Hazing Subsitute?

Started by Kerrbie, March 25, 2010, 05:31:39 PM

Kerrbie

So Im at a little bit of a loss. If been thinking of a way to disciplin without hazing my cadets and the only thing I can think of is to have them write a paragraph or something of the importance of what they did wrong or why I asked them to do something.  I need some way to get through to them. It's not big stuff. Just forgetting items that I asked them to bring or not coming to the meeting at the time I told them.
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

lordmonar

There are all sorts of way of correcting behavior with out resulting to hazing.

- basic feed back techniques...tell them what they did wrong, how to do it right, and when you want to see the expected change.

- removal of privileges....no fun stuff until the bad behavior is corrected.

- withhold promotions

- Personal essays (explain why you screwed up, why it is wrong, and what you will do to correct it)

It is not really all that hard.  You just need to make sure that they know the standard, that they know that they failed to meet it, and what the need to do to correct it.

Any punishment simply need to be appropriate for the offense, timely and not cross any of the hazing lines.

The hazing rules do not mean you can't call out a cadet for screwing up...it simply means we need use effective corrective tools to get the desired behavior.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Kerbie on March 25, 2010, 05:31:39 PM
So Im at a little bit of a loss. If been thinking of a way to disciplin without hazing my cadets and the only thing I can think of is to have them write a paragraph or something of the importance of what they did wrong or why I asked them to do something.  I need some way to get through to them. It's not big stuff. Just forgetting items that I asked them to bring or not coming to the meeting at the time I told them.
If the cadet forgets to bring something they are told to, do you provide it? If so, STOP PROVIDING IT! When they can't complete whatever task requried them to bring the item, they'll stop forgetting.
Is there an impact if the cadet shows up late? If not, why should they be on time? The unit I work with requires cadets to report for testing (if they want to take a test) between 1830 and 1840. If they're not in line to report at 1840, they don't test. Simple. Not hazing. Not really even disciplining. Putting a direct cause/effect relationship in place that they can understand.

Kerrbie

Well They know why they need to get there the time i tell them too. and they know why i need them to bring what i ask and I certinlly DON'T provide it. Their not bad cadets Im really proud of them actutally its just the little things i cant get into their head ><

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Kerbie on March 25, 2010, 07:21:26 PM
Well They know why they need to get there the time i tell them too. and they know why i need them to bring what i ask and I certinlly DON'T provide it. Their not bad cadets Im really proud of them actutally its just the little things i cant get into their head ><

Little things like what? Coming to attention? Drill movements? General knowledge?

Those would fall under withholding promotions until performance is satisfactory.

Kerrbie

Oooo no no not stuff like that. There like the only cadets that know drill and know their customs. They just cant remember what time they need to be there as many times as I, my flight sgt, and even my element leader as told them. >< as well as what they need to bring when i tell them to bring something.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Kerbie on March 25, 2010, 07:46:34 PM
Oooo no no not stuff like that. There like the only cadets that know drill and know their customs. They just cant remember what time they need to be there as many times as I, my flight sgt, and even my element leader as told them. >< as well as what they need to bring when i tell them to bring something.

Send an e-mail. Explain that late attendance/being unprepared without reason is a factor in consideration for promotions.

Kerrbie

That is a good idea because it is really starting to get on my nerves. Just watching our cadets in our squadron drill last week almost gave me an anerism.  I just transfered over to this one from another one and this one is pretty much re building so yeah.

Eclipse

Try new !!HAZING SUBSTITUTE!! by Morton-Thiokol, Inc.

Now with twice the duct tape and 15% less investigations!!!

Stop use and ask a doctor if

an allergic reaction occurs. Seek medical help right away.
drill gets worse or lasts more than 10 days.
redness or swelling is present.
testing lasts more than 3 days.
new symptoms occur.
ringing in the ears or loss of hearing occurs.

Notice: Individual results may vary. You should always consult with your Commander before starting this product or any cadet-related program.
Disclaimer: The product descriptions and the statements on this page are from manufacturers and/or distributors and have not been evaluated by National Headquarters, CAP-USAF, or the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. CAPTALK does not imply any medical claims from the customer reviews on this Hazing Substitute product on this website.

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

"I Can't Believe It's Not Hazing!"

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Kerrbie

There are times i wish we could make them do push ups >< I always think it works

Eclipse

Quote from: Kerbie on March 25, 2010, 08:32:09 PM
There are times i wish we could make them do push ups >< I always think it works

A topic oft discussed.

How does a punishment unrelated to the mistake fix the mistake?

(i.e. push-ups for dirty boots might give you stronger arms, but not clean boots)

"That Others May Zoom"

Kerrbie

Oh no I compleatly agree with you. It's just frusterating some times.

AirAux

Fuzzy

Welcome to CAP  ;D

Seriously I know you probably have a lot of experiance. Just a joke on CAP.
C/Capt Semko

JC004

I don't see why CAP doesn't allow hazing.  There must be thousands of corporations that make their employees do push-ups when they don't show up to work on time. 

Why did you need to use hazing again?

An excellent start is finding out what the problem is.

Kerrbie

My cadets are amazing, they just can't seem to remember to get to the meeting when I tell them too and they cant seem to remember to bring materials for flight time. As many times as I, my Flight Sgt, and Element leader tell them during the meeting, during call downs, and a reminder before the meeting. -.- ><

Im gonna try sending an email this week and see if that helps. If not prob an essay. But I want to know what I can do instead of making them write an essay.

Eclipse

Do you have an easily accessible calendar that indicates what your activities will be and what they need?

Are you involving the parents in the notifications?

"That Others May Zoom"

Kerrbie

Well it's just the cadets in my flight im concerned with. Im just a flight commander.  As for activties I have them all planned out but I dont know what Im going to be doing till a few days or even the day before the meeting. Our squadron is still rebuilding itself so stuff like the events and the ops orders are still in the works of being re done.

Eclipse

Quote from: Kerbie on March 25, 2010, 11:51:50 PM
As for activties I have them all planned out but I dont know what Im going to be doing till a few days or even the day before the meeting.

The answer is in your question.

Cadets should know for at least 13 weeks ahead what is expected of them, not 13 hours.

Time to start working further ahead, and this is not your problem - the cadet commander and commander should be setting the schedule for the unit as a whole.

"That Others May Zoom"