PT Cadences

Started by CadetColonelToBe, September 15, 2012, 01:32:44 PM

CadetColonelToBe

Does anyone know any Cadences for pt...  I only know 2 but I want to give my flight something new.
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

manfredvonrichthofen

Look for Johnny was a young man, it's hard paced and rather fun. It takes a lot of lung power for the caller.

Garibaldi

None that can be repeated in this forum. >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Critical AOA

The ones I know are more relevant to the Army and a soldier's life.  I don't know any for CAP cadets.  Maybe you could write some.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Extremepredjudice

Down by the river.

Why do you need them?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 15, 2012, 09:48:03 PM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Why do YOU have to do anything.   You don't, but cadences can be fun, make it easier to march in step, and build espirit-de-corps.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 16, 2012, 05:08:52 AM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Why do YOU have to do anything.   You don't, but cadences can be fun, make it easier to march in step, and build espirit-de-corps.
But he needs them for PT. PT is individual running. Not formation running.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Silent Panther

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 16, 2012, 02:46:57 PM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Unless his squadron, like mine, does group PT. It's something fun to do that's not exactly an every-day type of thing we do in CAP.
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

RogueLeader

Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Not all pt is a test. If it is, you're doing it wrong, or at least a disservice.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 16, 2012, 03:08:42 PM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Not all pt is a test. If it is, you're doing it wrong, or at least a disservice.

+1000

PT = physical training
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Agreed!!!

I think every unit needs to do a pt test every other month, you can only pass a pt test every other month anyways, and if no one teaches them how to train for it, then they lose out on valuable strength and endurance training.

a2capt

They spend a couple blocks of flight time doing AE, but not all of AE is a test. Same deal. Formation running is camaraderie, and that might get them excited and motived  ... to work harder and ... that will usually mean busting the last numbers on PT.

The ones that stop because they needed only 37 will never know their full potential.

Cap'n

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 16, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
Agreed!!!

I think every unit needs to do a pt test every other month, you can only pass a pt test every other month anyways, and if no one teaches them how to train for it, then they lose out on valuable strength and endurance training.

Good point. Units should be doing PT testing every month anyways. And any extra PT outside of that is a good idea- it promotes teamwork, confidence, and is overall healthy for the cadets.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Pomegranate on September 17, 2012, 02:29:37 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 16, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
Agreed!!!

Good point. Units should be doing PT testing every month anyways. And any extra PT outside of that is a good idea- it promotes teamwork, confidence, and is overall healthy for the cadets.
I don't think they should be doing pt testing every month, but pt, Yes, every month. There should be testing on even months and training on odd months, or the other way around. In formation pt is a good thing for cohesion and for learning. A cadet leading and a senior who has gone through pt testing in the military preferred, but not needed, to walk between the cadets telling them how to fix their position and give pointers on how to better their output for Max score and best muscular build. The only way to get good at pushups is to do pushups. So get them doing the pushups and situps.

Don't just run through the test, do training, stretch out together, warm up, run for a mile and a half or so. Running a bit farther than the test requires builds the endurance for the test. If they are up for it at the end of training, then throw in a smoke session, do overhead arm claps, and make it to where they can't feel their arms, it showed them how a really good workout should feel at the end. But if you do this, you MUST DO IT WITH THEM.

Extremepredjudice

Um, you have to exercise more than 1 time a month/week to get fit or stay fit.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

RogueLeader

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 17, 2012, 03:45:22 AM

Thank you Capt Obvious. You teach them other exercises and other techniques during pt time so they can do them on their own.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 17, 2012, 03:45:22 AM
SO that's my problem... All this time I thought it was what I was eating...

No, I was suggesting this so they understand how to workout on their own and how a really good workout should feel at the end of the day.

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow thrashed... I didn't know those Were back there... And I wish I still didn't... That was awful.

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Critical AOA

Jodies, huh?  All the ones I remember about Jody were referring to a guy named Jody who was... err... let's just say, he kept the home fires burning while you were gone. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Cap'n

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 17, 2012, 03:41:50 AM

I don't think they should be doing pt testing every month, but pt, Yes, every month. There should be testing on even months and training on odd months, or the other way around. In formation pt is a good thing for cohesion and for learning. A cadet leading and a senior who has gone through pt testing in the military preferred, but not needed, to walk between the cadets telling them how to fix their position and give pointers on how to better their output for Max score and best muscular build. The only way to get good at pushups is to do pushups. So get them doing the pushups and situps.

Don't just run through the test, do training, stretch out together, warm up, run for a mile and a half or so. Running a bit farther than the test requires builds the endurance for the test. If they are up for it at the end of training, then throw in a smoke session, do overhead arm claps, and make it to where they can't feel their arms, it showed them how a really good workout should feel at the end. But if you do this, you MUST DO IT WITH THEM.

The only problem I see with this is the on-off schedule month wise. If you're only doing PT testing once every two months, what happens to the cadet that's sick that day and can't make it? This means they have to wait 2 months to promote. You're also messing up the promotion schedule of cadets. However, everyone has a different squadron, and a different way to do PT. The once a month works great for us, and the one every two months also seems to work great for you.

Other then that, I like the training/conditioning idea. It could improve the physical fitness of the cadets, as well as help those who have trouble passing their PT tests. We're doing this in my squadron right now, and the results have been good.

jeders

Quote from: Pomegranate on September 19, 2012, 03:08:05 AM
The only problem I see with this is the on-off schedule month wise. If you're only doing PT testing once every two months, what happens to the cadet that's sick that day and can't make it?

Ever hear of a make up test? I imagine that's probably what they would do.

QuoteThis means they have to wait 2 months to promote.

So in other words, nothing changes since most cadets already have to wait 2 months.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Critical AOA

Being 54 years old, it has been a few years since I was a cadet or in school so please forgive what might be looked at by some as dumb questions. 

I do not recall doing PT during meetings as a cadet when I was one.  When did this start?

Do most schools still have Phys Ed these days or has that gone away?  When I was in school we had PE even in high school.

Garibaldi

We did PT every week...in the form of working off demerits after inspection by doing pushups. Then, every 4th meeting was PT night, where we'd run the mile and do the Daily Dozen.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Cap'n

Quote from: jeders on September 19, 2012, 02:01:03 PM
Quote from: Pomegranate on September 19, 2012, 03:08:05 AM
The only problem I see with this is the on-off schedule month wise. If you're only doing PT testing once every two months, what happens to the cadet that's sick that day and can't make it?

Ever hear of a make up test? I imagine that's probably what they would do.

QuoteThis means they have to wait 2 months to promote.

So in other words, nothing changes since most cadets already have to wait 2 months.

An extra two months. As in they are going to take PT to promote that month, can't make it, and have to wait to more months until they take their PT test to promote. A total four months.

And that could turn in to a lot of make up tests, especially of you have a bigger squadron. You could have 100+ cadets in your squadron, and have a good 20-30 miss a meeting. That would be the point for it being every two months, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Regardless, the only thing you are required to do is have PT once a month. So however you do it, that's fine.

But moving back to the original post, it you're still looking for any cadences, there's some good ones here: http://army-cadence.com/Air-Force-Running-Cadences.php. That page is AF cadences, but there's a lot more if you browse around.

CadetColonelToBe

Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

That's a "SHE"; I need them cause they motivate my cadets. Also when your running during PT it helps keep their minds off the pain of running... and they're fun.
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

CadetColonelToBe

Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

also my squadron run together as a group they only run individually if they are pt testing which is their choice

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetColonelToBe on September 22, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

That's a "SHE"; I need them cause they motivate my cadets. Also when your running during PT it helps keep their minds off the pain of running... and they're fun.

Very much so, they also make it easier to stay in formation.  I also find (for me) that the easiest spot to stay where I need to be is the post  (front right of the formation)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340