C/SrA Flight Sergeant?

Started by vesryn, August 10, 2013, 08:58:42 PM

vesryn

Do you think that C/SrA is too low of a rank to be a flight sergeant? My squadron is quite small, and the highest ranking cadet not already in staff is a C/SrA. Should we consider the C/SrA (who has already gone to basic encampment), or wait 8 weeks without a Flight Sergeant?
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

MIKE

I would prefer an NCO (ideally C/TSgt-C/MSgt).  You say that the C/SrA is the senior cadet not already on "staff" of a small squadron.  If you have NCOs and SNCOs in higher level positions.  I would bump them down to  the grade appropriate position before appointing an airman.  Guide or element leader would be a more appropriate role for a C/SrA.
Mike Johnston

HGjunkie

If a C/SrA can drill a flight well, I see no issue with it. Ideally an NCO should do it, but the assumption is they will be an NCO soon anyways.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Storm Chaser

I agree with the second post. Last year we were hurting for cadet officers and NCOs, but still had a pretty descent size squadron. We appointed a very sharp C/SrA to the position of Leadership Officer; what a mistake. The cadet was a great cadet and above his pears, but way over his head for this level of responsibility. Cadets should ideally be appointed to positions commensurable with their grade and experience.

That being said, sometimes you don't have much of a choice (other than leaving the position vacant; something that's not always appropriate or possible). When I was a cadet, we had a very large squadron that was hurting for officers and senior NCOs. We had senior NCOs in officer positions and airmen in NCO positions. Our First Sergeant was a C/A1C (something I probably wouldn't do on this day and age). Surprisingly, however, he did pretty good as far as I can remember. He was an older cadet and in high school, which probably helped. But that was an exception, rather than the rule.

Ideally, I would appoint an NCO to Flight Sergeant unless you absolutely have none available and you can't leave the position vacant. And even then, I would ensure that this SrA is performing at the NCO level. Just because he's a great C/SrA doesn't mean that he would make a great Flight Sergeant. That should be taken into account before making a decision.

Tim Day

The Cadet Staff Handbook, CAPP 52-15, is a particularly good resource for a situation like this. I would sit down with your staff and discuss the examples found in that reference, then design an appropriate staff for the size and make-up of your squadron. This works well.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

jimmydeanno

Quote from: doodah5 link=topic=17771. :-\msg319959#msg319959 date=1376183862
The Cadet Staff Handbook, CAPP 52-15, is a particularly good resource for a situation like this. I would sit down with your staff and discuss the examples found in that reference, then design an appropriate staff for the size and make-up of your squadron. This works well.

Lately, I feel like that's an appropriate response for every question asked..."What does the Cadet Staff Handbook say?" 

It used to be way more interesting when there wasn't good published guidance on all this stuff. 

...Ahhh the good 'ol days...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

How many cadets in the "flight"?

Got an 8 person flight....sure why not have a C/Sra Flight Sergeant.   It is not like he is really going to be doing be doing the work of a flight sergeant.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on August 11, 2013, 05:57:54 AM

Got an 8 person flight....sure why not have a C/Sra Flight Sergeant.   It is not like he is really going to be doing be doing the work of a flight sergeant.

Then why not have an element leader for 8 weeks.  If they aren't going to be doing the job, they don't need to be one.  Job titles imply things.  Holding positions goes on resumes.  If you aren't one, but someone gives you the title, it only sets you up for failure later on.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tim Day

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2013, 01:48:30 PM

Then why not have an element leader for 8 weeks.  If they aren't going to be doing the job, they don't need to be one.  Job titles imply things.  Holding positions goes on resumes.  If you aren't one, but someone gives you the title, it only sets you up for failure later on.

Not to mention the entire purpose of the cadet leadership structure is to provide a practical experience that's aligned with their leadership curriculum. A C/SrA is learning to be an element leader and should be provided with that level of leadership responsibility so he can practice what he's studying. That shouldn't be limited to job titles, either. We should be adjusting the our performance expectations to align with the cadet leader's grade.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 10, 2013, 10:51:41 PMThat being said, sometimes you don't have much of a choice (other than leaving the position vacant; something that's not always appropriate or possible). When I was a cadet, we had a very large squadron that was hurting for officers and senior NCOs. We had senior NCOs in officer positions and airmen in NCO positions.

That's >always< an option, and usually appropriate.

As discussed in numerous other threads, cadet staff positions are just as much about the training of the cadet in question as performing the actual staff function.
While failure can be one of life's best lessons, setting someone up for failure, isn't cricket, especially an adolescent.  You're also robbing that cadet
of the one-pass-only learning experiences which are the whole point of their membership (Which is why the "I was serving my peers instead of progressing myself is nonsense.")

You're also setting up all the other cadets under the ill-appointed cadet to fail as well, because you are robbing them of appropriately prepared leadership as well,
which means you potentially set up your squadron for a string of "advance early, fail, quit, next in line, please..."  I've seen that more then once at both squadrons and large activities.

Rare is the person, adolescent or adult, absent proper training, who can lead people in an unfamiliar environment they know nothing about, especially when they are in "learn mode"
themselves.   Adults may well bring outside experience to the table, along with more mental flexibility and willingness to ask for help.  Cadets are rarely going to fall into that category, especially
under C/NCO themselves.

The preferred option should always be to go without, or have adult leadership perform the functions rather then bump someone early. 

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

We usually have about four cadets in the flight. Yeah, we're a pretty small squadron. One Chief (cadet commander), one Staff Sergeant (First Sergeant), Two Senior Airmen, Two Airmen, one Airman First Class, and two Basics. Not all of them come to all of the meetings, which are every friday from 1800-2000 hours. This cadet has also just come back from encampment, and I can tell that he has really learned a lot.
Eaker #3363

arajca

With only one flight, you have no need for a first sergeant. That cadet should be your flight sergeant. First sergeants are C/MSgt - C/CMSgt, not C/SSgt.

Your CMSgt should be your flight commander at most, not cadet commander. Nothing against your cadet, but what leadership position would they be aspiring to after they served as cadet commander?

I suggest the following structure:
C/CMSgt - Flt CC
C/SSgt - Flt Sgt
C/SrA - Element leaders
Each element gets 1 - C/A1C and 1 basic. First element gets the C/Amn

Simple and generally follows the recommendations of the Cadet Staff Handbook.

I would task each element leader with knowing where their cadets are each meeting - sick, doing homework, family activity, present, etc. If they are not at a meeting and not excused, the element leader should be contacting them before the next meeting to see why they missed the meeting.

MIKE

Make the C/CMSgt the Flight Sergeant until he gets C/2d Lt.  Make the C/SSgt the Guide. 
Mike Johnston

Tim Day

Quote from: arajca on August 11, 2013, 04:43:07 PM
With only one flight, you have no need for a first sergeant. That cadet should be your flight sergeant. First sergeants are C/MSgt - C/CMSgt, not C/SSgt.

Your CMSgt should be your flight commander at most, not cadet commander. Nothing against your cadet, but what leadership position would they be aspiring to after they served as cadet commander?

C/CMSgt - Flt CC
C/SSgt - Flt Sgt
C/SrA - Element leaders

I would task each element leader with knowing where their cadets are each meeting - sick, doing homework, family activity, present, etc. If they are not at a meeting and not excused, the element leader should be contacting them before the next meeting to see why they missed the meeting.

You could also make the C/CMSgt the First Sergeant - which would be more appropriate to the grade of C/CMSgt. That would align even more closely with the Cadet Staff Handbook, although either way is probably ok. This works in larger squadrons as well. 
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

vesryn

Quote from: doodah5 on August 11, 2013, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: arajca on August 11, 2013, 04:43:07 PM

C/CMSgt - Flt CC
C/SSgt - Flt Sgt
C/SrA - Element leaders

You could also make the C/CMSgt the First Sergeant - which would be more appropriate to the grade of C/CMSgt. That would align even more closely with the Cadet Staff Handbook, although either way is probably ok. This works in larger squadrons as well.
If we did this, who would be the flight sergeant and who would be the flight commander?
Eaker #3363

Tim Day

Quote from: Stegapop on August 11, 2013, 07:55:12 PM
If we did this, who would be the flight sergeant and who would be the flight commander?

Your C/SSgt would be your flight sergeant and you wouldn't have a flight commander (until you had a C/2d Lt). Your senior member staff would assume command functions and you'd have your cadet NCOs performing the duties assigned to cadet NCO positions per the Cadet Staff Handbook.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

vesryn

Quote from: doodah5 on August 11, 2013, 08:00:52 PM

Your C/SSgt would be your flight sergeant and you wouldn't have a flight commander (until you had a C/2d LT).
And when the C/CMSgt promotes to C/2d LT and becomes the flight commander, who would become the First Sergeant?
Eaker #3363

Tim Day

Quote from: Stegapop on August 11, 2013, 08:03:10 PM

Your C/SSgt would be your flight sergeant and you wouldn't have a flight commander (until you had a C/2d LT).
And when the C/CMSgt promotes to C/2d LT and becomes the flight commander, who would become the First Sergeant?

No one, until you have a cadet NCO of the appropriate grade to assume that role. Remember, the staff positions aren't mandatory - they are part of the training syllabus. If you don't have a cadet commander or a first sergeant, nothing bad is going to happen to you.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

Quote from: doodah5 on August 11, 2013, 08:06:18 PM
Quote from: Stegapop on August 11, 2013, 08:03:10 PM

No one, until you have a cadet NCO of the appropriate grade to assume that role. Remember, the staff positions aren't mandatory - they are part of the training syllabus. If you don't have a cadet commander or a first sergeant, nothing bad is going to happen to you.

Good point. Thank you.
Eaker #3363