If I were Wing Commander my top priority would be....

Started by RiverAux, December 20, 2009, 11:19:50 PM

dwb

I would load up my staff with cronies and yes men, and immediately begin to parlay my influence on the NB into a cushy national-level slot.  8)

flyguy06

Quote from: dwb on December 21, 2009, 04:31:30 PM
I would load up my staff with cronies and yes men, and immediately begin to parlay my influence on the NB into a cushy national-level slot.  8)

I know you're kidding but I have seen that for some people that is really a big deal to them to be on the National staff? why? You dont get any more money. you are away from the actual day to day fun stuff in CAP. What is the lure to be a national level volunteer?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 21, 2009, 07:37:28 PM

I know you're kidding but I have seen that for some people that is really a big deal to them to be on the National staff? why? You dont get any more money. you are away from the actual day to day fun stuff in CAP. What is the lure to be a national level volunteer?

Something to brag about at your upcoming high school reunion? Gotta outmatch that Gunny Colonel somehow!

lordmonar

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 21, 2009, 07:37:28 PMI know you're kidding but I have seen that for some people that is really a big deal to them to be on the National staff? why? You dont get any more money. you are away from the actual day to day fun stuff in CAP. What is the lure to be a national level volunteer?
How about the opportunity to make changes for the better?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Quote from: flynd94 on December 21, 2009, 05:42:43 AM
I would still like to be an active participant, considering the time I put into CAP.  When you hit your head up against the brickwall enough, you give up

Been there, close to doing that, too with respect to ES. Sensationalized closing traffic that reflects differently than the actual events and featured in the Volunteer magazine, no less.

Enough.

FW

Quote from: lordmonar on December 21, 2009, 07:56:06 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 21, 2009, 07:37:28 PMI know you're kidding but I have seen that for some people that is really a big deal to them to be on the National staff? why? You don't get any more money. you are away from the actual day to day fun stuff in CAP. What is the lure to be a national level volunteer?
How about the opportunity to make changes for the better?

Who said you don't deal with the fun of CAP anymore.  There is nothing that stops a national officer from performing any mission.  I've done O'Flights, worked at missions bases, done CD work, etc.  I've had lots of "fun".  It's the work as a national officer which was a bit on the dull side.... except for the travel, meeting new friends and, of course, making a difference.  8)

dwb

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 21, 2009, 07:37:28 PMI know you're kidding but I have seen that for some people that is really a big deal to them to be on the National staff? why? You dont get any more money. you are away from the actual day to day fun stuff in CAP. What is the lure to be a national level volunteer?
Power, of course.  And influence.

National-level advisors have an opportunity to not only shape policy, but also influence how the current and up-and-coming corporate leaders think.  That kind of access, wielded responsibly, could be of great benefit to the organization.

To use the distinguished Ned as an example, he not only has the ear of the CAP/CC, but he's present when CAP's governing bodies are deliberating.  Lucky for us, he also has a very firm grasp on the "big picture" of cadet programs, and he has the right experience and temperament to represent CP well.

---

I actually have no desire to be a Wing CC, or a national-level advisor for that matter.  To play the game of this thread, if I did happen to be Wing CC, my first internal focus would be on securing state funding for CAP operations, and my first focus as a corporate officer would be to create an external study group to review our Constitution, Bylaws, and corporate governance structure, and make recommendations to change it.

Chappie

Having now served at all levels of CAP...I can't speak of the lure to be a national level volunteer.  In my experience it just happened over time...didn't seek it out but when the opportunities were affored to participate in a project or serve in a position, I didn't pass it up.  While it is true that at the squadron level you get to do fun day-to-day stuff, at the Wing, Region, and National levels I have found that I am involved in determining policies or participatining in events that have year-to-year implications for our membership -- sometimes even further out than that.   

As for what I would do if I were a Wing Commander, I would select an outstanding Wing Chaplain...but then again, that is just me  ;)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

flyguy06

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 21, 2009, 07:40:53 PM

Something to brag about at your upcoming high school reunion? Gotta outmatch that Gunny Colonel somehow!

lol. A CAP friend of mine told me something similar to that.

SarDragon

Retention.

We already recruit enough members each year to grow about 5% a year. But, we don't keep them around.

I can't find my SM numbers, but on the cadet side, we have a 50% turnover every year. That's right, half of our cadet membership has been in the organization less than a year. The SM numbers are better, but on the whole, if we kept as few as half the new folks every year, we wold still grow.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on December 21, 2009, 11:23:58 PM
Retention.

We already recruit enough members each year to grow about 5% a year. But, we don't keep them around.

I can't find my SM numbers, but on the cadet side, we have a 50% turnover every year. That's right, half of our cadet membership has been in the organization less than a year. The SM numbers are better, but on the whole, if we kept as few as half the new folks every year, we wold still grow.

To be honest with you and Iknow people arent gonna like this statement but I have talked to cadets. Many cadets leave before their first year or dont renew because the programis not what they thought it was going to be. A lot of young people join CAP becaue they want that military "in your face" type stuff. but then when they see how watered down it is "you cant yell" "you cant do push ups" "you cant do this" "you cant do that" that leave. i know folks dont like that but that is what i am being told.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 21, 2009, 11:29:13 PMMany cadets leave before their first year or dont renew because the programis not what they thought it was going to be.

Then the failure is at the first recruiting contact, or during those initial contact meetings at the unit, not with the organization itself.

This is akin to the "come and fly for free" offers still being made by commanders at Air Shows, etc.

Better to be honest and not have them join, then snow them and have them quit.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Understandable......but I don't think we need to change our polcies based on those feelings.

I know there are a lot of cadets (and Senior Members) who would just love that......but there is too much chance for abuse and we would loose just as many cadets because "they were yelling at me all the time".

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2009, 11:38:17 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 21, 2009, 11:29:13 PMMany cadets leave before their first year or dont renew because the programis not what they thought it was going to be.

Then the failure is at the first recruiting contact, or during those initial contact meetings at the unit, not with the organization itself.

This is akin to the "come and fly for free" offers still being made by commanders at Air Shows, etc.

Better to be honest and not have them join, then snow them and have them quit.

I agree with you. be honest and up front at the beginning.

flyguy06

Quote from: lordmonar on December 21, 2009, 11:39:30 PM
Understandable......but I don't think we need to change our polcies based on those feelings.

I know there are a lot of cadets (and Senior Members) who would just love that......but there is too much chance for abuse and we would loose just as many cadets because "they were yelling at me all the time".

If you teach cadets how to discipline you wont have those issues. I think thats how the hole hazing stuff started. We as cadet programs senios just sat back and let cadets do what they wanted how they wanted. we said "Its their program, let them run it" We didnt train them effectiely and it went amuck.

So I dont think you'd have the "they are yelling at me all the time" because they wouldnt be yelling at them all the time. there is a time a place for everything and we should have been more vigilant in teaching our cadets that. But its a mute point now because the policies are in place and there is nothing we can do abou tit but go by them which is what I do.

But I think young people will continue to join groups like the USACC or Young marines because that isthe type of organization that they are seeking. This is what I am told. I dont know for sure though.

lordmonar

That is true....but if they want that....let them go there to get it.  I have no problem giving up a perspective cadet to other organisation that better fit their wants and needs.

We need to focus on our program and ensure all our units are following and providing the program as it is spelled out in the regulations.

CAP_truth

To bad you come to a new wing (ILWG) and, told by the local squadron commander that your previous experience doesn't mean anything.  Your told you have to go to Chicago (and you live in the Scott AFB area, half a state away)  to take a F5/91 check ride, all on your own dime. 
[/quote]

ILWG CS and VC also live in you area why don't you fly up with them and do your 5/91 and then we will have a qualified person in the southern part of the state.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

CAP_truth

Seriously Recruiting, training of new and current members, recruiting, safety,recruiting, more training, and finally more recruiting. With recruiting of new members, then training them as well as the current members this will take the burden off of the members that are at every mission, at every meeting, and makes there outside of CAP a lot better.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Nolan Teel

Find a way to stop the bleeding of new members! 

After that keep it simple Recruit, Train and give the people in the field what they need to make the mission work!  If it takes away from that, then Im failing as the CC.

Short Field

Quote from: lordmonar on December 21, 2009, 11:39:30 PM

What makes people think that US military officer training programs are into having their cadets yell at other cadets?  CAP is NOT military basic training - if it was our cadets would bypass Basic and go straight to tech school.   

I have talked to prospective senior members at air shows and got really nervious as they get all excited about coming out and "teaching cadets about discipline and marching".  Especially when the prospective senior member had never been in the military.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640