try to say different, but overall it is a personal choice to use starch or not. I've stated the starch doesn't fade if you spray and iron your BDU's inside out, which has worked for my tops. The label says not to, and if you were in combat (which CAP gets none of), you wouldn't starch or even iron them. It makes your uniforms look better, has long has you use it correctly. Don't make up reg's or assume things, it just leads to un-needed arguements over nothing.

Spaceman3750

It's worth pointing out that CAPM 39-1 is still designated as a manual, not regulation. That doesn't make it any less regulatory, but saying CAPR 39-1 is incorrect (I'll bet I've done it a couple of times over the last few weeks).

SarDragon

And what is CAPM 19-1? I've never seen that one the whole time I've been in CAP, and my 47th anniversary of joining was last Saturday.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

As mentioned above, CAP makes no comment about starch.  If other services want to prohibit its use, fine, but not relevant to CAP,
except in the context that even in services where it is prohibited, many members starch them anyway.

Starch doesn't reduce the integrity of material, but it can make some fabrics more IR reactive, as do some detergents, which is a
serious issue for combatants in the field, but again, not relevant to CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on February 25, 2011, 09:52:38 PM
And what is CAPM 19-1? I've never seen that one the whole time I've been in CAP, and my 47th anniversary of joining was last Saturday.
It is such an easy thing to remember but its spelling always eludes people :) Thanks, just fixed it.

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on February 25, 2011, 10:50:07 PM
It is such an easy thing to remember but it's it is spelling always eludes people :) Thanks, just fixed it.

Need to fix that, too.  ;)

Pick one:

It is such an easy thing to remember but it is (or it's) spelling that always eludes people.

It is such an easy thing to remember but its spelling always eludes people.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on February 25, 2011, 11:44:46 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on February 25, 2011, 10:50:07 PM
It is such an easy thing to remember but it's it is spelling always eludes people :) Thanks, just fixed it.

Need to fix that, too.  ;)

Pick one:

It is such an easy thing to remember but it is (or it's) spelling that always eludes people.

It is such an easy thing to remember but its spelling always eludes people.
Ah, I'm multi-tasking, building a B-17 Flying Fortress and being on here when I get mad at the fact I can't get things to work the way the directions say it should work. ;)

Eclipse

Is that you on the left?

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2011, 03:15:48 AM
Is that you on the left?

Yes sir! The guy on the right scares me. :-\
I'm still working on the model, at 1 in the morning.