Plane Carrying U.S., Mexico Border Officials Missing

Started by CAPPAO, September 17, 2008, 04:00:14 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPPAO on September 19, 2008, 01:08:52 AM
You're saying the purpose of CAP is to do work for the AF and they get the credit?

You were right on the first part.

Who gets the "credit" is not important.

Want credit?  Click here:  http://tinyurl.com/6bxwlb

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Rotorhead on September 18, 2008, 09:48:49 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 18, 2008, 04:43:10 PM
You people need to watch what you are writing on here.  Much of this is bad form.
You can't expect to keep it all sunshine and roses on a public forum. If you want to keep people from speaking their minds in public, then you need to make the board password-protected and keep it secured.

No excuse, people need to monitor more their words on here.  If loose lips sink ships, then from hence has gone down a full fleet.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 19, 2008, 02:24:09 AM
You people need to watch what you are writing on here.  Much of this is bad form.
You can't expect to keep it all sunshine and roses on a public forum. If you want to keep people from speaking their minds in public, then you need to make the board password-protected and keep it secured.

No excuse, people need to monitor more their words on here.  If loose lips sink ships, then from hence has gone down a full fleet.

It's a public forum Joe, if you think someone has posted something out of line then click that "Report to moderator" button and make your case to them.

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on September 19, 2008, 02:32:10 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 19, 2008, 02:24:09 AM

It's a public forum Joe, if you think someone has posted something out of line then click that "Report to moderator" button and make your case to them.

PHall,

I, nor any of us, should not have to "run to momma" to get people to monitor their own writings on here and prevent potential adverse effects.  Everyone here should be the steward of their own words and not bequeath unto CAP the negative inheritance of thoughtless posts.

All that should happen is one need remind a person in a tone as I have to "watch what one writes on here because much of it can be bad form."  If honorable, a person is honor bound to at least curb their written words infavor of more tempered thought...not bad temper.

Is that too much to ask?  If so, then there is little honor among threadsters here.  I think we all deserve to be treated with at least that honor and respect as CAP Officers and Cadets.  Am I wrong?  I should like to think we can do that as part of the core values of integrity and respect.  Unless those remain but "words," instead of application via action.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JayT

Quote from: DNall on September 19, 2008, 12:53:33 AM
Again, we are not an independent organization like the red cross or salvation army. We are an adjunct of the Air Force. We exist (in major part) to do work for which the AF gets the public relations credit. That is part of our purpose for being.

So let me see if I have this right.

You're saying the purpose of CAP is to do work for the AF and they get the credit?

Dude, if you think credit is that important, you're in the wrong line of work.

I haven't seen you say word one about the success of the operation, or that your heart goes out to the grieving familes. You're worried about CAP not getting quoted in some news article.

To me, this is another example of us wanting to have our cake and eat it to. Some of us want to be all hoorah about being part of the Air Force Team, but when it comes to getting our name in the paper, we're not happy with just 'The Air Force conducted the search.'

The wreck was found. The families got closure. Everyone went home in one form or another. Carry on.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CAPPAO

Sparky - As long as no one is profane, making a personal attack, or divulging classified information then there is no reason not to have a mature discussion about any topic of interest.

CAPPAO

Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2008, 01:53:24 AM

You were right on the first part.

Who gets the "credit" is not important.

Want credit?  Click here:  http://tinyurl.com/6bxwlb

Wow, what a funny guy you are. You crack me up.

CAPPAO

Quote from: JThemann on September 19, 2008, 04:11:49 AM
Quote from: DNall on September 19, 2008, 12:53:33 AM
Again, we are not an independent organization like the red cross or salvation army. We are an adjunct of the Air Force. We exist (in major part) to do work for which the AF gets the public relations credit. That is part of our purpose for being.

So let me see if I have this right.

Actually, I am in the absolute best line of work, which is publicizing the good works of CAP members. Unfortunately, my job os made harder by those in the organization who just don't get it, specifically; our funding is dependent on our reputation, our mission assignments are dependent on our reputation, our recruitment is dependent on our reputation, and a large part of our retention is dependent on our reputation. And...our reputation is solely managed by PAOs!

Dude, if you think credit is that important, you're in the wrong line of work.

I haven't seen you say word one about the success of the operation, or that your heart goes out to the grieving familes. You're worried about CAP not getting quoted in some news article.

To me, this is another example of us wanting to have our cake and eat it to. Some of us want to be all hoorah about being part of the Air Force Team, but when it comes to getting our name in the paper, we're not happy with just 'The Air Force conducted the search.'

The wreck was found. The families got closure. Everyone went home in one form or another. Carry on.

DNall

You can fix your quote box there, but whatever.

PA is a big deal, and our PAOs/MIOs by all means need to be out there in force pushing our image. However, the fact is AF conducted that search. It doesn't matter that the tool they used was CAP or a private contractor or some particular AF unit - it's all the AF, and that's how it should & does appear on the official record of involved agencies. However, that is a great opportunity to publicize a feel-good story about CAP. An MIO should have that waiting in a box ready to go when the opportunity presents itself.

I can tell you right now we're out doing all kinds of food/water/ice distribution in the wake of IKE & we're getting that special interest story in the media as well as a lot of new members volunteering next to us at those POD sites.

Eclipse

I would also counter that while Public Affairs is important, it does not equal our reputation where it is most important - with agency heads and liaisons who provide us the work.

We don't get missions from the Yellow Pages or classified ads

Mission tasking, especially local DR and similar work, comes from the relationships formed by Unit Commanders and ESO's with their local municipal/county/state officials and EMAs.

PA's primary importance is in making the general public aware of CAP for recruiting and general support, and hopefully to limit the explanatory conversations when we show up for the CAPAbilities meetings.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2008, 02:26:01 AM
Mission tasking, especially local DR and similar work, comes from the relationships formed by Unit Commanders and ESO's with their local municipal/county/state officials and EMAs.

And WG level for state, including legislative efforts; and national level with fed agencies... same sort of relationship building, and frankly best built thru practicing together like we'd want to fight together later.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on September 20, 2008, 02:52:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2008, 02:26:01 AM

And WG level for state, including legislative efforts; and national level with fed agencies... same sort of relationship building, and frankly best built thru practicing together like we'd want to fight together later.

Again, this was the crux of the 2007 Public Affairs Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.  It was too bad that the only thing people chose to talk about here was ridicule of the new tagline and general negativity (likely the result of the then latest scandal effecting CAP).

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

strength thru adversity my friend.

This isn't an interview with national new media. It's a free-for-all (within reason) discussion by/for CAP members, which some other people happen upon from time to time.