PT Cadences

Started by CadetColonelToBe, September 15, 2012, 01:32:44 PM

CadetColonelToBe

Does anyone know any Cadences for pt...  I only know 2 but I want to give my flight something new.
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

manfredvonrichthofen

Look for Johnny was a young man, it's hard paced and rather fun. It takes a lot of lung power for the caller.

Garibaldi

None that can be repeated in this forum. >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Critical AOA

The ones I know are more relevant to the Army and a soldier's life.  I don't know any for CAP cadets.  Maybe you could write some.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Extremepredjudice

Down by the river.

Why do you need them?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 15, 2012, 09:48:03 PM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Why do YOU have to do anything.   You don't, but cadences can be fun, make it easier to march in step, and build espirit-de-corps.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 16, 2012, 05:08:52 AM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Why do YOU have to do anything.   You don't, but cadences can be fun, make it easier to march in step, and build espirit-de-corps.
But he needs them for PT. PT is individual running. Not formation running.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Silent Panther

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 16, 2012, 02:46:57 PM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Unless his squadron, like mine, does group PT. It's something fun to do that's not exactly an every-day type of thing we do in CAP.
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

RogueLeader

Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Not all pt is a test. If it is, you're doing it wrong, or at least a disservice.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 16, 2012, 03:08:42 PM
Down by the river.

Why do you need them?

Not all pt is a test. If it is, you're doing it wrong, or at least a disservice.

+1000

PT = physical training
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Agreed!!!

I think every unit needs to do a pt test every other month, you can only pass a pt test every other month anyways, and if no one teaches them how to train for it, then they lose out on valuable strength and endurance training.

a2capt

They spend a couple blocks of flight time doing AE, but not all of AE is a test. Same deal. Formation running is camaraderie, and that might get them excited and motived  ... to work harder and ... that will usually mean busting the last numbers on PT.

The ones that stop because they needed only 37 will never know their full potential.

Cap'n

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 16, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
Agreed!!!

I think every unit needs to do a pt test every other month, you can only pass a pt test every other month anyways, and if no one teaches them how to train for it, then they lose out on valuable strength and endurance training.

Good point. Units should be doing PT testing every month anyways. And any extra PT outside of that is a good idea- it promotes teamwork, confidence, and is overall healthy for the cadets.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Pomegranate on September 17, 2012, 02:29:37 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 16, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
Agreed!!!

Good point. Units should be doing PT testing every month anyways. And any extra PT outside of that is a good idea- it promotes teamwork, confidence, and is overall healthy for the cadets.
I don't think they should be doing pt testing every month, but pt, Yes, every month. There should be testing on even months and training on odd months, or the other way around. In formation pt is a good thing for cohesion and for learning. A cadet leading and a senior who has gone through pt testing in the military preferred, but not needed, to walk between the cadets telling them how to fix their position and give pointers on how to better their output for Max score and best muscular build. The only way to get good at pushups is to do pushups. So get them doing the pushups and situps.

Don't just run through the test, do training, stretch out together, warm up, run for a mile and a half or so. Running a bit farther than the test requires builds the endurance for the test. If they are up for it at the end of training, then throw in a smoke session, do overhead arm claps, and make it to where they can't feel their arms, it showed them how a really good workout should feel at the end. But if you do this, you MUST DO IT WITH THEM.

Extremepredjudice

Um, you have to exercise more than 1 time a month/week to get fit or stay fit.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

RogueLeader

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 17, 2012, 03:45:22 AM

Thank you Capt Obvious. You teach them other exercises and other techniques during pt time so they can do them on their own.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 17, 2012, 03:45:22 AM
SO that's my problem... All this time I thought it was what I was eating...

No, I was suggesting this so they understand how to workout on their own and how a really good workout should feel at the end of the day.

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow thrashed... I didn't know those Were back there... And I wish I still didn't... That was awful.