No more Morse Code

Started by arajca, December 16, 2006, 10:13:23 PM

arajca

The FCC issued a rule yesterday that drops the Morse Code requirement from ALL Amatuer Radio license classes. Details: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/12/15/104/?nc=1

Nathan

Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

MajorChuck

Quote from: Nathan on December 17, 2006, 01:01:36 AM
That's disappointing...

NOT if You dont know code ;)

BTW.... I'm a 20WPM Extra
Maj.Chuck Cook
Commander
Blue Water Composite Squadron GLR-MI-011
GLR/DCS

Nick Critelli

lordmonar

Quote from: Nathan on December 17, 2006, 01:01:36 AM
That's disappointing...

Why?  With today's computers...code is not needed any more and the code requirements were the big reason for people not getting involved with Amature Radio.

I think it is a good move.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pumbaa

With more powerful transmitters, satellite radio/video, internet, cell coverage, etc there is no need for morse code.  It has gone the way of the horse and buggy, the bi-plane, the sailing ship, the coal steam train.

Could you imagine if United Airlines said all trans Atlantic flights would be by bi-plane?  Or how about taking a cruise aboard a coal steamer?

Sure those things are quant and nolstagic, but in todays era, they no longer fill the need.

Morse code was designed for the technology at the time, one that had limited power as well as technological ability.

Morse code needs to ride off into the sunset with dignity and a place in our hearts.. much like the western union telegram which also ceased last year. (or was that 2 now?)

Eclipse

Its about time - only 3 years behind the rest of the world.

"That Others May Zoom"

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: lordmonar on December 17, 2006, 05:03:19 AM
...code is not needed any more

Don't tell SOCOM it's not needed anymore, it's still part of Phase 1
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

They don't make SOCOM for XBox, n00b.  :D
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

The last telegram ever sent was done this year.

"The era of the telegram, an icon of communication dating back 150 years, came to a quiet end last week. Western Union says it delivered its final telegram on Friday. " -NPR

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5186113

Morse Code is a part of our history...

I never learned it to any great degree.  It is another of those things in the past we have to give up to get other things.  Much like one screen movie houses with ushers (and affordable food), vacuum tube radios, Newsreels and automats.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 18, 2006, 12:51:26 AM
The last telegram ever sent was done this year.

"The era of the telegram, an icon of communication dating back 150 years, came to a quiet end last week. Western Union says it delivered its final telegram on Friday. " -NPR

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5186113

Morse Code is a part of our history...

I never learned it to any great degree.  It is another of those things in the past we have to give up to get other things.  Much like one screen movie houses with ushers (and affordable food), vacuum tube radios, Newsreels and automats.

They have not used morse code for telegram for maybe 90 years.  Once automated teletypes started in the in 1920's.  They use Baudot or ASCI systems.

Major Carrales

Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2006, 06:03:04 AM

They have not used morse code for telegram for maybe 90 years.  Once automated teletypes started in the in 1920's.  They use Baudot or ASCI systems.

Yeah, I know, but the loss of the nostalgic feel rings the same.

Major Carrales
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

TankerT

When I got out of the Army, they still had Morse Code Operators... (that wasn't that long ago...)

Do they still have them?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

ZigZag911

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Learned it for a ham ticket (technician, back in the Dark Ages!)...never really liked it, never used it, but still felt a certain glow of accomplishment at getting through that darn 5 wpm test!

It set a threshold for the ham community....hopefully no longer necessary.

Becks

....  ---  .--      ...  .-   -..     :-[

BBATW

lordmonar

Quote from: TankerT on December 20, 2006, 04:19:36 AM
When I got out of the Army, they still had Morse Code Operators... (that wasn't that long ago...)

Do they still have them?

In the USAF the old ditty-bop AFSC is now part of the intel career field and is more of an add on skill as opposed to their primary duties.  Everything is getting more and more automated these days.

Matt

Quote from: Becks on December 20, 2006, 04:54:26 AM
....  ---  .--      ...  .-   -..     :-[

you would...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011