Most active wing? "Best" wing?

Started by Dad2-4, November 19, 2010, 08:10:32 AM

FARRIER

Quote from: davidsinn on November 23, 2010, 05:46:28 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 23, 2010, 05:43:04 AM
Quote from: a2capt on November 22, 2010, 11:18:26 PM
Substitute "hurricane" with "earthquake", and 'cat' with 'Richter scale' .. sounds like California. Yet, visitors and newbies go running.

Of course, here in Illinois nobody cares about earthquakes though many of us know that if the New Madrid Fault shifts we're all toast.

I've read several articles recently that say the threat has been over stated. I have no clue if they're right. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Wasn't the last time it shifted was around 1840, changing direction of the Missippi slightly and wiping out a few islands on the river?

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

SarDragon

Quote from: FARRIER on November 23, 2010, 07:00:09 AMWasn't the last time it shifted was around 1840, changing direction of the Missippi slightly and wiping out a few islands on the river?

There has been a magnitude 5.5 event as recent as 1968, based on a 1974 article cited on the USGS site.

Here's a map showing the location of the recorded earthquakes, from 1900 to 2010, minimum magnitude 3, in a 4 degree by 4 degree area down by the hook in SE Missouri.

It's got some activity there, but not like in my neck of the woods. In a 2 degree by 2 degree area east of me (I live just SE of the 33 degree mark on the west edge), the current "jiggle count" is 131 in the last 168 hours. The count approached 2000 after the Easter and July 7 quakes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Heh, there is that too. When that Easter one hit, I had $4,000 worth of glass in my hands, on my back, on the floor. Loading a laser tube into it's support rings. The door slammed shut, stuff was wiggling and magazine piles sliding.. "now what.. do I do with this, and get the heck out of the garage?"

No sooner than, it quit.

I guess one could say that the CAWG territory is the "most Active wing" in that regard.

Earhart1971

Florida Wing: SEVERE GLOAT MODE

We just rocketed up 200 Cadets we have over 4,000 in Florida Wing now Cadets and Seniors almost evenly divided between Cadets and Seniors. I think the Cadet Program in Florida will reach 4000 Cadets in two years.

Florida Wing is the Largest Wing, and we are positioned to stay there for years to come, we are the Mother of CAP, just like SAC was the Mother of the Air Force. We talked about it years ago at Maxwell AFB, at a cocktail party, the Colonels and Air University Staff were laughing and nodding their heads.   

How are we doing it? The SECRET is.... sorry my battery is low on my lap top.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JohnKachenmeister

Florida's Secrets:

1.  We drive around looking for homeless people holding signs: "Will volunteer for food."

2.  We hang out at airports and offer pilots "Free flying."

3.  We hang out in bars and offer drunks "Free beer."

4.  Hey... it beats working as the door greeter at Wal-Mart!

5.  We used to have ACORN do our recruiting, but half the people they brought in didn't speak English and the other half were dead.
Another former CAP officer

BlueLakes1

Quote from: DBlair on November 20, 2010, 04:33:22 PM
Quote from: Sgt.Pain on November 20, 2010, 04:47:43 AM
I'd like to add another question to this thread without starting a new topic. What wing/squadron really is number 1 as far as size goes?

I believe there is a school squadron somewhere with a few hundred members. Other than that, here in FL we have a few units in the 100 member range, probably part of why FLWG has around 4,200 members. I'm sure some of the other "Super-Wings" probably have units of that size as well.

Anderson Preparatory Academy Cadet Squadron in Anderson, IN currently has 320 cadet members and 39 senior members.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

DBlair

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 25, 2010, 01:39:59 AM
Florida's Secrets:

1.  We drive around looking for homeless people holding signs: "Will volunteer for food."

2.  We hang out at airports and offer pilots "Free flying."

3.  We hang out in bars and offer drunks "Free beer."

4.  Hey... it beats working as the door greeter at Wal-Mart!

5.  We used to have ACORN do our recruiting, but half the people they brought in didn't speak English and the other half were dead.

LOL!
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander