G1000 User Waypoint Entry by SD Card

Started by ee1993, November 01, 2018, 07:55:05 PM

ee1993

Does anyone here us a PC and SC card to enter multiple user waypoints into the G1000?  I have found that this can be done using a PC text editor, such as Notpad, and savinf the file with a .fpl extension.  I like to add descriptive test in the comment line but that is too tedious in the air.

Here is the Garmin file format for a single user waypoint:

<waypoint>
         <identifier>HRDAM</identifier>
         <type>USER WAYPOINT</type>
         <country-code></country-code>
         <lat>35.6000</lat>
         <lon>-80.2350</lon>
         <comment>HIGH ROCK DAM CTL28C</comment>
</waypoint>

Add as many waypoints as needed by copy, paste and edit, then save the file and transfer to an empty SC card formatted FAT32.  Insert the card in the top slot on the G1000 MFD then use the FPL key to locate the file and press the Import softkey.  All the user waypoints will now be placed in the the User Waypoint list and are available for DirectTo or Flightplan.

etodd

I've used Skyvector to export fpl files for import into G1000

https://skyvector.com

But if its a lot of points, its sure easier to put it all in Foreflight. Then fly the iPad, using heading mode on the G1000.  Especially for many SAR searches. 
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

ee1993

Thanks,  I did not realize that skyvector would export a Garmin .fpl file.  I tried it and it was easy, did not even require a log in.  Still may want to edit the file to add comments and more descriptive names to the user waypoints.

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on November 01, 2018, 08:47:11 PM

But if its a lot of points, its sure easier to put it all in Foreflight. Then fly the iPad, using heading mode on the G1000.  Especially for many SAR searches.

This is a nifty approach to managing automation. 

I wonder whether the Garmin products (G1000 specifically) have robust security software that would prevent malware from being introduced through downloads from online vendors like Skyvector[dot]com?  Does the software for the G1000 suite of cockpit avionics have robust defenses?

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on November 02, 2018, 03:38:32 PM

This is a nifty approach to managing automation. 

I wonder whether the Garmin products (G1000 specifically) have robust security software that would prevent malware from being introduced through downloads from online vendors like Skyvector[dot]com?  Does the software for the G1000 suite of cockpit avionics have robust defenses?

The .fpl file is a simple text file. But yes, it would behove the pilot/user to make sure he uses a freshly formatted SD card, and then to also do a quick inspection of the card contents after downloading the Skyvector file to look for any hidden files.  The defense should be on the user as I'm not sure the G1000 is running any type  of defenses.

That said, I've done it numerous times and have yet to have any issues with Skyvector.

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on November 02, 2018, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: Live2Learn on November 02, 2018, 03:38:32 PM

... if its a lot of points, its sure easier to put it all in Foreflight. Then fly the iPad, using heading mode on the G1000.  Especially for many SAR searches.

... Does the software for the G1000 suite of cockpit avionics have robust defenses?

...The defense should be on the user as I'm not sure the G1000 is running any type  of defenses.

That said, I've done it numerous times and have yet to have any issues with Skyvector.

Hmmm.   Sounds like "I've flown in less than 1 mile visibility lotsa times and never had any hit any wires."  Perhaps "Yet" should follow "hit any wires".   

Pls don't think I'm raining on your great idea (it IS a very good one!).  I just recall more than one report of people who have been hacked just for fun, or for other reasons.  I think your suggestions for assuring your SD cards are sanitary are good, maybe about all we can do.  They're kinda like doing virus scans on a thumb drive before touching any files on it with a laptop.  Whatever.  From what I hear smart phones are naked in that area too.  Maybe part of this thread goes best under "opsec"?   :o

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on November 02, 2018, 10:59:38 PM

I think your suggestions for assuring your SD cards are sanitary are good, maybe about all we can do.

Well, yes, at some point we have a choice as to ... do all we can do and hope for the best .... or go live under a rock.  ;D

Every 28 days, someone in each Squadron downloads a new Garmin database, on their personal computer usually, and installs it in the airplane. We hope for the best.

ee1993

I wrote a Python script for creating user waypoints and saving to a .fpl file for import int the G1000.  I also have a compiled executable version that does not require Python installed. If anyone is interested in trying it , send me a PM and I'll email the script or give you a link to get the executable.