First Encampment for Newbie

Started by etodd, March 28, 2016, 04:27:33 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 28, 2016, 04:40:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 28, 2016, 04:38:52 PM
at an age many some kids today aren't even allowed to walk to school by themselves.
I'm willing to bet it's a very small minority. Things aren't all that bad, kids still grow up, and still become adults.

Based purely on the number of cars in line every day at my sons' middle school, it's probably more then you'd think.
I'm not saying it's because of crime or safety concern, but more out of convenience and helicoptering.

I am frequently (still) surprised at how many in their peer groups haven't been away overnight, or do other activities
without / away from mom & dad.  Many can't swim, don't ride a bike, or do other things most of "us" considered normal,
because a lot of parents just don't want to "push".  It's kinda weird, actually.

With that said, I'm usually in that !@#$%! line, as much because they have eleventy-twelveteen other things to do
after school and every moment counts, but they have spent plenty of time away from home overnight with the BSA, school,
family, etc.  Shockingly, at least to date, not any of it based on a court order!

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 28, 2016, 04:46:50 PM
Shockingly, at least to date, not of it based on a court order!

I thought we weren't going to bring up my past!

LTC Don

Quote from: etodd on March 28, 2016, 03:30:18 PM
Quote from: LTC Don on March 28, 2016, 02:46:51 PM
AND --

Get him in the air.  Frequently.  Once 18, orientation flights cease.  Stupid rule, but there it is.

Since he is just starting at 17, he might stay a Cadet until 21 (permissible as long as he stays in school). As long as he progresses quickly enough, he could still possibly get some flight training as a Cadet before tuning 21 and aging out of Cadets.

Nope, cadet orientation flights are not available to cadets over the age of 18 with the only exception being milair o-flights.  The only option for cadets to fly after 18, outside of formal flight training, is to join aircrew as a Mission Scanner/Airborne Photographer (Observer might also be an option, can't remember).

Quote8-8.  Cadet Orientation Flights.
    The  Cadet  Orientation  Flight  Program's  primary  goal  is  to  introduce  youth to general aviation through hands-on orientation flights in single engine aircraft and gliders.
a. Eligibility.
   Cadets may fly as much as possible, but normally only five powered flights and five glider flights will be reimbursed.  More than one cadet may fly per sortie, depending upon the aircraft's capability. Cadets are authorized an unlimited number of backseat flights; they do not lose any  of  their  syllabus flights by observing another cadet's flight from the backseat.  The program is limited to current CAP  cadets  under  18  years  of  age.   However,  cadets  aged  18  and  older  may  participate  in  military  orientation flights.

Sorry for the thread diversion.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Eclipse

Quote from: LTC Don on March 28, 2016, 07:33:20 PMThe only option for cadets to fly after 18, outside of formal flight training, is to join aircrew as a Mission Scanner/Airborne Photographer (Observer might also be an option, can't remember).

Scanner and observer are both open to cadets, as is Mission Pilot (if they is one).

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 28, 2016, 07:47:57 PM
Quote from: LTC Don on March 28, 2016, 07:33:20 PMThe only option for cadets to fly after 18, outside of formal flight training, is to join aircrew as a Mission Scanner/Airborne Photographer (Observer might also be an option, can't remember).

Scanner and observer are both open to cadets, as is Mission Pilot (if they is one).

Also GIIEP operator.

SarDragon

AND --

Get him in the air.  Frequently.  Once 18, orientation flights cease.  Stupid rule, but there it is.

Since he is just starting at 17, he might stay a Cadet until 21 (permissible as long as he stays in school). As long as he progresses quickly enough, he could still possibly get some flight training as a Cadet before tuning 21 and aging out of Cadets.

Orientation flights and flight training are not the same.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LTC Don

Quote from: SarDragon on March 28, 2016, 07:50:13 PM
AND --

Orientation flights and flight training are not the same.

Correct, but the distinction between the two is, O-Flights are provided to cadets free of charge, and flight training is neither provided by CAP, nor necessarily free.  I hate to see cadets cheated out of their o-flights unnecessarily.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

SarDragon

Absolutely. My response was for etodd, not you.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Yep. Between 18 and 21 a Cadet can get primary flight training in the CAP plane at CAP member rates for the plane and low cost instruction. Hence his probability of staying a Cadet until he is 21. Maybe he can get his private by then. Then become a Senior Member and start paying for the plane to get his IFR, etc.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

lordmonar

Quote from: etodd on March 28, 2016, 09:21:09 PM
Yep. Between 18 and 21 a Cadet can get primary flight training in the CAP plane at CAP member rates for the plane and low cost instruction. Hence his probability of staying a Cadet until he is 21. Maybe he can get his private by then. Then become a Senior Member and start paying for the plane to get his IFR, etc.
Between 16 and 21.

The 18 age is just participation in ES.

An 16 year old cadet with a solo endorsement and CAPF 5 can "rent out" the CAP plane to do his solo training.
At 16 a cadet can also get Primary Flight Training by a CAP instructor in a CAP aircraft.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

etodd

Yep. I liked this page from the Knowledgebase. It not only talks of it, but encourages it. "Just Do It."

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/636/~/providing-flight-training-for-cap-cadets
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Finding willing instructors is the issue.  For most CFIs, a cadet-age student is their bread and butter, asking them to
provide that for free, especially considering the shrinkage of GA in general, is a pretty big ask, especially outside
a flight academy or similar.

"That Others May Zoom"

stitchmom

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 28, 2016, 04:40:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 28, 2016, 04:38:52 PM
at an age many some kids today aren't even allowed to walk to school by themselves.

I'm willing to bet it's a very small minority. Things aren't all that bad, kids still grow up, and still become adults.

I don't know.. I had a 17 year old who could not give me major street names when I asked for directions to his house.  He told me to "Turn on the street with a lot of trees." I was coming from a major state road where all of the shopping is on this side of town, it's a road you have to go down to get to his house. I'm not good with directions myself and get very stressed out when driving somewhere new, this even shocked me.