Hazing Subsitute?

Started by Kerrbie, March 25, 2010, 05:31:39 PM

Kerrbie

haha oh trust me i know. My old squadron we actutally had a cadet ops officer that had the scedual at least 5 months ahead. Every meeting he would bother us and be like what are you doing on this week with your cadets. haha
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

DC

Does the time they are required to show up and/or does basic loadout of stuff they need change on a frequent basis?

Kerrbie

Not at all. The time has always been the same. Theres maybe 2 cadets who show up ontime. As for what to bring I havn't been their flight commander long so we havn't had much time to do anything else besides drill. So the materials I ask them to bring has only been for 2 meetings so far.

JC004

lordmonar

Quote from: Kerbie on March 26, 2010, 05:54:32 PM
Not at all. The time has always been the same. Theres maybe 2 cadets who show up ontime. As for what to bring I havn't been their flight commander long so we havn't had much time to do anything else besides drill. So the materials I ask them to bring has only been for 2 meetings so far.
Simple fix....."until you can show that you can be on time with the right equipment ready to do your assigned task....you will not be promoted!"

On the specific issue here though.....how long have you been with the unit?  Did you just walk in 2 weeks ago an evaluate that this is your only major problem.....or have you just been promoted/assigned to the job and this problem has been going on (under another Flight Commander) for a long time?

Ahhh....the joys of command.

It is possible that your predecessor allowed these guys to ignore the standards...or he did not effectively communicate said standards......it is also possible that this is an anomaly.  Two meetings does not necessarily make a trend.

But there are easy steps to keep it from becoming a trend.

1) Make sure your fecal matter does not stink....that is make sure you are always on time, ready, with the right equipment.
2) Explain to everyone exactly what your expectations are, what the standards are, and what the repercussions are. (this is something that every new leader should do from day one of being assigned to a new job/unit).
3) Give them and yourself a reasonable time period to make the adjustment (I would say a month) for the cadets to transition to the (new?) standards.
4) Observe them during the transition...providing corrective feed back and encouragement.
5) After the transition period then you can start on more strenuous corrective actions.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Short Field

^^^ AND discuss this problem with your chain of command and let them know how you intend to fix it.  A lot of people confuse this with asking for help but it is really just keeping your boss informed.  It might also keep you out of trouble in the future. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

Quote from: Short Field on March 26, 2010, 07:10:37 PM
^^^ AND discuss this problem with your chain of command and let them know how you intend to fix it.  A lot of people confuse this with asking for help but it is really just keeping your boss informed.  It might also keep you out of trouble in the future.
There you go again....keeping your leadership in the loop!  One would suspect that you are trying make CAP a professional organisation or something!  >:D

Kerrbie

Well basiclly the situation is that when their flight commander was leaving to go into the mariens I walked in, and being an officer as well as being quiallifed and just slipped into the job.

As for the problems; the being there at a different time is something new that happened after I got there and every time a cadet walks in late im right on their butt asking why. They know my expectations because I made sure to make that clear.  But i was able to evaluate them a few weeks before officially taking the position.

lordmonar

Well there you go....time to lower the boom!

They know the standard.
They know what you expect of them.
They undersand the possible repercussions.

Time to go talk to your CC or DCC....explain the situation, explain that you wish to hold back their promotions, bar them from any "fun" activities, or maybe demote them.

There are lots of ways to punish people with out humiliating them or making them do push ups.

Cecil DP

Get all your cadets together for a briefing by the  CC, DCC, or Cadet Commander to set the standards and let everyone know what is expected, and the consequences of failing to meet those standards. Onre rule for everybody, not just for your flight.

p.s. Kerbie:  Please use spell and grammar check
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Kerrbie

Thanks guys!! This has been a big help.  :clap: