Main Menu

TV add

Started by NCRblues, April 10, 2012, 02:58:40 AM

NCRblues

What permissions would it take (from wing or above) to produce a TV add to go on something like public access TV (local) station? I.E. Photo releases from parents, wing/region/NHQ level permission? Things along those lines.

I looked up PAO regulations and they seem very open and gray.

I am not a PAO but this idea was brought up recently. Does anyone do this for their squadron?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

The permissions would be specific to the AOR.

A local spot would probably be a Group CC or PAO, something larger in viewing audience, Wing CC/PAO, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

"TV Ad" :)

..and the AOR, + 1 is what I'd expect. IE, the command at that level runs it up to theirs for CYA. But as long as you've got backing, you're covered.

Sgt. Fischer

I like your idea! but, that would take a lot of work, and you would have to get permission from the TV station. But, it could work!

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on April 26, 2012, 02:25:21 PM
I like your idea! but, that would take a lot of work, and you would have to get permission from the TV station. But, it could work!
See: ad council.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Pylon

Every TV and Radio station is required by law to have a specific person on staff who is the POC for PSAs (Public Service Announcements).  Every station will vary, but you'll have the most luck getting your PSA on the air for free if you can provide the station with exactly :30 and/or :60 spots, in the format they prefer, already produced.  Talk to the station's PSA contact and ask what length and format they prefer submissions in.  That will give you a good start before you end up working on something that doesn't fit into what the station can use or wants.

Occasionally, if you're really lucky, and the TV or radio station has down studio time and you are really good with public relations, you might get them to agree to produce a quick PSA spot for you in their studios.  Maybe.  But don't expect that as stations aren't required to help you produce it; just required to air some PSAs.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

bosshawk

And in my experience, between two and four in the morning.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RickRutledge

Quote from: Pylon on April 26, 2012, 03:30:12 PM
Every TV and Radio station is required by law to have a specific person on staff who is the POC for PSAs (Public Service Announcements).   

Occasionally, if you're really lucky, and the TV or radio station has down studio time and you are really good with public relations, you might get them to agree to produce a quick PSA spot for you in their studios.  Maybe.  But don't expect that as stations aren't required to help you produce it; just required to air some PSAs.

Not entirely accurate. Most of the time the stations have one person who will handle the public file and the rest ends up in the hands of the program director (in radio) or the News Director (in TV). There is no specific requirement for one person to handle both, you just have to be buttoned up if the FCC suits show up. Public files are where most stations get themselves into trouble.

BUT, there are :30 PSAs already produced and approved by the National CC and PA staffs. They were written, voiced and produced by me -- it's what I do for a living.

Find them HERE: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/multimedia_resources/videos/30-second-psas/

If you need help getting them in the hands of radio stations in your area, PM me. I'm a radio programmer/consultant by trade and I know a lot of people in the biz around the country (our industry is small), I'll do whatever I can to help you get them on the air.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Fubar

Quote from: RickRutledge on May 22, 2012, 05:46:13 AMFind them HERE: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/multimedia_resources/videos/30-second-psas/
This is the best promotional material CAP has. Why have I never heard it before?

Outstanding. I'm surprised NHQ hasn't gobbled you up and put you to work in the mines.

Danger

If you have local stations like I do, i don't thing it'd be too hard to have an entire program. Especially if you can get ahold of the right people.
"Never take anything too seriously."

krnlpanick

I just discovered this - http://www.capvolunteernow.com/multimedia_resources//

Someone got really happy with Adobe AfterEffects, but this is some good stuff, I would love to see that Cadet Programs PSA getting some airtime.
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

RickRutledge

Quote from: Fubar on May 23, 2012, 03:58:40 AM
Quote from: RickRutledge on May 22, 2012, 05:46:13 AMFind them HERE: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/multimedia_resources/videos/30-second-psas/
This is the best promotional material CAP has. Why have I never heard it before?

Outstanding. I'm surprised NHQ hasn't gobbled you up and put you to work in the mines.

They have. I must have transcribed or re-produced those PSAs at least 10 times to fit specific requirements for radio stations who agreed to air them. On the TV side of things, I'm working on a project to have 1080p spots produced with high res/quality graphics since the NHQ PA office is down to just a few people. The last guy to do multimedia production was RIF'd in last years budget cuts. Like I said before, I'm happy to do it as a long time member who does this stuff for a living. The hard part is to make the connection with the folks on the local media level and get this stuff on. If we had better national-level relationships with networks or with large scale media companies, we'd have this stuff on the air everywhere. It's all a work in progress and we'll get it there at some point, when I squeeze it into the dayjob, family, local/wing CAP duties and all the PD training I'm in the middle of now.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

A.Member

Quote from: RickRutledge on May 22, 2012, 05:46:13 AM
...BUT, there are :30 PSAs already produced and approved by the National CC and PA staffs. They were written, voiced and produced by me -- it's what I do for a living.

Find them HERE: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/multimedia_resources/videos/30-second-psas/

Glad you're here. Perhaps you can help:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15029.msg270664#msg270664

Also, note that 3 of the 6 available videos have dates in the graphics or referenced.  These may be acceptable now but will quickly make them dated.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Quote from: RickRutledge on October 23, 2012, 05:29:59 PMThe last guy to do multimedia production was RIF'd in last years budget cuts.

What needs to be done is a call to members to fill these roles - that's how CAP best displays its ROI, by using the skills of its amazing volunteers.

We should not be paying for this kind of thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

Back in the 90's I did a 30 sec and 60 sec spot for local TV. It didn't require CAP's permission. The 30 second was on SAR and the 60 sec was cadet programs. I shot and edited the video tape and got a member who worked in radio to do the voice over. Both are out of date now, but I'll look to see if I still have the video. (shot and edited on 3/4 inch tape)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

a2capt

Including the CMS behind the two web sites. SiteVis is a perfect example of a product who's designers just don't get it.

It's a Web 2.0 mess with Flash and crappy document delivery system rolled into one.

ProdigalJim

Quote from: RickRutledge on May 22, 2012, 05:46:13 AM
Quote from: Pylon on April 26, 2012, 03:30:12 PM
Every TV and Radio station is required by law to have a specific person on staff who is the POC for PSAs (Public Service Announcements).   

Not entirely accurate. Most of the time the stations have one person who will handle the public file and the rest ends up in the hands of the program director (in radio) or the News Director (in TV). There is no specific requirement for one person to handle both, you just have to be buttoned up if the FCC suits show up. Public files are where most stations get themselves into trouble.

BUT, there are :30 PSAs already produced and approved by the National CC and PA staffs. They were written, voiced and produced by me -- it's what I do for a living.

If you need help getting them in the hands of radio stations in your area, PM me. I'm a radio
programmer/consultant by trade and I know a lot of people in the biz around the country (our industry is
small), I'll do whatever I can to help you get them on the air.

Rick:

I saw those a few months ago and remarked to my wife that those were some of the best I've seen CAP ever do. I spent the first six years of my career in radio, and I can definitely appreciate when someone does a great job. Glad you're no longer anonymous...hearty congrats!

ProdigalJim
Alum of Park Broadcarting. Meredith Broadcasting, the once-independent American Broadcasting Corp., and Capital Cities/ABC
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Chief2009

GA Wing has a great one that I saw while I was flipping through channels.

I wish they'd share. :)
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284