Main Menu

Turnabout is fair play?

Started by RiverAux, June 09, 2011, 01:43:46 AM

RiverAux

A lot of folks here, probably including myself at some point or another, have proposed that the AF spend some time with new recruits and officers telling them about CAP.  I think this is probably a good idea, but it got me thinking ..... just what sort of education does the average CAP senior member get about the Air Force?  Shouldn't there be some sort of equivalent briefing for CAP members on the AF, its organization, missions, recent activities, etc? 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Excellent suggestion.

I keep a copy of AFI 10-2701 in my notebook, which outlines the connection between the USAF and CAP.

Every CAP member should be familiar with who SECAF, CSAF and CMSgtAF are and what their function is, and about the various commands, ACC, AMC, and especially AETC.

Also, the AF rank structure from General 0-9 down to Airman Basic E-1.

:clap:
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

GTCommando

^If you know our cadet grade structure, just take the C/ designation off and you've instantly memorized all but the General Officer grades!  :o ;D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

SarDragon

Funny that you should mention that.

When I rejoined CAP in Apr '87, I got a packet of materials including the following:
Welcome Letter from the National Commander (Harwell)
A safety letter
CAPM 50-1, Introduction to CAP
CAPM 39-1, Uniform Manual
CAPP 151, C&C
CAPP 150-series, Senior Member Handbook
    -1, Senior Member Training Program
    -2, SM CAP Orientation
    -3, An Aviation Organization, CAP
    -4, Introduction to Flight
    -5, CAP Emergency Services
Aerospace Doctrine (may be a leftover from becoming a SM in '69)

The last one is most relevant to the discussion, since it explains the AF's mission globally and nationally. Dry read, but informative.

So, CAP used to give this inf out to the new SMs, as a part of Level I.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on June 09, 2011, 01:43:46 AM
A lot of folks here, probably including myself at some point or another, have proposed that the AF spend some time with new recruits and officers telling them about CAP.  I think this is probably a good idea, but it got me thinking ..... just what sort of education does the average CAP senior member get about the Air Force?  Shouldn't there be some sort of equivalent briefing for CAP members on the AF, its organization, missions, recent activities, etc?
There used to be as part of Level I and ECI 13.

Don't know about now.

What do you supose the level of training and focus should be?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on June 09, 2011, 01:57:33 AM
Also, the AF rank structure from General 0-9 down to Airman Basic E-1.

:clap:
Why stop at Lieutenant General?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on June 09, 2011, 03:03:23 AM

My dim-as-a-five-watt-bulb senior moment.

I should have said O-10...I was thinking of the five-star rank of General of the Air Forces, which nobody has held other than Hap Arnold, and there aren't any five-stars anywhere in the Armed Forces (USMC and USCG don't have them anyway).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

nesagsar

Quote from: CyBorg on June 09, 2011, 03:21:07 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 09, 2011, 03:03:23 AM

My dim-as-a-five-watt-bulb senior moment.

I should have said O-10...I was thinking of the five-star rank of General of the Air Forces, which nobody has held other than Hap Arnold, and there aren't any five-stars anywhere in the Armed Forces (USMC and USCG don't have them anyway).

Your method would also exclude Command Chief Master Sergeant and Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force. There are no cadet equivalents to those grades.

coudano

I've actually been building a module for TLC specifically for leaders of cadets who don't have prior military experience, outlining the air force's enlisted force structure booklet, and then the officer levels as well,

to give an idea of how the military operates and why, particularly the different 'groupings' or breaks in duties and responsibilities between the various sets of ranks.  //and how those map to the 4 phases of the cadet program.

ZigZag911

Already a long time essential element of basic encampment curriculum, as well as Level 1 for seniors.

However, a good point; perhaps some reinforcement, particularly with seniors...something in RSC, NSC, at the very least.

Eclipse

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 09, 2011, 04:05:51 PM
Already a long time essential element of basic encampment curriculum, as well as Level 1 for seniors.

However, a good point; perhaps some reinforcement, particularly with seniors...something in RSC, NSC, at the very least.

Considering the small number of members that go to an RSC, and the statistically insignificant number that go to NSC that wouldn't help much,
not to mention that if you aren't finding out how the USAF works until you are at least a Captain, that is too late.

I would say that if it is deemed important, than it should be part of either Level I or SLS.

"That Others May Zoom"

nesagsar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 09, 2011, 04:13:38 PM

Considering the small number of members that go to an RSC, and the statistically insignificant number that go to NSC that wouldn't help much,
not to mention that if you aren't finding out how the USAF works until you are at least a Captain, that is too late.

I would say that if it is deemed important, than it should be part of either Level I or SLS.

Or OBC?

Eclipse

Agree, though the nuances may be lost in an online situation vs. a discussion environment.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: CyBorg on June 09, 2011, 03:21:07 PM

I use "Who was the only General of the Air Force?" as a trivia question for cadets.  Most don't get it.  I think that I stole it from Ned.  I also stole "what are the 7 uniformed services of the United States?" from him. 

RiverAux

I'm really thinking about it more for seniors than cadets as I figure the cadets have lots of opportunities to learn about the military through their career. 

Where is this in Level 1?  Beyond a paragraph on CAP-USAF in the foundations module, I don't see anything significant about the AF.

RADIOMAN015

Well remember we are the Civil Air Patrol so depending upon where one's unit is located the knowledge level would vary. 

HOWEVER, I think the best place to start is the af.mil  website at:
http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/index.asp
Read the various fact sheets starting from the top left and working your way down and across.  This should give you a very good idea about the current Air Force.

Also if you are on a military base or close to a base that provides support to your unit,  it's a good idea to review their website on a regular basis to get the latest news about their operation.   I noted awhile back that one of the security policeman on active duty got an award, he was surprised when I congratulated him while he was checking my ID card at the base entry point -- he was surprised an old AF retired guy actually knew about him (and remember this could have been a CAP member also congratulating him).

RM

ZigZag911

Perhaps each of the professional development courses: Level 1, OBC, SLS, CLC, RSC, NSC should have a level-appropriate segment on the USAF and its relationship with CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 09, 2011, 10:05:49 PMAlso if you are on a military base or close to a base that provides support to your unit,  it's a good idea to review their website on a regular basis to get the latest news about their operation.   I noted awhile back that one of the security policeman on active duty got an award, he was surprised when I congratulated him while he was checking my ID card at the base entry point -- he was surprised an old AF retired guy actually knew about him (and remember this could have been a CAP member also congratulating him).

Did you congratulate him before or after you complained about them?

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on June 10, 2011, 06:37:27 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 09, 2011, 10:05:49 PMAlso if you are on a military base or close to a base that provides support to your unit,  it's a good idea to review their website on a regular basis to get the latest news about their operation.   I noted awhile back that one of the security policeman on active duty got an award, he was surprised when I congratulated him while he was checking my ID card at the base entry point -- he was surprised an old AF retired guy actually knew about him (and remember this could have been a CAP member also congratulating him).

Did you congratulate him before or after you complained about them?
Why don't take the information as given as being helpful to those supported by military bases ???, rather than making snide comments, which you (and a few others on this list) seem to do to some posters >:( >:(.   I don't think you will find any posts by me complaining about our support base or military personnel in general.
RM 

JC004

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 09, 2011, 10:05:49 PM
Well remember we are the Civil Air Patrol so depending upon where one's unit is located the knowledge level would vary. 

Are these messages automated?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on June 11, 2011, 12:51:41 AM

In the future, I will formulate a separate thread/subject on what I mean by "Remember we are the Civil Air Patrol", and it is NOT derogatory towards the organization.
RM

abdsp51

I'm curious to know too if this was before or after your call to the CSF?

JC004

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 11, 2011, 12:55:06 AM
Quote from: JC004 on June 11, 2011, 12:51:41 AM

In the future, I will formulate a separate thread/subject on what I mean by "Remember we are the Civil Air Patrol", and it is NOT derogatory towards the organization.
RM

Even with my decade (plus) of experience in web/online marketing work, I failed to realize until now that they were automated, when I was blocking spammers on Twitter and realized the same pattern of using keywords, then tying in the spam message. 

For example, a Twitter spam message in response to trending topic "#MemorialDay" - "hey sign up to win a free #MemorialDay at...."

The creation of the name "Civil Air Patrol" and its use after WWII was never intended to build this giant wall of separation between the Civil Air Patrol and the International Air Patrol (U.S. Air Force).  "Civil" was common at that time in terms like "Civil Defense," but I find no evidence that it was ever meant to draw a massive separation from the military as you imply constantly.

CAP functions as the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, a volunteer group supporting the missions of the Air Force and performing missions outlined in its charter.  It is supposed to provide support to the Air Force and the Air Force is supposed to provide support to it.

It is, by law, PART of the Air Force and I am sorry that that annoys you.

I am sorry that you think that all the troubles come from people wearing Air Force blue.