Recently promoted to cadet commander of my squadron.

Started by Cjthom1728, January 07, 2013, 01:18:16 AM

Cjthom1728

I've been recently promoted to cadet commander over our squadron. I'm in a very small squadron we have about 15 cadet in our squadron. Does anybody have any advice that will help me with my transition and lead the cadets the best way possible?
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

Pylon

A good place to start is to check out the Cadet Staff Handbook (CAPP 52-15) and read the job descriptions for Cadet Commander and the job descriptions of the cadet staff whom you'll be directly supervising, like Flight Commander or First Sergeant (so you know what they should be doing).

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R052_016_2011_02_BFAB729553AB1.pdf
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Yes - discuss with your Commander that while you appreciate the confidence he has in you, as an NCO it is not grade-appropriate for you
to be appointed as Cadet Commander, and it would be better for everyone concerned, especially you, if the senior members took
over the hands-on-leadership tasks until you have cadets who are properly trained and prepared for the job.

As someone who had to make these decisions, I would respect that cadet all the more for your understanding of the real goals and intentions of CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

I have seen many cadet CCs as MSGT, or SMSG, or you name it. It depends on the cadet's maturity and understanding. Also it depends on the Sq CC and what he thinks is appropriate. If he is ok with it, then there must be a reason. My best advise, power trips have a long fall to the bottom, and its lonely when you get down there no matter how many people there are after you have been at the top. Take things slow at the beginning, learn your role, and learn they you are there because of what you have done, but you are there for everyone else, not you.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 07, 2013, 01:04:37 PM
I have seen many cadet CCs as MSGT, or SMSG, or you name it.

Doesn't make it right.

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 07, 2013, 01:04:37 PMIt depends on the cadet's maturity and understanding.
Doesn't quite matter. He could be appointed the Squadron First Sergeant, and be learning a grade-appropriate level of leadership scope.

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 07, 2013, 01:04:37 PMAlso it depends on the Sq CC and what he thinks is appropriate.
No, actually. CAPR 52-16 is the decision maker. A squadron does not need a cadet commander. He could be a flight sergeant, or if they want to throw in more people into the mix, the first sergeant.

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 07, 2013, 01:04:37 PM
If he is ok with it, then there must be a reason.
Lack of higher grade cadets and lack of understanding of 52-16 most likely.

Pylon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 07, 2013, 07:24:30 PM
No, actually. CAPR 52-16 is the decision maker. A squadron does not need a cadet commander. He could be a flight sergeant, or if they want to throw in more people into the mix, the first sergeant.

I agree with your sentiment and the sentiment of the regulations: that cadets should be appointed to phase/grade-appropriate duty assignments and be evaluated against the expectations of that type of position (rather than a "cadet commander" by title but a "Cadet Flight Commander or First Sergeant" by duties and experience).   

However, I have to disagree with what I quoted above.  Recommendations and best practices and what's taught in TLC aside: the Squadron Commander is in fact the final decision authority on any duty assignment (or lack thereof) within his or her squadron.

On a final note, while we can all have high-level discussions about phase-appropriate assignments, this cadet (the OP) came here for advice on how to do his best.  Let's not dog-pile about a decision made above his paygrade, by someone else, who's not here to explain or defend it and rather focus on giving our best practical and useful advice to this well-meaning cadet with obvious initiative (to seek advice and to seek self-improvement).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Where does an NCO go after his year or two as the Cadet Commander?

Now you've got a new Lt(ish) (hopefully, unless he was "too busy running the squadron" to progress, common in these situations), with nowhere to
go but out (hopefully to outside activities, but generally just out of CAP), or sit in the back of the room quietly.

Too much, too soon is bad for everyone, but most importantly the cadet in question.  You're robbing him of the experiences he deserves to
serve the purposes of a failing unit.

Quote from: Pylon on January 07, 2013, 07:47:45 PMfocus on giving our best practical and useful advice to this well-meaning cadet with obvious initiative (to seek advice and to seek self-improvement).

I get it, but in these cases the best advice is to respectfully decline until he's ready.  A huge lesson, maybe one of the most valuable we can teach
our cadets, and one that is sorely lacking in out kids today, is making good decisions, and that you can't have everything.  In some cases, the best response is "no thank you".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2013, 07:53:08 PM
Where does an NCO go after his year or two as the Cadet Commander?

Now you've got a new Lt(ish) (hopefully, unless he was "too busy running the squadron" to progress, common in these situations), with nowhere to
go but out (hopefully to outside activities, but generally just out of CAP), or sit in the back of the room quietly.

Too much, too soon is bad for everyone, but most importantly the cadet in question.  You're robbing him of the experiences he deserves to
serve the purposes of a failing unit.

Quote from: Pylon on January 07, 2013, 07:47:45 PMfocus on giving our best practical and useful advice to this well-meaning cadet with obvious initiative (to seek advice and to seek self-improvement).

I get it, but in these cases the best advice is to respectfully decline until he's ready.  A huge lesson, maybe one of the most valuable we can teach
our cadets, and one that is sorely lacking in out kids today, is making good decisions, and that you can't have everything.  In some cases, the best response is "no thank you".

^+1

The practical advice was already given. With a small unit, he will basically BE the Flight Sergeant/First Sergeant. He was told to look in the Cadet Staff Handbook. There, he might as well IGNORE the "Cadet Commander" section, and skip a few pages back to the flight staff/first sergeant pages, because that's where he is. Titles are one thing, but actual duty performed? A whole other deal.

manfredvonrichthofen

Yeah, I didn't ask to get nit picked. I was trying to help the kid out instead of smashing hims by saying he isn't allowed to be in the position he is because of age or grade... I was complimenting him by telling him he must have the maturity over others.

Thanks for the kick.

Майор Хаткевич

You need a tougher skin if you think that was a kick.

Eclipse

What "kick"?

We're discussing.

You provided good advice and so did we.

Not everything is personal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cjthom1728

How would my job change if I stayed the the first sergeant? The reason I became c/commander is because the former one became a senior member.
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

RogueLeader

Quote from: Cjthom1728 on January 08, 2013, 11:10:43 PM
How would my job change if I stayed the the first sergeant? The reason I became c/commander is because the former one became a senior member.

Read the duties for each in CAPR 20-1.  It has specific job descriptions.  Just because you are the highest ranking cadet, that doesn't you should be doing the job of a cadet officer.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Cjthom1728

So you suggest the I resign from my position of cadet commander?
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

ßτε

Quote from: Cjthom1728 on January 09, 2013, 12:28:04 AM
I don't think that is what is being suggested. You should have a conversation with the senior member leadership in the squadron and discuss the possibility of not having a cadet commander at this time. Maybe you can develop a plan for you to serve in an NCO position until such time as your leadership skills are developed enough to then transition to the cadet commander position (once you earn your Mitchell).

Eclipse

Quote from: ßτε on January 09, 2013, 12:39:00 AM
Quote from: Cjthom1728 on January 09, 2013, 12:28:04 AM
I don't think that is what is being suggested. You should have a conversation with the senior member leadership in the squadron and discuss the possibility of not having a cadet commander at this time. Maybe you can develop a plan for you to serve in an NCO position until such time as your leadership skills are developed enough to then transition to the cadet commander position (once you earn your Mitchell).

+1

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

I'm in the same situation. I've had the title of First Sergeant in my squadron for about 7 months now, but I've covered all of the duties from Flight Sergeant to Admin to Leadership to Ops and Logistics, and so on, all of the way to Cadet Commander.

A little background of my squadron: We have about 12 cadets. I'm the highest ranking cadet, and have been for quite some time. We have about 4 NCOs. My NCOs are just now being able to handle tasks I delegate to them.

Anyway, so my real question is, if for the past months I were just to undertake duties prescribed to First Sergeants, how would've our cadet side of the squadron functioned?

More bonus info: We have no Senior Member ex-cadets active our squadron, so nobody who could fill in a Cadet Commander's shoes. We have a Senior Member with CP as a Specialty Track, but he has several duties in the squadron and can't tend to the cadets all night.

Solutions?
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Cjthom1728

Quote from: JerseyCadet on January 09, 2013, 01:38:58 AM
I'm in the same situation. I've had the title of First Sergeant in my squadron for about 7 months now, but I've covered all of the duties from Flight Sergeant to Admin to Leadership to Ops and Logistics, and so on, all of the way to Cadet Commander.

A little background of my squadron: We have about 12 cadets. I'm the highest ranking cadet, and have been for quite some time. We have about 4 NCOs. My NCOs are just now being able to handle tasks I delegate to them.

Anyway, so my real question is, if for the past months I were just to undertake duties prescribed to First Sergeants, how would've our cadet side of the squadron functioned?

More bonus info: We have no Senior Member ex-cadets active our squadron, so nobody who could fill in a Cadet Commander's shoes. We have a Senior Member with CP as a Specialty Track, but he has several duties in the squadron and can't tend to the cadets all night.

Solutions?

This the exact question I have. We also have no senior members who were former cadets and we don't have a senior member with a specialty track as of now. Our recent one left a few months ago. 
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

Майор Хаткевич

Your squadron does not need a Cadet Commander. In fact most squadrons don't need them, regardless of grade based on size. This is why outside activities like encampments are essential. I think the average unit is under 15 cadets. That's basically a flight, or two small flights. But if you make it two, with a cadet commander, that's flights of 7 each, where 1 person is flight commander and then a flight sergeant, leaving 2 chiefs for 5 indians.

Somehow a lot of cadets AND Seniors are under the impression that a cadet structure can't work without a cadet commander. That would be false. If the unit has 10-15 cadets, and the most senior cadet is an NCO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making them the flight sergeant. Once there is at least one other cadet NCO, the SNCO can become the flight commander, and train the flight sergeant. If there is more than one cadet coming up behind them, there's nothing wrong with breaking into two smaller flights, and having the SNCO become the First Sergeant. Once the SNCO is a C/Officer, then he can either continue with Flight commander, or Cadet Commander. The reality is, I may not agree with the CP as laid out (With Cadet Commander basically projected as a Phase IV job), but it's certainly not a Phase II job. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: JerseyCadet on January 09, 2013, 01:38:58 AM

Solutions?

A Senior Member should be filling the roles.  That said, the Cadet Commander should not be watching you 24/7 while you are there.  If they are, they're doing it wrong.  A Commander should be planning everything while the cadet NCO's make it happen.  That said, a lot of the planning can be done before the meeting so the SM can take care of other duties. 

In our Squadron, our Cadet Commander spends maybe 20% of his time directing cadets and 80% in his office working on plans, projects, and other duties.

You SM should be making the plans before hand, and giving you the scoop as to whats going on, and when, and you make it happen.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340