wierdest thing that ever happened to you on a sarex

Started by swya, February 22, 2007, 05:53:58 AM

SAR-EMT1

HA! Did you or Patrizzi have a hand in organizing that?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

Quote from: Eclipse on February 23, 2007, 08:00:43 PM
This one time we had a mission where everyone showed up on time, in proper uniform, with all their credentials current and correct.

Airplanes were waiting on the flight line, fueled, inspected, and on standby.  All the radio panels were properly programmed, and the aircrews knew how to use them.

Everyone had the proper gear, and executed their instructions without filtering in their own ideas or making things up as they went along.

Meanwhile, back at mission base...

The command staff checked their egos at the door, including pilots, who, because of weather issues couldn't fly in the morning and helped get things set up and running, then they did whatever was needed throughout the day.

No one was left for hours sitting in a field, waiting for instructions, only to be given a mission 45 minutes before sundown and then ordered RTB 20 feet from the objective.

There were no arguments in front of the press, the missions were well thought out and executed well within the budgets, most of the teams accomplished their objectives, and those that didn't learned something.

And afterwards all the paperwork, mission credits, and 108's  were processed in a timely manner.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen in CAP...
Yeah right... you had me till the radios were set up right, then the pilots that was the clencher. One can dream though.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

On a positive note, I was at SAREX (FLS). A new concept was tried. The aircrews that arrived Fri evening were briefed Fri evening. Sat morn at 0700, we had a general briefing, each aircrew had a weather update, then they launched. We had all eight a/c in the air by 0800. It was a wing record, and hasn't been matched since.

Unfortunetely, after they returned (around 1200), the wind picked up. Crosswinds constantly 35+. We ahd all the second wave aircrews ready to launch by 1300, but the SAREX was terminated. The winds were bad enough that most a/c didn't get out until Monday.