Questions for promotion board?

Started by ElectricPenguin, October 28, 2010, 01:19:45 AM

ElectricPenguin

I'm someone who likes to prepare for things like this... knowing that I will be asked questions like "Why do you want to promote?" I really couldn't think of a crystal clear reason for the first minute. Though I love coming to meetings, i get REALLY nervous... :-[

Eclipse

If the board asks that question, they need a refresher on the point of a promotion board.

The board should be assessing your fitness for the next level and the responsibilities you might expect.  The discussions
should include what you have done since your last promotion, and what you plan to do in the near future.

It should not include any retesting on items covered in exams, or "gotcha" nonsense about who the Secretary of Sub-Urban Carnival Vendors is.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I like to ask cadets why they want to be promoted in their review boards.  It's not that I'm looking for a particular answer in general, but rather to find the motivation behind the persons desire to move up.

I'll never forget one review board I did a few years back, with a 12 year old girl trying to become a C/A1C.

"So, can you tell me why you are trying to get promoted?"

"Well, Sir, I've realized that as a C/Amn my ability to help others and change things isn't going to be as effective if I'm only wearing one stripe.  The more stripes I have, the more people I can help."

If I could have made her a C/Col that day, I would have.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

'to advance my education AND TRAINING rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community state and nation sir'

done.

davidsinn

I like to ask one really off the wall question not because I actually care about the answer but to see how well they can recover from the complete absurdity of the question. My reasoning is: some people actually ask this stuff in job interviews to test a candidate's mettle and if I throw them at the cadets in a safe environment I might just give them a leg up in the future. The question and answer don't affect my decision at all but it does open up discussion areas about bearing, quick thinking and knowing yourself first so you can know your troops.

The last one I used was: :"if you were a vegetable what kind would you be and why?" The looks I get are priceless. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

coudano

Quote from: davidsinn on October 28, 2010, 02:23:19 AM
The question and answer don't affect my decision at all

This is exactly why we don't do PRB's for achievements at my squadron at all.
If i'm not going to promote a cadet, there is nothing that cadet can say in a prb to change my mind...
If i'm going to promote a cadet, that cadet would have to *REEEAAAAAALLLLY* hose up in the prb to change my mind...
It's too much headache and hastle for something that "doesn't affect the decision at all" practically speaking

DakRadz

He was talking about one question, such as "if you were a vegetable what kind would you be and why?". Not the promotion board as a whole.

A.Member

Quote from: DakRadz on October 28, 2010, 02:46:39 AM
He was talking about one question, such as "if you were a vegetable what kind would you be and why?". Not the promotion board as a whole.
I hate that crap...and I do mean crap.   It's right there with it's cousin "if you were a Jolly Rancher, what flavor would you be and why?"...and the umpteen other variations of this amateur-hour interview gimmick.

I encourage our board members to use behavioral based questions.  Questions that often begin like this:  "Tell me about a time/situation when you..."

As a result, we are looking for responses from candidates that follow the CAR method:

• Context:  Describe the problem/situation - this provides some background
  • Action:  Describe what specific action you (the candidate) took
  • Result:  Describe the outcome (ideally positive)
The idea is that past experience is a indicator of readiness and future performance.   We want to spark some critical thinking and a forward looking question may be thrown as well. 

Obviously, the make-up of the board (cadet/senior ratio), questions, and expectations around the responses increase with rank.  It also requires that we spend time with board members to ensure they know what to look for in responses.   Board members are assembled randomly for each session so that candidates cannot "play" the board as easily.

Another important consideration is that we do not look for promotion boards to be a road block.   Rather it should help bolster the candidates confidence.  Cadet leadership should not present a cadet to go before a board unless there is a high degree of confidence the cadet will pass.   Pass rates should be around the 90th percentile.  Either way, followup feedback is critical.

In addition to the promotion board serving as a check and balance, so to speak, it provides participants with valuable experience that is directly applicable to real life.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

N Harmon

Things I enjoyed asking during review boards:

"How is the cadet program affecting your life outside of CAP?"

"If you could change anything about the squadron what would it be?"

"How well are you working with _____?"

"How would you describe your leadership style?"

If it is a high-level promotion:
"What sorts of things do you think will be expected of you that were not expected of you before being promoted?"

If the cadet had not promoted for a long time:
"What sort of help could we have provided that would have helped you promote earlier?"
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

davidsinn

Quote from: A.Member on October 28, 2010, 03:31:26 AM
I hate that crap...and I do mean crap.   It's right there with it's cousin "if you were a Jolly Rancher, what flavor would you be and why?"...and the umpteen other variations of this amateur-hour interview gimmick.

Had a job interview lately? They really do ask that kind of crap.

I really only do it as an ice breaker because some cadets are so nervous they can't even report in properly even though they have it down cold every other time they do it. Most of my questions are along the lines of what leadership means to them, where they are going with their cadet career, do they think they are performing at level and can they perform at the next level etc...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

A.Member

Quote from: davidsinn on October 28, 2010, 01:37:24 PM
Quote from: A.Member on October 28, 2010, 03:31:26 AM

Let's just say I have a little experience with the interview process.  ;)   While I'm sure there are indeed some people that ask those type of questions, it's very amateur-hour stuff.   Most mature organizations have a fairly scripted interview process and, no, they don't ask stuff like that.  Either way, if cadets learn the basic preparatory skills, such foolish questions are not an issue.  Keep in mind, boards should not be long gruelling sessions.   The time is very limited, make valuable use of everyone's time by asking pertinent questions and work with the cadets to develop skills that elicit concise and articulate responses.

I really only do it as an ice breaker because some cadets are so nervous they can't even report in properly even though they have it down cold every other time they do it.
The ranking person on the board should help put the cadet at ease at the outset and using a cornball question certainly would not ease any nervousness.  Actually, I'd expect it has the opposite effect. 

Boards are a way to hone interview skills in a  "low-risk" environment.  It's a learning lab.  After cadets go through a few sessions, they become comfortable with the format and are much better prepared for the real world.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Senty7

First post...please be gentle with me, eh?

1.  Tell me about a time you found a better way to get something done. (evaluate depth and complexity of answer, as well as communication skill)
2.  Tell me about a time you gave extra effort to get something done.
(Same as Q1)
3.  Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a colleague.
3a.  How did you handle it?
3b.  What was the outcome?
3c.  Has the relationship prospered, or deteriorated?  Why do you think that is? 
4.  There is mission accomplishment, and there is troop welfare.  Tell me how you balance the two.  (Other venues:  "production" vs. "maintenance"; "admin" vs. "ops")
4a.  (Whatever side they seem to lean toward, come down in defense of the other.  Evaluate ability to take a stand on an issue.  Do they waffle?  Are they a "yes-person?")
5.  Tell me what "integrity" means to you.  Variation:  Tell me what "honor" and "integrity" mean to you.  (Goes to understanding of basic principle.  Do they confuse it with "loyalty?"  A person can be profoundly loyal yet intensely dishonorable.)
6.  When is it okay to lie?  (Goes to character.)
7.  If you could change one thing about the (office, company, squadron, wing), what would it be?  How would you implement that change?
8.  What is one thing you've done to improve yourself in the last year? (goes to commitment to self-improvement, as well as depth.  Did they get their pilot's license, learn MS Access, or learn to tie a bowline?)
9.  Who has been the greatest influence in your life?  (If they take the easy way out and say, "Father," can they back it up?  Or do they floor you from left field with "William Sowden Sims" or "Matthew Ridgway?"  Can they back THAT up?)   

One popular pair of questions I do NOT ask is:  What is your greatest strength?  What is your greatest weakness?   I either already know--or will quickly learn--what these are, and I submit that all strengths can be situational weaknesses, and vice versa.  Usually the answers come out in the form of scrpted self-help-book-heavy inauthentic babble. 

Like others have stated, I HATE vegetables, fruits, hand tools, Jolly Rangers, and the all-too-common:  "Describe yourself to me in only three words."  As an ice-breaker or stress-reliever, I turn to...  What'd you do on your last vacation?  What do you do when your not doing (CAP, SAR, papermaking, police work, insert occupation or position here)?

Finally, as a side trip, when interviewing for hire:  "I've looked at your paperwork, and quite frankly, I don't see much. Why should I spend one more minute considering your application?"

I have a few more, if interested.

Best regards,

Senty7

jeders

Quote from: davidsinn on October 28, 2010, 02:23:19 AM
The last one I used was: :"if you were a vegetable what kind would you be and why?" The looks I get are priceless. ;D

When I was a TAC at NBB doing cadet flight staff interviews I used "Which do you prefer, ninja or pirate/pie or cake?"

I didn't really care about the answer because there were a dozen other TACs asking real questions, so I could pretty well sum up a cadet based on the answers to those other questions. On a side note, however, the ones who answered pirate tended to be better team players than those that answered ninja. In fact the honor cadet answered pirate I believe.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

jimmydeanno

If I ever walked into a job interview and questions like that were asked, I would seriously reconsider my desire to work at that company.  I have never experienced a job interview in which the interviewer was that juvenile. 

Job interviews aren't some sort of game and there is something to be gained by both parties.  It is an opportunity for both parties to be introduced to the personality of each side.  The employer wants to know what skills you bring to the table, as well as learn a bit more about your personality to see if you'd be a good match for the environment.  You, presumably, would be interested in knowing what kind of work environment, and what type of people you'd be working with (along with typical work expectations, etc).  A question like, "what type of vegetable would you want to be" would be a great indicator that I would not want to work for that company, as they apparently do not take me seriously enough to be worth my time.

YMMV.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DBlair

Reading over this thread, I am reminded of a certain comedy sketch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo

DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Senty7

:P

1.  How many inches in a liter?
2.  Why do we call them "jumbo shrimp?"
3.  Why do we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
4.  If it's I before E except after C, why does Einstein have it wrong twice in his name?
5.  If you have a group of odds and ends on a table, and one falls off, what is it?
6.  If a pig loses its voice, does it become disgruntled?
7.  Why do people "unthaw" ice?  Doesn't "unthaw" mean to freeze?  (The same holds with "hot water heater.")
8.  If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is opposite of Progress?
9.  When they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?

Best regards,

Senty

RobertAmphibian

Best review board question/answer I've seen:

Q:How much does it cost to keep a fellow cadet in CAP?

A (from a C/SrA):I believe 35 dollars, sir.

MSG Mac

I always ask the cadet to tell me something about the person the achievement is named after. I think that if asked what the ribbon stands for they should eb able to respond with some information about them
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member