Main Menu

Specialty rating

Started by huey, June 14, 2018, 08:44:03 PM

Eclipse

One thing I found recently, and mentioned here, was that duty assignments automatically
enroll the member in the respective track with a rating of "none", so that really shouldn't be a "thing" any more.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2018, 02:06:32 AM
One thing I found recently, and mentioned here, was that duty assignments automatically
enroll the member in the respective track with a rating of "none", so that really shouldn't be a "thing" any more.

This is true and all it does is keep an SUI AOC from happening.  I have seen too many people be in a duty position for years and never attain a technician rating.  I'm not sure what good it is to have this as an SUI question.  Maybe something like "If member has been in duty position for more than XX months then they should have at least a technician rating."  I know there are ways around that as well but the way the SUI looks at this area is basically useless and it was even before eServices did the automatic enrollment.

OldGuy

Good mentor-ship: in my first year back - scanner wings, level II twice. Absent mentor-ship - not so much!

Brad

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 18, 2018, 03:09:22 AM
Maybe something like "If member has been in duty position for more than XX months then they should have at least a technician rating."

Actually that's exactly what it's used for, since it identifies either members who possibly need to work more towards improving their skillset within their duty position, or the issue of a OTJ trainer or professional development officer not doing their jobs.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

EMT-83

If anything, this will discourage members from becoming true SMEs. Instead of excelling at one duty assignment, members are sent down the path of being mediocre at several.

Laplace

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 18, 2018, 03:09:22 AM

This is true and all it does is keep an SUI AOC from happening.  I have seen too many people be in a duty position for years and never attain a technician rating.  I'm not sure what good it is to have this as an SUI question.  Maybe something like "If member has been in duty position for more than XX months then they should have at least a technician rating."  I know there are ways around that as well but the way the SUI looks at this area is basically useless and it was even before eServices did the automatic enrollment.

I will still write up a SUI AoC if the member has not progressed to Technician or Senior in a reasonable amount of time (2 years or more).  Not that AoCs matter in the long run, but it is a little nudge to the Squadron CC and Staff member.  I also talk to Wing Staff members about monitoring, mentoring and encouraging their Squadron counterparts to progress through the respective specialty track.

kwe1009

Quote from: Laplace on June 19, 2018, 01:10:41 PM

I do the same thing.

I will still write up a SUI AoC if the member has not progressed to Technician or Senior in a reasonable amount of time (2 years or more).  Not that AoCs matter in the long run, but it is a little nudge to the Squadron CC and Staff member.  I also talk to Wing Staff members about monitoring, mentoring and encouraging their Squadron counterparts to progress through the respective specialty track.

Eclipse

All this did / does was close an unfunded / unenforceable mandate hole in the inspection process.
It was a constant source of unnecessary discrepancies that just mandated administrative action to no benefit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 19, 2018, 01:34:36 PM

I do the same thing.

Just keep in mind that some tracks (R&R for example) take 2 years minimum in CAP and require another track be at technician before you can get to technician level there.

EMT-83

Not exactly within the purview of an SUI inspector. The inspector's job is to find and report the facts; any action after that is a command decision.

etodd

I will still write up a SUI AoC if the member has not progressed to Technician or Senior in a reasonable amount of time (2 years or more). 

Nearly three years now and I'm not working on a track. I'm a Mission Pilot, Airborne Photographer, Mission Observer, Mission Scanner. I fly several hours a month on Army Missions, O'Rides, Transport, and more as needed. I've brought in new Cadets to the squadron and help in that area when I can. I stay so busy being active, that I don't have enough hours to work on tracks to get a certificate. I'm a worker bee. Maybe at our last SUI someone "wrote us up" because of me. I don't know. But ask any squadron members and they'll tell you they are very happy with my contributions. That means more to me that any ribbon, certificate, or rank.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on June 19, 2018, 05:06:40 PM

I will still write up a SUI AoC if the member has not progressed to Technician or Senior in a reasonable amount of time (2 years or more). 

Nearly three years now and I'm not working on a track. I'm a Mission Pilot, Airborne Photographer, Mission Observer, Mission Scanner. I fly several hours a month on Army Missions, O'Rides, Transport, and more as needed. I've brought in new Cadets to the squadron and help in that area when I can. I stay so busy being active, that I don't have enough hours to work on tracks to get a certificate. I'm a worker bee. Maybe at our last SUI someone "wrote us up" because of me. I don't know. But ask any squadron members and they'll tell you they are very happy with my contributions. That means more to me that any ribbon, certificate, or rank.

You may want to consider being in the ES track.

Eclipse

Do you have an actual, appointed staff role within the unit?

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Holding Pattern on June 19, 2018, 05:13:42 PM

I was assigned to it when I joined, but as I said, time is an issue. As well as so many things on the list of things to do, that don't exist in our squadron. I forget now, is been a couple years, but things like a library and certain file keeping, or some things like that that don't exist and can't be pulled together for some reason. I'll try and go back soon and look. We have ES officers in our squadron, so they must have skipped over the things I mention.  Kind of like when I started AP a couple years ago and so much of the Mission Task Guide was out of date and we just had to skip some items on the SQTR sheet. Some times you just have to "make do".  LOL

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on June 19, 2018, 06:05:47 PM

I was assigned to it when I joined, but as I said, time is an issue. As well as so many things on the list of things to do, that don't exist in our squadron. I forget now, is been a couple years, but things like a library and certain file keeping, or some things like that that don't exist and can't be pulled together for some reason. I'll try and go back soon and look. We have ES officers in our squadron, so they must have skipped over the things I mention.  Kind of like when I started AP a couple years ago and so much of the Mission Task Guide was out of date and we just had to skip some items on the SQTR sheet. Some times you just have to "make do".  LOL

The training plan and library are the only 2 checkboxes that you probably haven't fulfilled. TBH, Neither of them take terribly long, especially if you work on it with another person.

And there really isn't a time limit.

Laplace

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 19, 2018, 05:03:15 PM

Not exactly within the purview of an SUI inspector. The inspector's job is to find and report the facts; any action after that is a command decision.

It is a fact that the Staff Officer has not progressed in a reasonable amount of time.  It is noted for the use of the Commander.  He or she can do whatever they want with this information.

Area of Concern (AoC). A special inspection report entry indicating a minor weakness which does not violate a directive and is listed when mission accomplishment, program purpose or membership satisfaction is impaired or threatened.

In whatever role we serve in CAP, whether it be flying, ground pounding or in an administrative function, we should strive to be proficient, knowledgeable and up to date.  Surely, progression in your specialty track can help with this.

Eclipse

Quote from: Laplace on June 19, 2018, 11:20:44 PMSurely, progression in your specialty track can help with this.

No one would argue this, per se, but progression in a given track is not required, which makes the AoC
a waste of time.  They are, for the most part, ignored on the whole. (Probably something to bring up
in the IG thread).

Do you fire an otherwise effective staffer because he's not interested in PD?

The reality is, the effective staff officers generally complete the requirements as a matter of
course in their duties, and the ineffective ones will just check the boxes and move on.

A unit with the charter minimums does not generally have the manpower to be bulldogging people
about something they aren't generally interested in already.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2018, 11:29:21 PMA unit with the charter minimums does not generally have the manpower to be bulldogging people about something they aren't generally interested in already.

Bingo! More often than not, staff officers wear two, three or more hats. This nonsense about activity pursuing multiple Specialty Tracks or the unit is going to get dinged needs to stop. The PDO who also gets pressed into covering admin and personnel won't have the time to get really good at PD if he's too busy chasing his tail with other ratings - to the detriment of the member and unit.

etodd

Quote from: Holding Pattern on June 19, 2018, 06:50:54 PM
Quote from: etodd on June 19, 2018, 06:05:47 PM

The training plan and library are the only 2 checkboxes that you probably haven't fulfilled. TBH, Neither of them take terribly long, especially if you work on it with another person.

And there really isn't a time limit.

I'm sure you are probably correct. I looked at the Technician test awhile back and at only 20 questions, knocked that out quickly one night. I still need IS-800.    100,200, and 700 all seemed very repetitive to me. I'll see what 800 is like soon.

Spaceman3750

My understanding from my recent SUI is that AoC's are no longer a thing. It also does not appear in the ratings definition section of the SUI template. It might still be somewhere else, I didn't look that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk