Main Menu

Serious stuff

Started by THRAWN, September 29, 2015, 07:01:45 PM

THRAWN

I have been fortunate to have had many titles in my life: father, husband, commander, officer, special agent... Recently, I have become the unfortunate recipient of another title.

Skin cancer survivor.

How did that happen? Well, I'll tell you. A few weeks back, my beautiful bride was gazing lovingly at my manly features and said in her sweetest voice, "What is that ugly bump on the bridge of your nose?" She has such a way with words, that wife of mine. I shrugged it off. It might be, I explained, a dry patch and I'll glob some coconut oil on it and it'll disappear. I figured this may be the case. I'm kind of a fat kid, and have to sleep with a CPAP so I don't die in my sleep. It makes me look rugged, like I've spent the evening shooting down MiGs. I really thought nothing of it.

Flash forward about a month. As I was shaving my aforementioned manly features one morning, I noticed the bump. By noticed I mean "was shocked by" and bump I mean "second nose growing out of my first nose." Bad sign. I contacted my primary care provider and scheduled an appointment. I really wasn't nervous going into the appointment. I mean, after all, I am totally indestructible. How wrong I was! After a consult that took all of 30 seconds, I was sent on my way with a referral to a dermatologist, about five gallons of free samples of sunscreen, (I didn't even know they made SPF100!) and a stern warning to use both immediately. I did.
How could this have happened? Granted, I'm not 19 and in the shape I was in as a competitive wrestler. I do try to stay active, watch having to many HFJ Days, (that's handful of junk days...Taco King, McDoogals, Burger President...you know...junk...and I'm not trying to get sued by naming names...), and have quit smoking.
Here's the problem: I should have done all of that years ago.

I knew better. I continued to smoke even when I knew it was bad juju. It tells you on the label "known to cause cancer". Duh. But did I listen? Nope. More guts than gray matter. Same with sunscreen. I'd go out, look for crashed airplanes and missing people and did I take even 2 minutes to smear some sunscreen on my ever-so-excellent self? Nope. Why bother? I look great with a tan. It turns out I will look better alive and pasty-skinned-reflecting-my-Irish heritage white than I will dead with a tan. That's the facts, Jack.
In the past few weeks, I've learned a lot about skin cancers and the stupid actions that cause them. There is nothing to say that you should not go outside and camp, fish, track, cliff jump, or whatever activity grabs your fancy. Be smart about it. Take the time to wear sunscreen, and wear it properly. Did you know it expires? I did not. That tube of goo that's been sitting in my glove compartment since the first Clinton administration is gone. I've replaced it with a good, waterproof high SPF tube that I actually use before I venture into the woods or the beach.

Stop smoking.
Now.

There is nothing I would enjoy more than a smoke and a cup of coffee, while sitting on my back deck watching the sunrise. Now, I would rather see my son grow up than continue to pay to kill myself. Check your skin frequently for irregularities. If you have a spot that you suspect is hinky, DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR. Don't be phony tough and shrug it off. It is worth the price of a copay to make sure that you're around to see the next Haley's Comet.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

winterg

You ain't just peddling vacuum.

I quite smoking almost 4 years ago and recently cut caffeine intake by 2/3. Not easy and I still miss both sometimes but I can only hope I made the decision early enough.

But I've been pretty good about sunscreen after an unfortunate incident on the flightline at Edwards AFB in the early 90's.

Here's to hoping you live a long pasty life, Thrawn!

TheSkyHornet

Your post is golden as always. Wishing you the best in your health....to include those strikingly manly features.

At 24, I was told that I need to start taking extreme care of myself, especially in regard to food, because by the time of 35 or 40, I won't be able to go back. So, what was I doing wrong? Apparently nothing, but I had an underlying liver issue that has really not changed in the last two years for the better, pretty stagnant actually. Kept me from further my career in the military. Almost grounded me from flying civilian. Every time I go in for a blood test, I wait around for a doctor to tell me "Well, it hasn't gotten any better" and put me on some new medication that's going to save me from an untimely death. In fact, I just got put on some new meds this past week, and in another 6 months, I'll probably get that phone call again saying "Well, it still hasn't gotten any better." Probably never will.

Live life to the fullest, but do it responsibly. We'd all like to go peacefully in our sleep or in a painless blink of an eye, but usually it doesn't work that way, and sometimes it's a very long, agonizing process. You talk about "I'm ready," and then you face it and think, "Erm...no, I'm not ready."

Take care of yourself when you're young, kids. It's never too early to stop the bad habits, but it can be too late.

SarDragon

My personal health soapbox has always been hearing. My dad suffered from noise induced hearing loss during his 30 years in the Navy. I took that lesson very seriously.

In my 20 year career, I used every available means and opportunity to protect my hearing. That included muffs and plugs when appropriate. My first six years were spent around aircraft, and the remainder of 21 were spent in sometimes noisy electronics shops. I sometimes endured derogatory labels regarding my manhood, but my hearing was much more important.

A couple of years ago, I had my hearing tested. There was the inevitable loss due to aging, but the tech was surprised how well my yest turned out. He even went so far as to confirm my age, because the results were not representative of a 65 yo.

The biggest cause of hearing loss for adults today is loud music. LOUD MUSIC! And this isn't just from the small house sized speakers on the stage. It's also from headphones and ear buds. They can deliver sound pressure levels sufficient to cause immediate hearing damage.

Take heed, young 'uns.
It can, and maybe will, happen to you. If you want to save your retirement money for cruises and other fun stuff, instead of buying hearing aids, now is the time to think about it. If you haven't priced hearing aids lately, they can run three to four grand a pair. That will pay for a nice one week cruise.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

I know of a number ex CAP cadets who were not able to join the military because of their lousy hearing.
And just about every one of them could trace their hearing loss to listening to loud music on ear buds.

THRAWN

Quote from: SarDragon on September 29, 2015, 10:27:57 PM
My personal health soapbox has always been hearing. My dad suffered from noise induced hearing loss during his 30 years in the Navy. I took that lesson very seriously.

In my 20 year career, I used every available means and opportunity to protect my hearing. That included muffs and plugs when appropriate. My first six years were spent around aircraft, and the remainder of 21 were spent in sometimes noisy electronics shops. I sometimes endured derogatory labels regarding my manhood, but my hearing was much more important.

A couple of years ago, I had my hearing tested. There was the inevitable loss due to aging, but the tech was surprised how well my yest turned out. He even went so far as to confirm my age, because the results were not representative of a 65 yo.

The biggest cause of hearing loss for adults today is loud music. LOUD MUSIC! And this isn't just from the small house sized speakers on the stage. It's also from headphones and ear buds. They can deliver sound pressure levels sufficient to cause immediate hearing damage.

Take heed, young 'uns.
It can, and maybe will, happen to you. If you want to save your retirement money for cruises and other fun stuff, instead of buying hearing aids, now is the time to think about it. If you haven't priced hearing aids lately, they can run three to four grand a pair. That will pay for a nice one week cruise.

Dave, you must be listening to the chatter in my living room. Bridey and I have had this conversation recently. My 6 year old is doing the "take us to Splashwater Falls" routine about getting an iSomething with ear buds. I'm not against it, but no ear phones. My better half is of the opinion that they're fine. She makes this point loudly because she has to have the TV on volume level 30 and she still can't hear it. She hates when I make that point.

Bottom line, all you cadets and youngish SM types, you get one body. Don't break it.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Cliff_Chambliss

Thrawn an excellent post. 
   These things do catch up with you.  My wife has been a natural Tomboy and an active outdoorsy person her entire life.  Horses, dog training and dog shows Herding, Obedience, Agility almost all outdoors.  Her time in her gardens, days at the range as she unlimbered her arsenal.  Days at the lake and sailboats.  Not to mention camping and many miles of hiking mountain trails, and of course the many hours shared flying.  She is also a very fair complexion natural blonde, but Melanoma killed her Mother.  Starting about three years ago the doctors noticed a couple areas of concern.  Since then she had had spots removed from her arms, legs, back, face, and neck.  She gets a semi-annual checkup and once a year a full "blue light" examination looking for possible areas.  She may as well be a vampire now for she is to avoid direct sunlight.  Wide brimmed hats and long sleeves are he order of the day.  No swim suits, no lounging on the boat deck, limit the time in her gardens and on her pond.  60+ years of full bore living has now caught up with her.  She does not have and to date has not had any form of cancer, everything has been pre-cancerous and that's where we hope to keep it but it sure has put a crimp on outdoor activities. 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.