Anybody have Senior or master aircrew wings?

Started by N6RVT, July 31, 2018, 07:46:01 PM

N6RVT

Seems to me these would probably almost never be awarded.  How many people are going to do 3 years as a scanner without ever upgrading to Observer?

In one case I saw someone wearing senior aircrew and when I asked, they were a pilot of over 3 years and 100 hours who thought senior aircrew looked more impressive than basic pilot wings.  In this case they had never become an observer as they were already a pilot.

As everyone on the plane is a scanner, is this technically correct?

LSThiker

I am not far away from getting senior AC wings.  My largest hurdle for master AC will be the number of actual missions.  I just never felt like going from Scanner to Observer.  I like sitting in the back of the aircraft and being an AP or a MS. 

Now, I might at some point start MO training, but I am in no major rush for it.  I have been a mission scanner since 2003 (unfortunately, I did not keep track of my hours prior to the AC wing creation;  oh well, no loss really). 

Also, when it comes to wearing either pilot, observer, or aircrew, then:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one badge representing the highest CAP aeronautical rating (pilot before
observer) will be worn.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 31, 2018, 07:46:01 PM
Seems to me these would probably almost never be awarded.  How many people are going to do 3 years as a scanner without ever upgrading to Observer?

Lots - there are a number of AC ratings now beyond "just" scanner, not to mention Scanner is an important job, and as LST indicates,
many members like sitting in back.

If you're a good GIIEP operator or AP guy, or SDIS (BITD), you're more valuable back there then as an MP,
since that's the reason to fly.

I have been "only" a Scanner about 15 years - completed the Observer curriculum & tasks, but never got the flights in,
even >wrote<  an AP curriculum before there was such a thing, then I got busy with "CAP other", not the least of which was advanced based staff roles,
but I was able to maintain Scanner with the occasional sortie once in a while, etc. 

I have to imagine I have enough flights for at least senior.

FWIW, I made Scanner when the requirement was an ECI test and two flights recorded on a business card.

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 31, 2018, 07:46:01 PM
As everyone on the plane is a scanner, is this technically correct?

No, or at least not necessarily.  You have to be at least a Scanner to start training as an MP,
but re-currency as a Scanner is not automatic - it's supposed to be via the table of equivalencies,
but doesn't (or didn't for years) happen automatically with Form 91, etc., and a lot of MPs
"don't care" until they reach a "certain age", can't fly anymore, and realize their Scanner / Observer
lapsed 10 years ago and they have to start from scratch.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2018, 08:58:49 PM
No, or at least not necessarily.  You have to be at least a Scanner to start training as an MP,
but re-currency as a Scanner is not automatic - it's supposed to be via the table of equivalencies,
but doesn't (or didn't for years) happen automatically with Form 91, etc., and a lot of MPs
"don't care" until they reach a "certain age", can't fly anymore, and realize their Scanner / Observer
lapsed 10 years ago and they have to start from scratch.

I am still current as a scanner as well as an observer.  Way more than 5 years so time isn't a factor

Question is this:  I have 40 hours as a scanner and 60 hours as an observer.  Does this qualify for Senior Aircrew?

Eclipse

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 01, 2018, 04:58:39 PM
Question is this:  I have 40 hours as a scanner and 60 hours as an observer.  Does this qualify for Senior Aircrew?

No, it's per the respective rating, not cumulative, so you're 40 short on MO and 60 short on MS.

"That Others May Zoom"