What are some medical positions that I can become with an EMR certification?

Started by stockfordcd, May 15, 2018, 11:50:36 PM

stockfordcd

I had a question about the medical positions that I can become. I am knowledgeable about the Medical Officer, Nurse, and Paramedic however, my friend was telling me there was a Tech Medic, is this true? I have an EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) certification which is just a lower EMT certification. Am I able to use my EMR certification to get qualification as a medical officer or do I strictly have to get my EMT?
Thanks!

Lord of the North

Please see CAPR 160-1 para 1-8, which states "Qualifications of Health Service Personnel. Any health professional or technician may qualify for a health service appointment in CAP, provided that proof of current unrestricted licensure, registration, or certification, where such is required by law or regulation, is furnished. Only physicians will have the title of "medical officer." Only nurse categories will have the title "nurse officer." All others will be known as "health service officers." The health disciplines of members that may serve as a unit's Health Service program officer can be found on the CAP Health Service website at: http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/health-service/. If a unit has more than one health professional assigned, the most senior in terms of level of education and training should be the designated health service program officer and any others as his/her assistants. CAP members who are retired health professionals, but still wish to serve as health service officers, may do so, provided they retain current state licensure. Many states have categories of licenses at a lower cost, which allow trained individuals to perform professional duties as a volunteer (uncompensated)."

Eclipse

You could be the unit Health Services Officer.

Medical Officers are only MDs.

Nurse Officers are only Nurses.

FYI - there is no "Health Services" per se in CAP beyond a lot of rehtoric and
members typing "wouldn't it be great if..." on Facebook and other forums.

See 160-1 for details:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R160_001_AA05CF4BF3FC5.pdf

...as well as >LOTS< of typing on CT.

(LoN beat me to it)

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2018, 12:10:46 AM
FYI - there is no "Health Services" per se in CAP beyond a lot of rehtoric and
members typing "wouldn't it be great if..." on Facebook and other forums.

See 160-1 for details:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R160_001_AA05CF4BF3FC5.pdf

(LoN beat me to it)

Most HSO's that I have run into have no concept of CAPR 160-1 and think that they should be providing medical treatment at CAP events.  They lose their mind whenever I tell them that they aren't allowed to do that.  This program is about as useful as the NCO program in CAP.  Now let the gnashing of teeth begin.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 16, 2018, 12:56:46 AM
Most HSO's that I have run into have no concept of CAPR 160-1 and think that they should be providing medical treatment at CAP events.  They lose their mind whenever I tell them that they aren't allowed to do that. 

((sadly)) +1

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

The only useful pupose of the HSO program is a means of rapid promotion and avoidance of Professional Development requirements.

sarmed1

There are some very useful things that HSO's can do, unfortunately they are no where near as exciting as most HSO's wish they would be.  In particular at the squadron level.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel