Deploying for a CAP Mission?

Started by PhoenixRisen, February 15, 2007, 01:29:47 AM

PhoenixRisen

Back during hurricane Katrina, I heard many stories of Cadets from other parts of the nation going down to help out.  This made me curious as to how exactly a CAP 'deployment' works. 

Just to throw out an example, lets say I'm a qualified ground team member, living in CAWG.  Another large-scale hurricane happens in LAWG, and I want to go and help. 

How would this work?  Do wings have a list you can be on to be called up to go help?  How would you get there?  (CAP expenses, or personal?) 

Eclipse

In ILWG, for Katrina, and later Rita, units were directed to solicit members for their readiness and report back to their Group CCs, who in turn submitted lists to Wing.

These lists were updated several times a week up to the deployment.

In all cases we don't self-deploy, even if we're "really ready", and in most cases, especially like this one, if your state doesn't send a team, you shouldn't expect to go individually.

Who got to go in ILWG, as in many states, was a function of fortune, politics, legitimate experience, and a conservative deployment strategy.

Many who had to sit on the sidelines who as or more qualified than those who went, but couldn't get away from work, were too far from the teams to connect, etc.

The people from ILWG, anyway, were basically 13 members who knew each other personally, had all worked together on a regular basis, and had a fair amount of command experience, and a good piece of field experience in larger-scale operations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Sorry, just re-read your question and realized you were asking about cadets.

Many of the cadets who deployed to the AO for Katrina, did so without authorization and wound being a liability to the operations.

This has nothing to do with their abilities and everything to do with the ROEs'.

There were also a large number of cadets who arrived on orders and filled important rear echelon jobs.

FEMA and other agencies would not authorize cadets in the field under 18.
Again, their game, not ours.

In ILWG's case, we had a cadet with us who was over 18 and he got to play with the big boys.

As to how you get there - like most CAP activities, you self-transport or get a ride. 

Expenses are on you, that's what CAP is all about.  We deployed with the assumption we would have to be self-sufficient for 5-7+ days, which is a smidge-and-a-half more than we train for.

Its one thing to go camping, go to NESA, or Hawk for a week, its a whole 'nother deal to go 900 miles away and plan to live on just what you carry in an area where there is no power, water, or retail, and to have people depending on you for their survival as well.

I dropped about $600 or so on gear and other expenses.  Another team member spent over $1000 on fuel for his H1 alone.

And that doesn't include the time off work, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Might I ask why you went down in POV's ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

We actually took a mixture of POV's and COV's.

I believe all told we had a convoy of 6 vehicles 3 POV, 3 COV, and 2 trailers.

I don't know how many vehicles we have total in ILWG, but they are spread all over the state, and not all would have been available for our use, anyway.  The ones we took were assigned near the teams or met the team enroute.

In a perfect world we'd have COV's available at all times, but that's just not reality.

Most of the active GTL-types in ILWG don't have access to a COV, and have their own vehicles outfitted for Ground-Sar work, me included.  I prefer to use my own truck whenever possible.

Our initial briefings were that we would deploy in 3-man teams with a chase vehicle each, and had to bring enough gear for 13 people to be self-sufficient for at least a week.  That's a lot of heavy stuff.

There's also the issue of the TYPE of vehicles NHQ is providing.  Since we knew we were going into a disaster area, it would be silly to cram us into the mini-vans and 12/15-packs, while our equipped SUVs sat at home.
If I had to do it again, the pop-up trailer would come with me.  Roughing it is fine if you have to, but there's no reason not to have good facilities if they are available.  A couple of good pop-ups would have made nice command facilities.

As it turned out, because we were operating a week after the event, the minis were fine, though the SUV's did come in handy on occasion.

And regardless, even if it is a COV, you still have to front the fuel costs. A variety of factors delayed those reimbursements for nearly a year.   And several of us didn't bother, electing to take the tax break instead.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

I was under the impression that ILWG had several Corporate Suburbans.
Meh..doesnt matter I guess; I just heard you mention the jeep-on-steroids and my interest piqued.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Eclipse

We do, but as I said they were not necessarily available to go, or were placed in a logistically impractical area, etc.

It also speaks to how you decide to deploy resources.

If you "send everything" to one place, especially far away, you're stuck if something bad or exciting happens at home.

As an aside, the Hummer makes a poor tranport vehicle.  Its great once you get there, but way more trouble than its worth enroute.

Its slow, sucks gas, and has a very uncomfortable, straight-up seating posture.  Imagine sitting in a stiff, straight-backed chair for 13+ hours.

It looked great on Fox news, and upon arrival, but after a few hours on the road a couple of the passengers were asking to trade trucks.

The vehicle on the right is the ILWG DC's van, and what I spent a week in down there - much better suited for the particular missions we did.

With the center seats removed, we were able to mount a PC on a box for navigation, while it being easy in/out with full gear on.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

I have never understood why CAP moved away from the SUVs and full sized vans and went to minis that have less ground clearence then my dachshund.  I suppose we must all do what we can in the name of mpg economy.  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Eclipse

They really haven't moved away from the bigger vans.  It depends on why the vehicle is being issued.

SUV's are only issused to CAP resources involved in SAR work.

The minis are issued to staffers such as LG, Comms, and Wing kings, etc.

The 12 and 15 pack vans are what we are seeing as new vehicles.

The are top-heavy dangerous at highway speeds when fully loaded, but they do allow for the most badn for transport buck with regards to cadets.

Edit: fixed a typo

"That Others May Zoom"

IronRangerMN

hmmmm, SUV's for SAR stuff? i wonder if the minnesota wing has that. If we could lay ours hands on one of them and get our van back from maintanence......  deployable anywer......
Be safe