Ground Team Radiological qualification

Started by desert rat, February 15, 2007, 07:37:01 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: desert rat on February 21, 2007, 06:42:57 PM
Still no work from national on this.  I tried the knowledge base and still have no response.  It looks like there is no set training for this.  This is very simple to train for and is a great mission for a ground team.

From another thread...

Quote from: desert rat on February 15, 2007, 07:34:46 AM
What is the actual training required for a ground radiological monitoring.  I can't find a training task guide anywhere, or what outside CAP training suffices for thequalification.

Quote from: CAP Knowledgebase
CAP does not have a nationwide radiological monitoring program, though some wings do support local agencies with appropriately trained personnel. Your wing will need to recognize your qualifications and have an existing program before utilization and award of a rating...

...The Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch is awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course. Individuals who complete such a course should provide a copy of the completion certificate to your professional development or personnel officer for inclusion in your records. The patch may be ordered from CAPMart/Vanguard Item 0839 AERIAL RADIOLOGICAL PATCH.

http://tinyurl.com/2b8586

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

The word form national is already posted in the thread. There is no national program. If you state has a program & determines you need the outside CAP training to meet their needs for participation then they & they only can award you the rating as they see fit. Wear of the patch is authorized for completeing any of a few courses, FEMA being the main one. The only state programs I know of involve monitoring flights around power plants to confirm they are clean, but would not occur in case of an emergency. Flying in the safe zone to confirm, etc is done by small UAVs run by the guard.

The $50-100 model would work great if you waive it inches over a non-shielded dirty bomb, or if you were walking around in a nuclear blast zone, but that's not reality. The gear you need to do arieal detection of a low-rad source & filter background is a bit more than $100, but it's not heavy & fits nicely between the seats. The really advanced model Sandia is working on does something like ARCHER in which it creates a map based on radiation return, which is extremely important to make detection more accurate.

ELTHunter

Maybe we don't have a program anymore, but somebody probably needs to tell the DOE and TEMA.  In Tennessee, CAP is in the response plan for a nuclear accidents at both DOE facilities and TVA nuclear plants.  I think it's something most people have forgotten about, but one of the DOE/NNSA guys mentioned it to me the other day.  We have no equipment and a few trained folks left from back in the day.  I guess we could lend moral support.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

DNall

You should move swiftly to address that with them. They'll help you get DHS grants for equipment, provide the FEMA training to use it, and conduct excercises with you to practice the mission over their facilities. That'd be an excellent relationship to develop anyway as I can imagine keeping an eye out for suspicious behavior around their facilities is a concern as well... they can get two birds with one stone as you do air confirmation of their environmental controls & a little HLS while you're at it. I may have some third party contacts at TVA if you need a hand. Get some help from national to develop it.

Eclipse

Quote from: ELTHunter on February 22, 2007, 09:06:51 PM
Maybe we don't have a program anymore, but somebody probably needs to tell the DOE and TEMA.  In Tennessee, CAP is in the response plan for a nuclear accidents at both DOE facilities and TVA nuclear plants.  I think it's something most people have forgotten about, but one of the DOE/NNSA guys mentioned it to me the other day.  We have no equipment and a few trained folks left from back in the day.  I guess we could lend moral support.

CAP is written into the response plans of a LOT of things, doesn't mean we'll come when they call, just means someone typed our name into a box somewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on February 22, 2007, 10:34:50 PM
Quote from: ELTHunter on February 22, 2007, 09:06:51 PM

CAP is written into the response plans of a LOT of things, doesn't mean we'll come when they call, just means someone typed our name into a box somewhere.

I don't think this would happen without somesort of coordination.  Either way.....if you are part of the plan and your wing wants to be part of the plan....the Wing ES guy needs to start securing equipment and training so we can fulfill this mission.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Sorry, it does.  In some cases because of histrotical relationships which no longer exist, but the people writing the response plans don't realize it.

We've found out by accident up our way that our names are on lists with agencies that have no actual CAP contact, not could they have any real idea what we could do...

"That Others May Zoom"